Author Topic: Need an ammo recommendation for self defense EDC  (Read 6203 times)

Offline sboyle1

• Prepper
  • Emergency Management Analyst
    • Visit me on Linkedin!
Need an ammo recommendation for self defense EDC
« on: January 30, 2012, 09:37:53 AM »
Hello everyone, sorry if its a repeat but I couldn't find a thread that seems to work best.

Basically I am looking for a recommendation for a .40 S&W round for self defense. I have plenty of rounds to practice with purchasing bulk ammo from our awesome show sponsor but I need to find a good round for EDC I have heard great things about Magsafe rounds particularly the S.W.A.T rounds that won't destroy the house and kill someone in another room if shooting indoors.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Offline res45

• Prepper
Re: Need an ammo recommendation for self defense EDC
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 06:56:04 AM »
tnoutdoors9's does lot of ammo test.  Hopefully some of this will be helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tnoutdoors9/search?query=40+smith+and+wesson

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 07:07:21 AM »
buy a box and run some through your gun, all mags (they don't need to be full) and see what feeds well and is accurate. You may want to find someone in your area who carries the same gun and find out if they have had any issues with certain ammo feeding properly in the gun. try your local gun shop. they are usually a great source for info. until you know, at least carry with target ammo if nothing else as you probably know what does and does not feed well for target ammo. while this is NOT what I would suggest you continue to carry, until you get some reliable carry ammo for your gun and have a chance to run a couple boxes through it, it's better to carry something reliable than nothing at all or something that will fail.

good luck.

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 09:01:35 AM »
Take a look at RBCD ammo.  It's lighter than std ammo and is frangible so risk of penetrating through walls, etc. is lowered....don't be fooled though, this stuff packs a punch.  Check out some youtube clips.  I carry it in all my hand guns.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 09:22:37 AM »
I carry the Winchester SXT / PDX-1 for my .40 (I carry a Sig 226)

I have done some rather extensive wet phone book, drywall, water bottle testing and I have found these have performed the best (it is also a REALLY wiked looking spiked slug after expansion... for the .40 the "petals " measured ~ .82" across)

It is the most accurate in my Sig.  The recoil is predictable.

I don't use the Hydroshock as the large mouth of the hollow point jams on the feed ramp.  A situation that I'm sure is specific to my firearm, I know of many people who carry Hydroshocks.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 09:57:37 AM »
I carry Winchester hollow points in my duty gun and in my off duty compact 40.

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 12:36:41 PM »
Any modern self-defense round from a reputable manufacturer is going to be more than adequate. The most important variable is whether your gun will run it. I use 165 gr. Speer Gold Dot, cause it runs in my guns (Sig 226 & 239) and I got a really good price on it.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 02:01:56 PM »
I use 180 grain Gold Dot Hollow Points from Speer.  That is from using them as a departmental ammo when I was a reserve LEO.  If I had unlimited finances I would likely switch to 165 gr. GDHP. 

Bottom Line is that any modern hollow point ammunition from a reputable manufacturer (Speer, Federal, etc) are probably acceptable so long as they have been tested in your gun for reliability.

I recommend the Gold Dot because I have experience with it, not because I have any great knowledge on comparative ballistics. 

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 02:38:53 PM »
I use 180 grain Gold Dot Hollow Points from Speer.  That is from using them as a departmental ammo when I was a reserve LEO.  If I had unlimited finances I would likely switch to 165 gr. GDHP. 

I got mine from Ammoman.com for $279/500. The box says LE rather than Personal Protection and comes in 50's instead of 20's. No difference in the actual round, its just a marketing thing.

Offline phils70

• Prepper
  • Zone 8b. Where we wear shorts at Christmas.
    • Self Sufficient in the Suburbs
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 09:00:10 PM »
+1 on the 165g Gold Dots.  My limited and unscientific testing shows more penetration than I expected, but looking at the opened up bullet, I have complete confidence in the load.  Simply horrifying.   

Offline sukivel

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 12:15:50 AM »
I have been using Hornady's Critical defense, but after seeing the Corbon DPX round I am going to try those in my G26. I just think that big hollowpoint cavity in an all copper bullet looks gnarley.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 06:11:42 PM »
We carry Hornady custom XTP HP as our issue duty ammo in our glock 22's, so I carry the same in my Glock 27 backup, and off-duty because I'm not going to switch out ammo. But we are pushing for Hornady Critical Duty to be issued the next time they replace our ammo.

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 02:14:31 AM »
Avoid MagSafes and other frangibles; they can be excellent on classic frontal shots where the center chest is unobscured and squarely presented. In less than ideal presentations they can go pieces on hands, arms, and guns that might be covering the center mass target area. Targets with large body mass at angles might require deep penetration to the vital zone.

There are two current loads I would look at in particular; the Winchester PDX Bonded and the Cor-Bon DPX load. That and a supply of full metal jackets which can be considered sort of general purpose ammo.

Test your loads for reliability and accuracy. You do not need 1" 25 yard groups for a defensive pistol. 2"-3" is nice, 3"-4" will do. Start out close, say 5-10 yards for ballpark indicators then move farther out.

Offline Mister Dark

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 06:00:34 AM »
I would second Cooter Brown - any modern HP round from a reputable manufacturer will be a good choice.  Go buy a box of each one you are interested in, and see how they run through your handgun.  I personally settled on Winchester Ranger for my Glock 19, but your mileage may vary. 

Also, I would rather you have 2 boxes of good ammo and spend the rest of your money on proper training, than have cases of the stuff and never do anything more than stand up at the range and plink at a stationary piece of paper.  I had my first combat handgun class last year, it really opened my eyes to what kind of training I should have been doing all this time.  Get some good, defensive handgun training.

Oh by the way, which handgun did you buy?

Offline Donulld

• Prepper
  • 2nd Class Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 07:32:05 AM »
I would throw this suggestion out there also. In this world of anyone being sued for anything, find a LE agency in your local area that carries .40S&W, see what ammo they are carrying/issued, and if your handgun likes this ammo carry it. If you ever have to use your handgun, this is an easy way to deflect claims that you were carrying a round designed to be too "deadly" or cause to much damage. My 2 cents.