Author Topic: Simuntions?  (Read 1817 times)

Offline sboyle1

• Prepper
  • Emergency Management Analyst
    • Visit me on Linkedin!
Simuntions?
« on: January 12, 2012, 09:57:49 AM »
Just looking into a general survey to see if anyone else has had formal simunitions training, heard about it, or has looked into it. It is a tool we have used extensively in law enforcement for force on force training allowing us to easily convert our actual weapons to fire a non lethal powered projectile that simulates magazine sizes, recoil, and other aspects of tactical use of firearms against a living target without the risk of serious injury or death if used properly.

For anyone not familiar with the concept their website sells conversion kits and rounds to use in wargames exercises or other training purposes. If you or your gun club, etc can afford the cost its a fantastic training tool and a hell of a lot of fun you can find their website at:

http://simunition.com/en/home
The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his States and all their clans are preserved.
Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)

Offline bdhutier

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Defensor libertas
Re: Simuntions?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 10:33:24 AM »
I've never used Simunitions, but I have used ATI (same concept).  I'd definitely say that using those kinds of munitions steps up your training game quite a bit.  For me, it's similar in feel to paintball in that you know it's not lethal so you're free to test tactics and such, but by using your duty/EDC weapons things just feel more real.  The training feel with UTI/Simunition rounds was the closest I've come to the real world un-holstered building and area sweeps adrenaline and stressors, but in a lead-free training environment. 
Tolerance is the virtue of the man with no convictions.
-- G. K. Chesterton

So go do some PT, then by all means take some ninja classes.
-- Chemsoldier

Offline sboyle1

• Prepper
  • Emergency Management Analyst
    • Visit me on Linkedin!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 10:39:04 AM »
Exactly Bd, if your going to it IMO do it right, as you train is how you fight the more realistic and comprehensive your training is the more likely again IMO it will hold up to an actual combat situation.
The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his States and all their clans are preserved.
Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)

Offline cranston

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 12:12:02 PM »
We've used simunitions for LEO training, but for the cost of one CAR-15 simmgun I can equip a five man entry team, with reasonably priced, decent quality rifles and handguns.  Also with the lower velocity of the airsoft rounds, you can train in just about any location and not worry about dinging drywall or breaking most glass. 

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 12:22:23 PM »
We use air soft. Much cheaper especially when you have 1800 leo's to train annually.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 04:17:13 PM »
I went to an open house at a local (high end) training facility and they actually let us try out simunitions by letting us clear a force on force shoot house. It was awesome . They actually let my wife give it a try and she had never even shot a pistol before. Her intruders were one with a flashlight only and one with a knife. The location also does airsoft so that people can come out and train without dumping a ton of cash.
Money permits you to obtain for your goods and your labor that which they are worth to the men who buy them, but no more.

Offline Left4Dead

• Prepper
  • More Patients then a Hospital.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 01:57:56 AM »
i have taken a few Sim classes and have enjoyed it very much. but for round per round cost. nothing beats airsoft. i learn the biggest thing you gain from a sim class is the "when" to pull a gun.

Offline Urban Knight

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 07:34:37 AM »
Here in the Philippines you can't find simunitions but at the facility where I work some green berets trained Phil ippine Army Spec forces using simuntions. We go for airsoft. private purchases.  Cheaper and realistic as well. 

Offline Evil kilt

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 01:37:18 PM »
Airsoft is available in most places around the world but the real question is the level of training  on offer its one thing to to know how to do a section attack or to clear a house but if the training isnt up to much you wont get very far
and to be under real fire is a lot different than being in a training area 

Offline Coctailer

• Senior Survivalist
  • Run with scissors!!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 01:49:27 PM »
I went to an open house at a local (high end) training facility and they actually let us try out simunitions by letting us clear a force on force shoot house. It was awesome . They actually let my wife give it a try and she had never even shot a pistol before. Her intruders were one with a flashlight only and one with a knife. The location also does airsoft so that people can come out and train without dumping a ton of cash.
I'm I'm MI also.
Where is this place?

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 07:41:25 PM »
I recall seeing a similar product @ 10 years ago, air powered. In essence, the training cartridge was the world's smallest airgun - the case contained a small air reservoir and the valve was controlled by a release button in the "primer pocket". The gun's firing pin tripped the release. The bullet was a plastic cup.

It was a neat idea, but the cost was astronomical. "Cartridges" were $30 to $40 each [they were precision machined mini-airguns, remember] and the associated compressor was at least a couple of hundred more. So 12 rounds of .38 would cost $450 or so, two magazines for an M-9 or Glock PLUS the barrel/slide conversion kit would cost "Oh, HELL NO!!!" (<--- Typical Chief's response)

AirSoft is far more reasonable for force on force training, IMHO, and if you want to go a step up, there are always quality pellet gun replicas to use for initial or periodic marksmanship training. And casual plinking sessions.

I am a great believer in being familiar with your service pistol. I am also a great believer in the KISS principal, both from an operational and management perspective. Just as fisherman's lures are designed to catch fishermen, I see these expensive gizmos as intended to catch the uninitiated.

soupbone
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

----- Albert Einstein