Author Topic: Where to get women's clothes for ccw?  (Read 18854 times)

amanadoo

Where to get women's clothes for ccw?
« on: January 21, 2012, 09:36:59 AM »
Ladies, I need some suggestions! I have a long torso as it is, and I'm quite tall. It's always been just barely doable for me to get shirts that are long enough for my liking.

But I will be joining the ranks of concealed carry firearms soon, and at least 90% of my (meager) wardrobe is unusable for that.

First of all, I'm going to need SOLID jeans, that I can have my holster in/on, without having to hike them up 8000 times a day. Women's jeans are disappointing in quality, at best. A whole 'nother animal from men's jeans. Also, how about a solid belt that isn't like a law enforcement belt, but is also more than JUST decorative?

But the bigger issue is definitely shirts. They just are not long enough. I've been looking for a while and have picked up a few longer cardigan/shawl type things at the thrift when I see them, but I *will* need shirts that I don't have to cover up.

I really don't want to have to resort to wearing men's shirts, even t shirts. They are so boxy and wide across the shoulders. And men's button ups and I don't get along, because they'll be big on top, but I won't be able to fasten the bottom buttons because of my typically female hips. So that looks stupid on me anyway.

I don't work, so I don't need professional clothing. Just regular ol' jeans and shirts. T shirts, button ups, whatever. One thing I am looking at now, are maybe some tunic style cuts of shirts. But I haven't tried any on. And when it's warm and dry outside, I'm optimistic about the possibility of wearing long, flowy skirts with a thigh holster. But again, that's just a plan of something to try out when I'm able.

So where do you ladies get clothes for ccw? I know part of my problem is just my somewhat odd body shape and a lot of women can just keep wearing their regular clothes when they carry, but I need new things.

Online Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Where to get women's clothes for ccw?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 10:35:02 AM »
ok, I have some ideas.  I do not carry (although that is in the plans.  I think I will do an ankle holster, actually, since I always wear long pants.  just me, but I like my legs covered), but I like jeans that come up OVER my hips.  I used to buy Eddie Bauer loose fit jeans, but they changed something, and they no longer fit right.  I have moved to LLBean.  they are expensive, but they fit right.  and if you wait for the right sale, sometimes I can stock up for half price.  http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/503224/0/Relevance/1?nav=ln-622

as for longer feminine shirts.  LDS women (mormons) are very big on not showing skin or underwear, so there are a lot of local industries in utah for longer shirts.  I found this link that has a lot of other links.  I did some preliminary clicking, but it got overwhelming.  http://www.modestclothes.com/LDS/lds-clothing.html

these might help.

edit: as I was searching, I found a lot of other religiously motivated (jewish, evangelical christian, catholic, etc) modest sites with longer shirts that would prob work for you.  anyway, that is a good place to start if you are looking for tops that don't show your belly ring or cute hip tattoo...  :P
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 01:08:36 PM by Morning Sunshine »

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 01:59:02 PM »
I am seriously hard on clothes, especially jeans. Women's jeans will last me a week. Two that I wear which I get are men's. I get Wranger's and I get Levi 505's. Both come up higher and both fit my hips. The Wrangler's I can get on sale for $14. They wear well and I can fence, hay, go out on the town or whatever and they still hold up under my abuse.

Cedar

Offline KellyAnn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 02:54:28 PM »
as for longer feminine shirts.  LDS women (mormons) are very big on not showing skin or underwear, so there are a lot of local industries in utah for longer shirts.

When did showing your underpants ever become fashionable?
If someone can see my panties....I consider that a MAJOR embarrassment!
To my mind, that's not being "modest", it's just dressing to go out in public lol.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 03:07:14 PM »
If you always carry a purse consider a conceal carry purse.

You could try a conceal carry fanny pack if you don't care about fashion.

There are conceal carry backpacks and Maxpedition makes some murses (but are a bit more tactical looking).

There is also 'thunderwear' I think it is called.

