Author Topic: Pressure Cooker Advice needed!  (Read 12942 times)

Offline CSNeoM4A1

• Prepper
Pressure Cooker Advice needed!
« on: February 24, 2009, 12:56:30 PM »
I am looking at getting a pressure cooker.  I want to be able to cook foods, especially pinto beans faster in normal times, and with less fuel during SHTF times.

I have used large commercial ones at work, but I am in the market for a residential one (smaller one).

Anyone else have one and like theirs or have any advice on these things?

I looked at a few at the store today in the $30 to $40 range but was't too impressed with the quality.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
Re: Pressure Cooker Advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 01:14:34 PM »
This one seems like a solid deal

http://www.canningpantry.com/presto-pressure-canner-23qt.html

Plan to add one for canning myself this season.

Offline Tinker

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 01:50:18 PM »
My recommendation is to get a pressure canner/cooker without a rubber gasket. I use one from All American that has a metal-metal seal. It will run you about $200, but if properly cared for, it will outlast you. I am not sure if the presto model uses one or not, but  rubber seals are a pain in the ass.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 02:01:44 PM »
Tinker +1 and you are spot on!  Nope the one I recommended has no gasket.  I grew up with my grandmother teaching me about stuff like this, I think her pressure cooker predated the use of rubber in consumer goods,  :D  My dad is still using it.

Offline CSNeoM4A1

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 02:07:54 PM »
Tinker +1 and you are spot on!  Nope the one I recommended has no gasket.  I grew up with my grandmother teaching me about stuff like this, I think her pressure cooker predated the use of rubber in consumer goods,  :D  My dad is still using it.

I checked out the one you linked too...I think it may be too large for me.

Do you know if the smaller 16qt version on that site is also without a runbber gasket?  I checked it out but could not determine that.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 02:25:28 PM »
Here is the PDF of the owners manual for the 16 qt

http://www.gopresto.com/downloads/instructions/01755.pdf

Looks like I have been lied to and both have a gasket,  >:( 

Where can I find one like grandmaws?  Dang it!

Offline Tinker

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 04:18:26 PM »
Every All American pressure cooker has a metal-metal seal. I have dealt with their customer service before and found them very helpful.

A few tips to keep your pressure cooker in good condition.
  • Never drop it! You will deform the pressure cooker, preventing it from getting a good seal.
  • Don't use aluminum foil in the All American aluminum pressure cookers, it will cause pitting
  • Use distilled water whenever possible, clean it after each use, and make sure the metal seal is lubbed
  • Loosen the wingnuts while the cooker is still hot. If you wait until its cool, you are going to have a hard time getting the lid off

Bighorn

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 02:45:24 PM »
I looked at the All American's but for the price of one you can get three Presto's. So I bought a Presto to try it out. Today I canned 3 quarts of homemade chicken broth. It was much easier than I thought it would be. Very time intensive, but if we were to really get into canning it would be realistic to purchase another Presto to make it more effiecient.

The presto 23 qt is a great unit with good instructions. It is well made and has a safety latch to ensure that it isnt opened under pressure. I will probably purchase some extra rubber goods, just in case for the future.

Tony

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 06:28:21 PM »
Amazon.com has caught on, I was waiting for the Presto 23qt. to come down in price for the past month and instead it has increased in price by almost $20! eBay is not much better. Get it while the gettin's good people. :)

Offline johnnyb_good30

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 11:16:53 PM »
hey do thay work for  top roman ??So i dont have take the full 3min for them?

Offline simpleguy

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 03:07:59 PM »
I say watch craigslist and estate sales.  Replace the rubber seal ($5-7) and replace the pressure guage ($5-10) and you will have an awesome pressure cooker at a reasonable price.

Offline Bob

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 06:27:20 PM »
I use a pressure cooker myself. 

Use caution when cooking beans.  Beans foam up inside P-C's.  The residue can block the vent and pop the cooker.

Offline Grasshopper2Ant

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 06:38:37 PM »
I just recently bought the 23qt Presto and I love it!  The only thing I would recommend is, if you live below 1000 ft, get the 3 piece pressure regulator -- it does 5lb, 10lb and 15lb.  I really think they should have sold the pressure canner with the 3 piece regulator instead of the one it comes with.

