Author Topic: Deer Hunting from the ground  (Read 4669 times)

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
Deer Hunting from the ground
« on: November 22, 2011, 10:27:41 AM »
Man I tell ya, those little buggers have great eye sight when it comes to movement!  I got busted last weekend... twice  :o My hiding behind a pine tree idea may not have been the best... anyway, do you guys have any tips on hunting from the ground (not from a blind)?  I know I need to hunt the wind and all the scent theories, but anything else that stands out?

Thanks guys,
CRCJ

Offline Ranger Dave

• Survivor
Re: Deer Hunting from the ground
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 01:28:51 PM »
You might try keep some more cover in front and behind you to break up your outline and mask any movement or set up further back in the trees. Hope it helps.
Ranger Dave

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 01:34:46 PM »
I hunt alone most of the time, and I like to find a place to watch and restrict movement.
A nice stand of hemlock is always good, or an old cutting. Don't keep turning your head like it's on a swivel either. The deer can see movement really well.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 01:48:17 PM »
Don't keep turning your head like it's on a swivel either. The deer can see movement really well.

But I'm just so excited to see deer!  :)  I guess I need to set up so that I can watch them come to me without being somewhere they can easily see my movement...

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 01:56:10 PM »
I wear an old wool green army blanket like a poncho- just cut a hole in the middle for your head. When you're sitting on the ground you look like a green shapeless lump and it hides small movements well. I don't sit where I am outlined against the sky, and I fall asleep a lot. There are usually deer around when I wake up.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 03:22:52 PM »
But I'm just so excited to see deer!  :)  I guess I need to set up so that I can watch them come to me without being somewhere they can easily see my movement...
LOL!! It's all in the eyes I tell ya'.  Just relax, and use your eyes and ears ;D

Offline MacReady

• Survivor
  • Dolly Sods, WV Oct '09
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 07:26:58 PM »
Learn their movement patterns.  Catch them going to and from feeding areas.  Sneak out a half hour or hour before daylight and set up where you think they will be feeding in the morning.  Be quiet as you do so, they are likely already there but its too dark to see them. 

Be patient when you are moving.  As you approach your spot as well as any other time you are moving, take a couple of steps then stop, look and listen.  If you're in a forested area with a lot of dry leaves on the ground you'll hear the deer (squirrels, etc) well before you see them.  Wait five or ten minutes if necessary to be sure there aren't any deer approaching, they are doing the same thing.  Again, be patient, the one who moves first will probably lose.

Find a spot with a good field of view and plant yourself.  Study your surroundings.  Find the horizontal lines,  they're not too common in the forest, usually fallen trees.  When you find one that wasn't there a few minutes ago it will be a deer torso.  You'll then think to yourself how the hell did he move so far across my field of vision without me spotting him.  Its because he's moving very slowly and only for a short distance before stopping, looking and listening. 

As you spend more time in the woods you'll develop a sense of where the deer will likely travel.   Practice spotting deer all of the time.  A good time to do this is while driving.  You'll get better at it and start spotting more deer more quickly.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 11:01:38 PM »
Here's something to practice. Stare at an object then move your right hand from behind you in an arc forward until you can just see your hand out of the corner of your eye without moving your head.  Then move your left hand from behind you in a arc to where you can just start to see it. This will be your field of view from where you see your right hand to where you can see your left hand.  Practice observing movement or animals or people out of this total field of view without moving your head. Practice tracking a target without moving your head. It's fun and you will be surprised how much more you see. Happy hunting. Also use a little camo paint on your face, ears and neck to remove the shine of your skin.

Offline njoycreation

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 08:09:26 PM »
I've successfully killed several deer from the ground with archery methods.   The first was a 135in 10 pointer.  But don't get me wrong I've been busted more times than I can say.  Every situation is different and terrain and cover all make a big difference.  I'm in Missouri where cover can become an obsticle when getting a clean shot off.  Wind direction, scent coverage, and the ability to move quietly are all very important.  I picked up a leafy bugproof suit from bass pro a couple of years ago.  I love it!!  It allows you to get out early season when the bugs are thick and the deer are on early season feeding patterns.  I've had deer 5 yards away looking at me, flick their tail and move on their way.  If you are still-hunting, my tip is if you are moving through the woods faster than a deer would, than you will be picked off every time.  You must see them before they see you.  Draw earlier than you would if you were in a tree.  This may mean you have to hold your draw longer but its that or have no chance at all.  Good luck and try try again

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
Well the season ended this past weekend - Christmas came early, provided a combing stand and gun season provided my first deer, an 8pt buck!  I did my best the rest of the season, but couldn't seem to make anything work... 

In regards to my first experience, it didn't help hunting a tree line in a guys backyard that he kept mowed (it's a big yard!).  Those little buggers could sneak up on me from any which direction!  Oh well, there's always next year...