Author Topic: PMS [merged topics]  (Read 11532 times)

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
PMS [merged topics]
« on: December 23, 2010, 08:20:55 PM »
Just a word to the warning for you guys. I tried to make the title as bold as I could to steer you away if you wanted.  ;D

We have a couple of topics on the monthly bleeding portion of our cycles, but no one has mentioned PMS specifically. Before I had my son I used to have bad pms and cramping from he-ll. Even my back and legs hurt. After I had him, I went on the depo shot. No cramps or cycles with it. I stopped getting the shot about a year and a half ago and the pms is back and in full swing.

I recently read that a deficiency in certain vitamins could cause pms to be worse. Iron and magnesium being two of them. In my quest to find a solution to stop pms that did not include "chemical" solutions, I started taking a prenatal vitamin. Not for being preggers, but for the vitamins that are in it. I started taking it several weeks ago. I noticed that this month, I did not seem to suffer as much. I didn't have the mood swings as bad as the past few months, and the cramping was not as severe.

What kind of "solutions" do you ladies have for your pms symptoms? Or do you have pms symptoms or are they mild and don't bother you? What ways can we stop or control pms if the time comes that we don't have vitamins or "chemical" solutions? Any ideas?

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Re: PMS
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 08:46:52 PM »
Warning: guy present.  Info derived from my wife (so that's okay then?) 8)

Motherwort (Leonurus cardiaca) was helpful.  She says it smooths down the stressed emotional states that go with PMS (or with menopause, nowadays for her).  She also says it interferes with sleep and causes strange dreams, so not recommended for right before bedtime.  She would generally use it only two days a month.

This really falls in the category of "chemical solutions", except that the chemicals are made by a green plant instead of a pharmaceutical plant.  We've never found much really good scientific research on this herb, so use sparingly and with caution.  It's easy to grow, if you want to grow your own.  Otherwise you'll need a rather well-stocked health-food store, or an online source.  (TSP sponsor Western Botanicals carries Motherwort in several forms.)

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 08:54:05 PM »
If she only used it for two days a month, is that because that is all she needed or all the longer her pms lasted? I start noticing my pms symptoms as much as 10-12 days before my period actually starts. Sorry if that's TMI!!!! And if I grew my own plants, would I drink it as a tea or something along those lines? Or would it be easier to find capsules and just store them up?

And by "chemical", I meant along the lines of midol and the likes.

And I find it amusing that the first response is from a guy, lol! But since it came from your wife, it most certainly is okay.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 09:49:16 PM »
If she only used it for two days a month, is that because that is all she needed or all the longer her pms lasted?

She had PMS symptoms that built up slowly over the cycle, so I think it was generally just the last couple of days where she would finally say "&^*$% this %$&^, I need some *#$&^ Motherwort, *$&^ it!"  Or words to that effect. ;)

The other possibility is that Motherwort triggers the start of the period.  We didn't have enough data to tell whether this was true.

And if I grew my own plants, would I drink it as a tea or something along those lines? Or would it be easier to find capsules and just store them up?

We used to make a tincture (alcohol extract) from the fresh herb.  That was pretty simple to do.  Commercially, you can buy tinctures, or powdered whole herb.  I'm not sure how you'd go about powdering this herb at home -- it gets prickly and a bit woody when mature.

I don't know whether a tea would work -- depends on whether the active ingredients are soluble in hot water.

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 10:05:55 PM »
She had PMS symptoms that built up slowly over the cycle, so I think it was generally just the last couple of days where she would finally say "&^*$% this %$&^, I need some *#$&^ Motherwort, *$&^ it!"  Or words to that effect. ;)

Haha, this is pretty much how I feel the whole time.

The other possibility is that Motherwort triggers the start of the period.  We didn't have enough data to tell whether this was true.
If that is what it does, then there are actually several herbs that can be used for that. Massive doses of vitamin C and black cohosh can also do this. Unfortunately, my symptoms don't go away with the onset of my period, they continue for at least the first two or three days.

We used to make a tincture (alcohol extract) from the fresh herb.  That was pretty simple to do.  Commercially, you can buy tinctures, or powdered whole herb.  I'm not sure how you'd go about powdering this herb at home -- it gets prickly and a bit woody when mature.

I don't know whether a tea would work -- depends on whether the active ingredients are soluble in hot water.
Thanks for that info. Tinctures I can do. If you said tea, I was going to ask how awful it tasted.

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 04:25:48 AM »
For moodiness, my monthly strategy is to be alone, with engrossing entertainment (a good book or a movie) until I can behave like a normal person again. It helps to have people around you who know to let you be when you need it.