Choice of carry gun also changes your choices. Very different to carry a 1911 or a Kahr PM9. your options change based on size.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 03:09:54 PM »
For my little LCP, I wear an undershirt, then clip the holster between my pants and undershirt. Any style shirt that reaches a little past the top of your pants will cover it. If I am wearing a shirt that is too tight for that, I wear an ankle holster. If I am wearing shorts (rare), I wear my husband on my arm and let him worry about concealing the firearms.

amanadoo

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 03:37:39 PM »
I didn't even think about all the great new 'modest wear' online stores.Absolutely great idea. A normal "long" is more like "just barely" for me. And you know what it's like with kids, moving around, bending up and down, lifting arms and all that, I really need clothes that just work for what I need.

I have a great big ol' maxpedition bag on me all the time:) Love it. Still want on-person carry most of the time.

Thanks for the pants suggestions. Keep 'em coming please.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 11:36:05 AM »
Long before there was a ccw, I carried in my [cowboy] boot - everywhere.  And though it was "prohibited" I even carried on campus as I was often at the university library until the wee hours of the morning.  There was no way I was walking from the parking lot across campus to the library (a good 1/2 mile) and back in the dark without it. 

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 01:55:31 PM »
Might try this website if looking for casual or outdoor work clothes. They have "longtail" shirts and very sturdy jeans:

http://women.duluthtrading.com/store/womens-home.aspx

I've been please with the quality of their clothes. Keep an eye out for sales or (buy x# get a discount...)

For CCW on the waist/in the waistband you will need a sturdy belt. Look at the Filson.
http://www.filson.com/products/women-s-bridle-leather-belt.63001.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=womens/accessories&fmetaProduct=1011

Offline Prepper7

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 03:18:50 PM »
Congratulations on your CCW and joining the ranks of the really prepared.  :)

For shirts, you might try "tall" sizes Lands' End, Lane Bryant (larger sizes)

For high-quality jeans and trousers, try L.L.Bean and Lands' End. Be sure to shop their "sale" and "overstocks" sections for bargains.

You asked about clothing, but I hope you don't mind if I suggest a book (a friend recently purchased this title): The Cornered Cat: A Woman's Guide to Concealed Carry

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 07:35:08 PM »
I feel you pain.  Both my nieces are 5' 12" (ha, ha) with proportions to match.  I endorse Lands End and LL Bean clothing.  It really lasts, although it can be pretty pricey.

If cost is a consideration, have you considered adding extensions to your existing tops?  If they are non-knit, this is really easy; you'd need a serger for knits that ravel.  I'm sure you could find coordinating fabric at your local store or online.   

When I was a child, my grandmother made all my clothing.  Since she lived in another state, sometimes things were a little short.  (I, too, have a long torso although I'm of average height.  My mom and I just altered the design to lengthen the tops so they'd stay tucked in. 

Later, I learned how to design and make my own clothes.  My grandmother (who had been a professional seamstress for over 50 years) told me, "There are no mistakes; there are only custom designs."  I learned to customize my clothing very early on and haven't looked back since.

The extensions don't always have to be added to the hems, although this is the usual place.  A bit of creativity allows yokes to help with length, too.  Any simple women's shirt pattern with a yoke can be adapted to an existing shirt.  Use an ergonomic seam ripper, i.e. one with a large handle, to rip the sleeves, shoulders and collar seams, then lay your shirt onto the pattern to add the yoke (and possibly new collar) to the top of your existing shirt.  This looks pretty nice when it's done and you'll feel a great sense of accompishment, I think, for being so clever.

BTW, I shop consistently at the Salvation Army and Goodwill resale stores and find really good deals to alter to fit.  I have a very short stride length, so "hiphugger" jeans cover to my waist.  Just about every pair of paints I purchase must be altered so the waistband doesn't hit me midway to my armpits or hang midway to my knees.  No one has ever commented on the customization I've done to my clothing; rather, I generally get compliments on how "put together" I look at work.   If you don't know how to do these things for yourself, I hope you'll get some instruction.  Not only do you save money on your wardrobe, you'll be even better prepared for life's little catastrophes.

