Author Topic: Basic Generator Set-Up for Apartment Living?  (Read 5481 times)

Offline Matt.T

• Prepper
Basic Generator Set-Up for Apartment Living?
« on: January 09, 2012, 11:07:48 AM »
Background: Up until 3 months ago I was living in MT, had no debt, had preps made for a 9-12 month period, as well as a bug-out cabin (stocked), and overall felt very good about where I was in life and with my preparations.

Fast-forward to the present: In short, the s**t hit my fan. I now live in a small suburban apartment near Denver and have about 1 month of food and water preps in my closet. (It's a long story with more than one lesson learned about the nature of humans.) Anyway...

I am in the process of regathering my essentials and thought that it'd be a good idea to go back into the TSP archives and return to the prepping basics. In one early episode, I found where Jack says that for a 1-3 month prep plan, he recommends (among other things): a small generator, two batteries, power inverter & charger. All of this should be found for less than $400.

I know very little about all of this, but assume that this set-up is meant for using low-draw items (cell phone, clock/radio, possibly a small heater or A/C, etc.)? If this is all that I'm looking for - in terms of suburban prepping - what exactly should I be looking for? What type of generator? Are there brands, models or specific generators I need to look at? I assume that these are car batteries he's talking about? Any good advice on the power inverter and charger? Aren't these usually a combined unit?

I would really appreciate any help people can provide!!
Living is simple; life is complicated.

Offline Pathfinder

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Basic Generator Set-Up for Apartment Living?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 11:38:02 AM »
Sorry for the lifestyle change, my friend, but that happens in life sometimes. I know the feeling.

Your budget might be a little low for this. Most of the small genny sets I found on Amazon for instance cost almost as much as your entire budget.

But I think you are on the right track. The small devices would work best off a small (e.g. 2kw) genny.

For a genny, you would need an outdoor space to run it, such as a patio if you're on the 1st floor, or balcony if not. If you have a balcony, you could get a larger genny, say 4kw for about $300 on sale and just leave it there, covered, so you can test run it monthly.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these to others, and I require the same from them.

J.B. Books

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 11:42:04 AM »
Need more info please. This apartment you live at is is ground level or up stairs? Might make a difference to the apartment owner and local laws.

Honda makes the quietest gen sets ever but the are spendy.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

"Survival is a form of rebellion, living is the punishment" Mr. Smith from the movie "The Way Back"

"Those who would give up freedom for a little security deserve neither" Ben Franklin

Ride hard as you can, rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thouroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "man what a ride!" Author unknown

Online endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 04:43:34 PM »
Personally, I'd lean more toward making sure you can keep your place warm and you can cook and lower the priority on electricity in your situation.  If you have a balcony and can have a BBQ grill, consider getting a propane Mr. Heater that you can run off your propane tank.  Consider a propane or butane single burner stove, too. 

You could also use an inverter and battery back up for a microwave and such, but running a generator, even a very quiet unit on a balcony seems like it is going to draw unwanted attention.  You're better off putting a spare deep cycle battery in the trunk of your car with a charging circuit and using your car to charge a different battery during the day when you're out and about (or just idling in the parking lot).  Sure, you've gotta lug a 50# battery to your apartment, but it will draw less attention than a generator running on your balcony.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline boboroshi

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 06:09:02 PM »
Agree with endurance on overall approach to this. Generator wise, you're going to want to look at something quieter, and therefore more expensive. You might be able to find a HOnda 2000i used for less, but it's probably one of the better quiet generators.

Again, I think endurance is right on thinking outside the box on this as to "how can I get x, without a generator"

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sign up for TSP Forum Newsletter with updates and interesting forum threads: http://eepurl.com/iipvo