I also find it helps to just let myself cry, knowing that it's only because of PMs that I'm emotional. Crying releases endorphins, which make you feel better. So I assure myself that it isn't being wimpy, it's just self medicating. :D

A B12 deficiency can cause irritability. It's a pretty simple one to try and quite obvious if it works.

Offline CBP

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 04:54:41 AM »
Honestly, I never found anything that qwelled it until I went back on BCPs--and I don't need those for that purpose.  I had the aches, pains, hot flashes, nasty disposition and bleeding for weeks on end.  The misery just wasn't worth stuggling through.  On the upside, I've pretty much ironed things out for menopause.   ;D

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 06:19:47 AM »
Progesterone.

We're all swimming in a sea of xenoestrogens, things that mimic estrogen in our bodies, and most women suffer from too MUCH estrogen . . . yes, even the pre- and peri-menopausal women who are being prescribed estrogen by their doctors because the drug companies want us all to think we need extra estrogen. What makes those patients feel better is not the estrogen, but the progestin that is given along with the estrogen. My PMS symptoms got really bad when I was estrogen-dominant, and disappeared almost completely when my doctor put me on bio-identical progesterone (progestin is the synthetic version of progesterone). The funny thing is that I don't have a lot of natural estrogen anymore, but I have NO natural progesterone, and it was that imbalance--not the lack of estrogen per se, but the imbalance between the two--that caused all my symptoms. The days I feel the very best out of my cycle are the three or four days right after my period stops, which is when both hormone levels are at their lowest and are in balance with each other.

I needed the prescription form of progesterone for a while, but initially I did find relief from some over-the-counter progesterone creams. This one was my favorite:

http://www.healthandsunshine.com/endau.htm

Even my 18 yo daughter uses the progesterone cream for her PMS symptoms.

Not a doctor, but this is what has worked for me. And it goes against the conventional wisdom spouted by the drug companies, which should tell you something.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 08:19:17 AM »
For moodiness, my monthly strategy is to be alone, with engrossing entertainment (a good book or a movie) until I can behave like a normal person again. It helps to have people around you who know to let you be when you need it.

the ancient way of isolating menstruating women to a menstruation hut has often been ridiculed as sexist "bleeding women are witches" or whatnot.  I have often hypothesized that instead of that interpretation, it would be really nice to get away from it all for a week and relax and not have to worry about offending anyone with my hormonal ravings  ;)

I used to get pretty bad cramps, not extreme, I know plenty of women with worse than mine, and plenty with less than mine.  They would last about a day and it was a day of not moving, even the 800mg of IBP could not do anything more than knock me out until they were gone.  Then I had children.  and so far my periods have been shorter, lighter and pain-free.  We will see if that continues once I am done nursing completely, but I have had almost a year without being pregnant or nursing since I started this journey almost 10 years ago (between #2 & #3) and it was short and light then.

ps - Hi, DEV  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 09:43:09 AM by Morning Sunshine »

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 09:39:20 AM »
As a young woman (in my 20's), I had very severe cramps (debilitating) quite often. They were bad enough that I was afraid to drive for fear that I might pass out. The only OTC med that seemed to help was pamprin. As I grew older, and especially after I had children, the cramps went away almost completely. I don't know that this is any help at all for you who are still suffering... other than to offer hope. I have no suggestions on herbal remedies, since I didn't try them at the time... I wish you luck and hope that you find something that works for you.

amanadoo

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 09:48:22 AM »
Caffeine and a hot pad help me tremendously for cramps. [Side note: I have really been talking about heating pads a ton on this forum lately. It's so weird. But I digress.] And Catnip tea to help me clear my head a bit. It also has a soothing effect that helps me get to sleep. I've been a big fan of Dr Bach's homeopathic "rescue remedy" for other things lately (anxiety) and just ordered some more stuff from them to see if it will be helpful in other areas. Here's a link to their flower essences :

http://www.bachcentre.com/centre/remedies.htm

It looks like there are a few in there that would apply, depending on what your individual pms symptoms are.

The other thing, is raw milk. It isn't available, legally, in every state (ulgh)....but I find myself craving it LIKE CRAZY four-five days before my period and will drink a ton of it. Normally, I just have a swig of it in my morning coffee. Obviously, "my ladies" are never given hormone enhancements, nor were their mothers mothers mothers....So I'm thinking that the milk cravings are to replace nutrients that menstruation sucks out of the body, but it totally helps relieve some of my pms symptoms too. I don't have any theories about why that might be, but I just wanted to throw it out there :)