Good luck customizing your wardrobe to fit your new CCW lifestyle.

Offline soulcatcher

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 11:38:20 AM »
If I am wearing shorts (rare), I wear my husband on my arm and let him worry about concealing the firearms.

That's awesome! I use my hubby in a similar fashion if we are together.

As to the topic at hand, I too am tall (6'1+") and quite an odd size. I wear plus size clothing, mostly because I am broad-shouldered and -hipped, but I have a small waist. Unfortunately, manufacturers make assumptions about your body shape based on your size. That's a whole other rant which I will try to avoid, I swear. :)

I have found for t-shirts I prefer buying a much larger-sized men's shirt and cutting it down, including taking in the shoulder and waist area, while leaving plenty for my curvy hips. It's not that hard to do, and you can easily transfer those alterations to button-ups. Get some cheap "practice" shirts to try this on first. I ruined a beautiful t-shirt because I underestimated how long it needed to be. After that, I picked three shirts from the thrift store to practice with, and made one of those into my pattern.

I personally prefer a shoulder holster. If I'm in town, I can throw a jacket or one of the larger button-ups on over it. Out on my property, it's easier for me to get to my gun if I need to kill a wild thing, be it four- or two-legged.

Jen

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 02:47:41 PM »
JCPenny online has long shirts at reasonable prices. 

Lands End carries clothing for really tall women.  They even have maternity clothing for the 5' 12" lady.

LLBean is my go to for pants.  They hold up and they reach my feet.  (I have 33" long legs)
If you are going to carry inside the waist band you may want to get the waist 1" wider than you normally do.
If you are ever in the North East LL Bean has outlet stores.  I have 2 local to me and I save a bundle shopping at them.

Belts are hard.  Most 1 1/4" men's belts won't even go on most women's pants.  I have had some luck finding 1" wide belts at gun shows and on line.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 03:06:39 PM »
I just ordered the Flashbang holster that attaches to your bra.  Not sure how I'll like it, but it wasn't too expensive ($40) so I figure it was worth trying.  Then I don't have to worry about bags, pockets, belts or longer shirts. 

Offline snickers

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 05:10:48 PM »
I'm 5'11" and do most of my shopping for jeans, slacks, and button down tops online at Old Navy because they carry women's talls. They are cheap to begin with and frequently have sales and discounts. The quality isn't too great, but you get what you pay for.

I'll have to check out some of the suggestions that all you other gals have made.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 07:20:42 PM »
http://flashbangholster.com/

I think the right answer is to have about a half-dozen holsters.  This is one that most folks do not know about.

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 12:54:43 PM »
I just ordered the Flashbang holster that attaches to your bra.  Not sure how I'll like it, but it wasn't too expensive ($40) so I figure it was worth trying.  Then I don't have to worry about bags, pockets, belts or longer shirts.

Please let us know how that bra mounted holster works out for you and which model firearm you carry in it. I've seen those online but have hesitated in making a purchase. I'm on the well endowed side and it looked as though the holster would keep the underwire off the sternum and thus would keep my bra from doing its primary job.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 01:06:12 PM »
I often wear belly bands around my hips to wear a gun with a skirt. 

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 10:15:07 AM »
I'm reading this excellent book by well-known expert, Massad Ayoob.

http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Digest-Book-Concealed-Carry/dp/1440232679

This should almost be a requirement for folks who carry.  I've carried for years, but I still have this book very helpful.

Also, has anyone besides me noticed the trend?  Concealed carry licenses are up, considerably.  IMHO, there's a demand for clothes that are carry friendly for both casual and professional.  I think there's a business opportunity here.  I would love to see someone make clothing a bit more professional and practical, rather than tactical (like 5.11 Tactical).  The cool pants are cool on the weekends, but I can't always wear them, and besides, I want to blend in with the crowd, not stand out like a SWAT wannabe.

Perhaps someone could do custom alterations specifically for carry purposes?

