Author Topic: Why Dollar Tree is good for preppers  (Read 29998 times)

Offline Gunnywag

• Survivor
Re: Why Dollar Tree is good for preppers
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 03:26:32 PM »
3 packs of dial soap
brand name tooth paste
brand name tooth brushes

Years supply for $20-$30 bucks!

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2013, 03:48:52 PM »
All the dollar store , the dint and dings,T J max, and big lots , all got shopped today by my wife.
tomorrows 1 3/4 hour drive to shop ,  Sam's , harbor freight , pro bass discount store,a bigger discount chain ,and Al dies.
A couple of weeks ago i got a box of dog treats 12 Lbs for 1.00  .
My GIRLS LOVE THE PEPERONI SLICES  at the dollar store , and it last forever.
Batteries , band aids, lighters, can openers,baking soda, dog food, .
My youngest told some lady 1 is none 2 is one, dad said get 5 ,LOL.

Offline fzrspirit

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2013, 07:28:19 PM »
The items I buy when I go there (at least the ones that have not been mentioned)

5 pack of emergency candles (each candle lasts 5+ hours)
Tea lights (16 in a bag--I think)
3 pack of lighters

Offline Gunnywag

• Survivor
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2013, 05:27:45 PM »
Long BBQ lighters - AntiPersp - Small ZipLock baggie - + + +

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2013, 08:59:52 AM »
Due to this thread I actually went out of my way to go to a Dollar Store the other day. There is some good prepper items in there. And for BOBs.

I actually went fora pair of reading glasses after I borrowed a friends at her house and decided maybe I needed a pair (held off on 2-5 of them as I am not still convinced I needed them, but maybe sleep) and got SP a little solar powered dancing flower to teach her about solar power in a fun way.

Cedar

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2013, 09:19:35 AM »
We use dollar store to stock out "go away box". Or "grab box" if we need to leave, can grab a few of these boxes and are on the road in <10 min with BOBs. Recently used on a camping trip just to see how they work. Need to rework some items. But overall good.

Essentially a cleaned cat litter box or 5 gal bucket with lid stocked full of supplies that would last a family for 72 hours or so. For all those people who say "I'm coming to stay with you if something happens". A) no your not. B) I like you, so you won't meet business end of our security system, but here is a box that will keep you alive for a few days. Take care and you should have planned better. Go forth grasshopper, the ants are stocked and planned.

Stock canned meats
Pancake mixes
spices
rice
beans
lighters
life straw (not available at dollar store)
drink mixes
some first aid items (alcohol, few rolls of TP, safety pins, band aids, peroxide, toothbrush and paste)
can openers
few bottles of water
etc.

Offline contractor

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2015, 01:46:12 PM »
There is nothing wrong with using super glue to seal a wound, its taught for emergency trauma training for solders overseas and for other hostile area quasi solders. We even used it  for live tissue training and it worked fine. Your right, its better than bleeding out, if you want something good for a med kit buy some quick clot/gauze mixture, it works great, its a little pricey but you only need one bag per kit and if you need it nothing works as good as it does. Just make sure you get the new stuff not the stuff which generates heat.

Offline texmex

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • The Ministry Podcast
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2015, 03:39:50 PM »
My favorite places to find things are probably already mentioned, but pawn shops, garage sales, flea markets, the almighty Craigslist and eBay.

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2015, 09:48:09 AM »
My favorite places to find things are probably already mentioned, but pawn shops, garage sales, flea markets, the almighty Craigslist and eBay.

Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of space heaters and rain barrels on craigslist lately.

Offline AxeMan

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New & Learning
    • Axe and Answered
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2016, 07:21:37 AM »
It's funny this thread is here as the other day I found some supplies at a Dollar Tree (for a $1 of course) that were 3 to 5 X more pricey at other stores within walking distance from it.

Of course you need to be choosy as not everything's a good deal, but there are some killer deals there.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2016, 07:50:43 PM »
New DS is going up in town next to Walmart. I'll have to stop in and look/see  ;D

Offline borderbill

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2019, 05:28:22 PM »
I buy a bunch of their broth (Beef, chicken, veg) in 32 oz. boxes-non refrig.  Makes great soup; cook pasta or vegs with it.  Also use it for dogs and cats food.  Canned pie filling is a real buy.  Pet treats are good buys.  Check out their marbles-they say they're for decorating (seen 'em in flower vases)- I hear they make great slingshot ammo.  To repeat as others have said--DOLLAR TREE.  Oh, check out their first aid; paper goods; seasonal candy.  Price is a US buck for any item so it's easy to figger (but you gotta add tax).

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2019, 06:37:18 PM »
Lately I've been buying the dollar packs of chocolate striped cookies.  ;D Great cookies so I stock up.
We keep a lot of the shelf stable milk also. Use it for cooking.
And pickles
Relish
Baked beans