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 10:07:47 AM »
The other thing, is raw milk. It isn't available, legally, in every state (ulgh)....but I find myself craving it LIKE CRAZY four-five days before my period and will drink a ton of it. Normally, I just have a swig of it in my morning coffee. Obviously, "my ladies" are never given hormone enhancements, nor were their mothers mothers mothers....So I'm thinking that the milk cravings are to replace nutrients that menstruation sucks out of the body, but it totally helps relieve some of my pms symptoms too. I don't have any theories about why that might be, but I just wanted to throw it out there :)

Amanadoo, there was research done at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst that was done that found that milk did help relieve pms symptoms. I don't know the name of the study, but it was conducted by Elizabeth Bertone-Johnson. It found evidence that milk did help relieve symptoms or that milk drinkers were less likely to get symptoms. Of course the milk they were using was not raw milk, but both will have calcium which was what the study said helped, along with vitamin d.

amanadoo

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 10:10:30 AM »
Well, just one more bullet in my arsenal to convince The Huz that we need a cow and the sooner, the better :D

"I'll be nicer to you when I menstruate."  haha

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 10:17:43 AM »
I am one who gets debilitating cramps. By "debilitating" I mean that for a few hours I'm completely bedridden (or floor-ridden), require someone to "nurse" me, and muffling my yelling as best I can so the neighbors don't get concerned. I can't take normal pain meds due to complex medical issues; I'm still working with my doctors on trying to find a pain relief solution. In the meantime, my strategy is the same it's been for years: focus on the fact that it's temporary, mentally hunker down and simply survive it. If nothing else I figure it's training me to keep my wits even in the worst of pain, and I'm informed by my mother (who bore 3 children without pain meds) that my experience is more painful than giving birth so I figure I should be all set for that too!

I have heard cramping tends to improve after childbirth. That does give me hope.

For natural cramp relief I've tried every single thing mentioned, both by doctors/naturopaths and other women. No help. In fact, the month I took the most valerian root/cramp bark was the moth I experienced the worst pain ever. The muscles were completely relaxed, but it was a full hour of non-stop screaming literally at the top of my lungs from the intense pain. I said never again.

I've looked into Maya abdominal massage as a potential help. It focuses on properly positioning your uterus. You have a few sessions with a practitioner who then teaches you to do the massage on yourself so it isn't an ongoing cost and dependence.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 10:29:25 AM »
In the 'old days' we were given a teaspoon of Paregoric mixed in a glass of water. Taste was absolutely yucky but it did get rid of cramps.

Doctors prescribed it for cramps, diarrhea, rub a little on the gums of a teething infant, a drop or two in a baby bottle of water for babies with colic, etc.

Back then you could go into any pharmacy and buy a very small bottle for under .50, sign your name, no Rx needed. Those days are gone, it must be an Rx now, since people starting boiling it down for the opium.

As others have posted, after my 1st child -- no more cramps. Grandmothers had told me that was the case with them, too -- didn't believe them til it happened.

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 11:29:43 AM »
I used (and give to my daughter) Evening Primrose Oil capsules. Follow the directions and take at the first sign of PMS, if your really on the ball you'll know a day or so in advance, and continue taking it until you have no more symptoms (usually a day or so before your period ends).  It's common in most pharmacies, and is very reasonably priced for the good job it does.

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 11:43:37 AM »
HP, I am glad that you posted that. I have read in my herbal book that Evening Primrose works for pms, but did not know anyone who had actually used it. I will have to give that a try too, along with the motherwort.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 05:23:06 PM »
Evening Primrose is really good, even for menopause symptoms. I have to confess though I was so upset when you couldn't get paragoric OTC with a signature anymore. The taste always reminded me of bananas with tons of pepper on them (ICK) but it worked for all kinds of things. I never got cramps all that bad but PMS was a problem and even years after a complete hysterectomy it still is sometimes. When I'm a total Biatch for no particular reason I go get the evening primrose oil and start taking it.

Offline krickie

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Natural Treatments for PMS symptoms
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 06:49:02 AM »
I am looking for suggestions on natural and gentle treatments for emotional premenstrual symptoms.
The premenstrual depression and anxiety has been steadily worsening these past 6 months or so and is getting pretty severe and a little scary.   
I am almost to the point of going to see my medical doctor but I'd really like that to be a last resort.   

Thanks in advance. 

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Natural Treatments for PMS symptoms
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 08:21:49 AM »
I would see my doctor just to make sure there isn't physical causing the emotional issues.  My physical PMS symptoms have been worsening lately.  I went in and had everything checked out.  Everything checked out fine but there are a number of physical issues that can cause PMS that need to be addressed if they are present.  I see it as another way of prepping.  Get the expert help I need now since it may not be available if I postpone it.

Once you get the OK that there's nothing wrong physically, then I would check out books by Rosemary Gladstar, Aviva Romm, and Susan Weed.  I have books by each and refer to them frequently.