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 08:09:57 PM »
My Flashbang holster (which was back ordered) arrived last week.  I've got to actually wear it a bit before I give you ladies a true update.  I can wear my S&W .38 special under most shirts fairly in noticeably...

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 11:46:05 AM »
Here's another product for both men and women.  Toters Jeans.  Massad Ayoob mentions these in his book, "Concealed Carry".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=weQlpoLDIvE#!

Side note:
Watch one of the models.  He has his finger on the trigger when he puts the gun in his pocket.  Don't do that.

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 09:04:02 PM »
ag2, with all due respect, I don't think any man can give women good adice about CCW holsters. Simply stated, they don't have the same body shapes and same experiences. I realize Ayoob is an "expert"; but, for women's CCW issues you'd be better off using Kathy Jackson from Cornered Cat as a reference.

http://www.corneredcat.com/Contents/

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 11:55:24 PM »
Bonnie,
I apologize for chiming in on this thread.  This will be my last post on this thread and I will humbly move along.  I get it.  It's a girls-only thread.  Some of us are just thick-headed, knuckle-dragging chimps.

I'm not trying to give advice, but rather share resources.  And you bring up a very good point about women having different body shapes and experiences.  Ironically, Ayoob actually spends time discussing this exact fact in his book....along with additional advantages and disadvantages that women experience.  He consulted women for this book.

I think he would agree with me when I state that his book is like a holster. Another resource (of many) that should be considered, but it's not all inclusive. And I would still read it even it Ayoob was a woman.   ;)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:03:53 AM by ag2 »

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 08:54:53 AM »
My Flashbang holster (which was back ordered) arrived last week.  I've got to actually wear it a bit before I give you ladies a true update.  I can wear my S&W .38 special under most shirts fairly in noticeably...

I'm curious if you've worn this enough yet to comment on the comfort level for all day carry. These flashbang holsters were featured at two different booths (one by the holster creator) at the recent Preparedness Expo. I had the opportunity to purchase but passed on it. I am just that skeptical of the construction quality and what adding this width between my brassier and body will actually do to the function of the undergarmet. Have you had to go to a larger circumference just like those who carry IWB will do with pants?

Looking forward to your evaluation & review.

@a2, No reason to apologize for posting. It is not a women's only. It is just that so many well meaning "gun guys" do not know what they do not know when it comes to women and firearms or CCW. While Ayoob may have consulted he has not actually experienced personally what works, does not work, and why. He cannot any more than a woman could comment on a man choosing Thunderwear as a CCW method for men and how comfortable or uncomfortable it might be for their specific anatomy.  :)

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 01:10:26 PM »
I'm curious if you've worn this enough yet to comment on the comfort level for all day carry. These flashbang holsters were featured at two different booths (one by the holster creator) at the recent Preparedness Expo. I had the opportunity to purchase but passed on it. I am just that skeptical of the construction quality and what adding this width between my brassier and body will actually do to the function of the undergarmet. Have you had to go to a larger circumference just like those who carry IWB will do with pants?

Looking forward to your evaluation & review.

I've actually only worn it a few times-I'm still working myself up to regularly carrying.  Since I've got younger school aged kiddos I wind up on the school grounds fairly frequently, which is not conducive to carrying.  I've just got to make myself do it until it's more "natural" for me.

As a note, I"m pretty short (5'2") wear a c cup bra and have rather more pudgy of a belly.  All of these things can be pertinent--since the holster is actually attached to the bra.

The way the holster seems to work best is when the barrel  and top portion of the gun are actually up under my bra-so that the only part really hanging below is the handgrip.  That's actually pretty comfortable and un-noticeable.  Depending on exactly how it's sitting is how easy it is to get the weapon out --I had the hammer catch on my bra a couple of times in certain positions.  Putting the weapon back in is a PITA. Then again if you've got to draw it for some reason getting it reholstered isn't really your biggest concern. 

This video of theirs shows the way it sits under the bra:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77TGGEYhPnM