Author Topic: Olympic National Forest  (Read 2935 times)

Offline CombatPeds

• Prepper
    • My Page
Olympic National Forest
« on: January 17, 2012, 09:35:17 PM »
Hello!  My family and I are looking to explore some of the Olympic National Forest this spring/summer. We'd like to work on some primitive skills and enjoy the wilderness.  Does anyone have any experience camping there or suggestions?   Thanks!

Ben

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
Re: Olympic National Forest
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 05:02:27 AM »
I visited once a long time ago and thought it was amazing country. Though I can't help you much, we have a number of TSP forum members in that area that I am sure would give you some tips.

If you don't get any replies here, you might try posting this in the Regional Boards: Region Eight.

Offline NWBowhunter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Got Elk!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 06:28:04 AM »
Olympics are beautiful area, If you want primitive you can go in from the Forks side up the Soleduc, Bogachiel,  or the Hoh. It's all rain forrest so be prepared to get wet.  The Olympics are a young mountain chain so everything is steep.   

Most of the trail heads that go into park start in the North and Eastside they are very popular.

Hiking into the Buckhorn wilderness in the NE corner is probably the dryer part of the park. Still can get a lot of rain.

Offline whatmecrazy

• Prepper
  • Call me Keith, Ray, or Crazy Ray.. doesn't matter.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 10:02:37 AM »
Ahh the olympics, drive out by Forks, and get a detailed Topo Map of the area because it will show the US Forest service roads.  But don't take the A-road because it doesn't connect through, there was a landslide through there that took out the entire road.  There is a parallel US forest road to the A-road, if I can find the naems of the roads I will post them.  But there is a small deer camp out there that is an excellent place to us as a base camp for venturing out into the thick brush that is Native to the Olympics.  The repairs might have been done to the road I mentioned earlier, but I don't think so.  When we drove up the water had taken out a 20' diameter culvert and part of the mountainside with it, we almost drove into the hole and fell about 75 feet. 

One thing to note about the forest roads in the Olympics, is that they are not for the faint of heart.  While we were up there we saw some of the coolest things you could see.  For example, we saw more Grouse than you could count, we saw 40 mph winds hit a cliff face and blow straight up toward the sky taking the morning fog along with it.  I will tell you that you NEED raingear, it isn't an option up there. Also if you have a tent make darn sure that it is extremely water resistant.  During our 96 hour trip we got over 10" of solid rain, there is a lot of clear cut and a lot of thick brush and the place is a must-see!!

Offline whatmecrazy

• Prepper
  • Call me Keith, Ray, or Crazy Ray.. doesn't matter.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 02:40:17 PM »
Also one thing to mention is the DEFINITE need for a 4x4, if you need any more information PM me..

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 07:15:33 PM »
It's also Bigfoot Country, as some may call BS...I grew up in the area and I spent my childhood camping & hiking in the area and have had nothing less than numerous encounters all at night. Not trying to scare anyone :o... It's a beautiful area, if you don't have any rain gear don't even think about it, like said before it can be the nicest day, sunny and then BAM...Rain all night...our growing up was known as BLUE Tarp Camping...i'm sure others from the area know exactly what I mean.

As far as where to go, try www.trailsnw.com/ or areas along the Pacific NW Trail are great. I can also recommend to get a few books if you want something in hand. Be sure to check online or at Ranger station before heading out, trails wash out frequently there...so some might be closed. I have also found difficultly ratings to not be consistent from some websites and whats in a book.

Also recommend good high lace boots, I prefer the Danner Acadia or Ft.Lewis, keeps from twisting ankles when you slip and slide down that trail that washed out that your trying to get around....Have fun and post some pics or maybe a hiking trip on the Region 8 Boards...would love to meet up sometime this summer with some other members on a hike.