Author Topic: Coax fed Fan dipole  (Read 1179 times)

Offline vulture774

• Prepper
Coax fed Fan dipole
« on: January 13, 2012, 09:25:38 PM »
This is My article on hamuniverse:http://www.hamuniverse.com/kb3pkbfandipole.html

I made this and have used it to make loads of contacts!!

Hope you guy's like it!

73  73
KB3PKB

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Re: Coax fed Fan dipole
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 11:44:42 AM »
Good write up, I had someone tell me about a dual dipole of 20/40m  East West was 20 and North South was 40.  As you stated, it will "auto tune" itself to the proper legs.

The di-poles.
If the two legs of your di-pole are not EXACTLY the same length, you will drive yourself crazy trying to tune it. Let me say that again: If the two legs of your di-pole are not EXACTLY the same length, you will drive yourself crazy trying to tune it.

Here is a good method to ensure that this does not happen to you.

First, cut the dipole for the "Total Length" in the chart above.

A few of my short dipoles I have used speaker wire.  While not ideal, it works very well.  This is another way to ensure that the legs are of equal length.  Cutting 20' of speaker wire will give you two legs of 20' after you split the pair.
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline WWalker

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Coax fed Fan dipole
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 03:34:04 PM »
Just the second paragraph was worth the price of admission for me.

Seems like I have always known that Voltage always take the path of least resistance.

I did not understand why fan dipoles worked until now though.

Maybe I am just slower than the average person but I never thought of RF as just Voltage.  I don't think I have read anything (until it just now it clicked and I looked up the definition of RF) that ever clearly stated that RF (radio frequency) is simply AC voltage AT a radio frequency.

I've been a mechanic for most all my life it is all I have ever done for a living other than a year of concrete work, and of course lawn mowing as my first paying job. 
Electronics has always been the most challenging part of the job for me. 
I got into Ham radio a little over three years ago determined to learn more about electronics through the hobby.  I have found very little written info that explains a lot of the very basic information I require to understand whats going on.  Most info seems to be written for people with an electronics back ground of some kind or years and years of experience and learning already under their belt.
I just need to be able to see how it works or be hit over the head with the obvious before I "get" it.

Thanks.