Offline krickie

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Natural Treatments for PMS symptoms
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 08:43:02 AM »
I see it as another way of prepping.  Get the expert help I need now since it may not be available if I postpone it.

That's a good point, thanks.
I just inwardly groan at the thought of the doctor -- I so dislike their knee jerk reaction to just throw pills at everything.

Thanks for the book recommendations too :)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
Re: PMS [merged topics]
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 09:09:12 AM »
Hi, krickie!  I merged your PMS thread with an earlier discussion on the same topic.  See posts above for several natural (and unnatural ;) ) things that might help.

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 01:11:46 AM »
Yes, I do have to say that I have horrible cramp, during that time of the month. My husband has even told me I was a bitch but at the same time I don't think he realizes how horrible they can be. The best thing I have found to help me  (not using medication) is to make a hot cup of peppermint tea (it contains peppermint, fengreek, and chamomile) use a natural sugar, i use honey and relax on a couch or bed with a heating pad. At this point my husband is no where to be found, but ever once in a while in the distance you can hear him say "honey you okay, need anything?" If you don't have a heating pad, they are easy to make. A water bottle with hot water works good or another version is taking a sock and adding white rice, tie or seal it off. Then throw into a microwave until the warmness of your liking. You can reuse this over and over again.

-Tracy

Offline nature_sprite

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 04:37:06 AM »
those that have anger/rages etc during pms.... make sure to take b-12 and folic acid supplements. for the rages may be an explanation of being dangerously low on b-12 and/or folic acid. if you eat alot of raw greens you may be safe on folic acid, but it's challenging to be on a safe level of b-12 regardless how you eat.... and in fact there are far more cases of meat eaters that are b-12 deficiant than vegans! much by far. and there's many theories on this why vegans are healthier. but is besides my main point.

i consider periods a blessing for women. it isn't a joy to experience, but with periods women are lucky because their bodies announce problems going on much greater than a males can.... well, in this type of situation! because while women menstate... symptoms may only show up before and during and not other era of the month!

Offline winniekate

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 11:02:18 AM »
Might want to take a look here  http://www.earthclinic.com/.  PMS is in Ailments section; in addition, a (highlighted) search will bring you some more results that were posted under a different ailment. My fave site for doctorin'
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:14:03 AM by winniekate »

Offline Arie

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 11:27:08 AM »
... I've been a big fan of Dr Bach's homeopathic "rescue remedy" for other things lately (anxiety) and just ordered some more stuff from them to see if it will be helpful in other areas....

This is gonna sound whacko, but I use "Rescue Remedy" too, and take 2 doses of benadryl.  The rescue remedy is great, (and I use it for my cat too, before she goes to the vet.  Hysterical pun not intended.)  The benadryl was a suggestion from my Doc - I don't remember her reasoning, but it seems to work.

And if those two combined don't work... I add a bottle of merlot.  That usually helps  ;D

Offline HarpGarden

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 02:22:44 PM »

My PMS symptoms got really bad when I was estrogen-dominant, and disappeared almost completely when my doctor put me on bio-identical progesterone (progestin is the synthetic version of progesterone). The funny thing is that I don't have a lot of natural estrogen anymore, but I have NO natural progesterone, and it was that imbalance--not the lack of estrogen per se, but the imbalance between the two--that caused all my symptoms.

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm new to the forum and just came across it while searching for something else.  I've had some experience with this and thought I'd add my 2 cents. 

It's possible for the balance to be off in the opposite direction, too.  In my case, the progesterone was in the normal range for a woman my age (mid 30s) but the estrogen was quite low, almost menopausal.  Lots of lousy symptoms as a result!  I don't like pharmaceutical stuff, but I never found a natural remedy that helped, so I finally went to a doc and got on a bioidentical estrogen patch.  It is helping me a great deal.

The E/P ratio is key.  It's a good idea to be tested before trying anything, so you know where you stand. 

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 05:10:46 PM »
Welcome HarpGarden.  This post may be old but not as old as PMS ;)  Good info.

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2012, 05:50:00 AM »
It's possible for the balance to be off in the opposite direction, too.

Yes, absolutely. Glad that you got it figured out.

Interestingly, since I have up eating wheat a year ago, all of my PMS symptoms have virtually vanished. It makes me wonder how much eating the abominated modern version of wheat contributed to my hormone imbalances.

Offline HarpGarden

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2012, 04:58:21 PM »
Interestingly, since I have up eating wheat a year ago, all of my PMS symptoms have virtually vanished.

WOW ... that is fabulous!  I've heard of wheat aggravating endometriosis, too.  I'm sure a lot of that stuff is interrelated.