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 09:27:30 AM »
Dont waste time with a cheap small one (presto) You will regret it and end up spending more money in the long run. I just bought an all american 921. It doesnt have rubber seals and is large enough to get some stuff done without having to stay up all night.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 10:57:19 AM »
I love my 23 qt. Presto.... Mom got it for me for my birthday a few years back.  Actually, I am also "storing" hers...  hehehehe so I have two!  One day she might want it back, but until then, I use it more than she does.
I love having 2 - I can pressure can all my stock in one day instead of 2-3. I beg for turkey carcasses from extended family, neighbors and friends after Thanksgiving.  After all, most people throw away all those good bones - and a LOT of meat as well.  Anyway, I usually end up with about 40-50 quart jars of homemade turkey stock that I use throughout the year in any recipe calling for chicken broth or boillon.  It makes my soups the best at the church potlucks, and it is so nice to have healthy yummy flavorful broth in my storage.  Besides, it kind of counts as water storage as well - if you have to cook rice or beans anyway, doing it in turkey stock makes a yummier tasting meal than plain water (and you can save your water for drinking!)
sorry - I got distracted there.  My friend has an All-American, and it seemed more difficult to use, but that is probably because I am used to my Presto.  I can see how it would last longer (hers was her mom's, but I have my mom's too, so dunno).  It definitely looks sturdier and less likely to break.  Maybe if I ever have to get another one, I should invest in an All-American, but frankly, if I get another canner at this point, it would be a water bather to speed up the 100+ bottles of peaches I do in a year (and yes, they are all consumed as well in that year - you cannot beat peaches bottled in their own juice instead of sugar water.  we fight over who gets to drink the peach juice when the fruit is gone.  ooops - there I go getting distracted again.....)

But I have never used it as a pressure cooker, just canner, and in Nov/Dec, a REALLY REALLY REALLY big stock pot (have you ever tried making stock out of 6-8 turkeys carcasses at a time?  I think if I had 4 23-qt pots I still would not have enough!)

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 08:36:07 AM »
I am also a fan of the All American and have a a 21.5 quart model.  They are not cheap at +/- $200, but they will last a lifetime.

With all pressure cookers and canners, remember to have it checked from time to time to insure they are properly regulated and everything is working properly.  To do this call your local Extension Office and ask if they check pressure cookers/canners.  They should have a home economist on staff who will do this for free or a modest fee.  Though less essential with pressure cooking, if you have a dual use cooker/canner, it is very important if you are canning; you need to maintain a certain amount of pressure for specific amount of time to insure proper bacterial kill.

Offline Grasshopper2Ant

• Survivor
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 11:20:20 AM »
A lot of it will depend upon what type of stove top you have.

Offline Rosesandtea

• Survivor
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 12:16:39 PM »
Has anyone got one of the TFal/Mirro ones?   I am trying to find one that I can get sent over here; Ace Hardware will ship things over here and has the Mirro pressure canners, so I am thinking about going with them.  Cheaper than the better ones, maybe, but when I have to pay over $80 postage as well (and I know I'm going to get slapped with customs) I think that it's all I can afford!  I hope someone will have something good to say about the mirro.... please pretty please....

Notsonutso

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 06:53:08 AM »
Amazon.com has caught on, I was waiting for the Presto 23qt. to come down in price for the past month and instead it has increased in price by almost $20! eBay is not much better. Get it while the gettin's good people. :)

Yeppers, the price is up all over.  I bought my presto 23qt. last year for $69 on sale, a good price.  The same unit was recently on sale at the same store for $99.  I did research cost and quality and read very good things about the presto.  But I'm wishing now, that I had invested in the All American because it doesn't have the gasket to worry about.  I bought an extra gasket and vacuum packed it, but I have this nagging feeling.  Maybe just a couple more....cuz ya just never know.  It would suck to have 200-300 jars waiting to be processed and no gasket.......nightmare!

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 06:28:55 PM »
Use caution when cooking beans.  Beans foam up inside P-C's.  The residue can block the vent and pop the cooker.

Add a few tablespoons of oil to the cooking liquid the next time.  It greatly reduces foaming.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2009, 09:30:24 AM »
Alright!

I'm checking out the All-American and I think having a rugged, "no-gasket" canner is the way to go just in case the SHTF (and even if it doesn't) but I have some questions.

I understand the necessity of sanitizing the jars but I imagine most folks don't actually buy the big metal sanitizer pots for sanitizing their jars. They just use the pressure canner to sanitize them and then turn around, fill the jars and seal them with the same pressure canner, right? I've even seen one video where a guy says he sanitizes his jars in the dishwasher! Is that a safe practice?

Thanks for your advice!

(I remember my mom canning when I was really young but I wasn't paying attention as I should have, darn it.)

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 06:59:58 AM »
Alright!

I'm checking out the All-American and I think having a rugged, "no-gasket" canner is the way to go just in case the SHTF (and even if it doesn't) but I have some questions.

I understand the necessity of sanitizing the jars but I imagine most folks don't actually buy the big metal sanitizer pots for sanitizing their jars. They just use the pressure canner to sanitize them and then turn around, fill the jars and seal them with the same pressure canner, right? I've even seen one video where a guy says he sanitizes his jars in the dishwasher! Is that a safe practice?

I do mine in the dishwasher.  I hit the Sanitize button.  All good.
I have never had a problem with my home-canned foods.

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 11:31:16 AM »
I am looking at getting a pressure cooker.  I want to be able to cook foods, especially pinto beans faster in normal times, and with less fuel during SHTF times.

I have used large commercial ones at work, but I am in the market for a residential one (smaller one).

Anyone else have one and like theirs or have any advice on these things?

I looked at a few at the store today in the $30 to $40 range but was't too impressed with the quality.

I suggest a pressure cooker for cooking food, a pressure canner for canning food. Don't try to use one to do both.