Author Topic: Race issues: This is NOT a "whites only" forum!  (Read 22790 times)

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
Re: Race issues: This is NOT a "whites only" forum!
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2012, 02:09:30 PM »
We shouldn't be discriminating against creatures in the D&D Monster Manual or anywhere else either.  ;D

I think the fact that we can be a little silly within the context of such a serious issue is a pretty good indication of how few problems we have here relating to one another.

Offline bluebeast

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2012, 10:54:20 PM »
I thought we were all just ugly bags of water , just some not as ugly.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2012, 04:04:32 PM »
I thought we were all just ugly bags of water , just some not as ugly.

The crystalline intelligent life of Velara III doesn't appreciate our inner beauty. ;D

Offline Rexhavoc

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2012, 06:14:51 PM »
That's "Ugly bags of 'mostly' water." Seriously, my welcome  e-mail from the local Nine-twelve group came bearing the Stars and Bars confederate battle flag, I got the impression it would be a lily-white group because of that, so I declined to join.

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2012, 03:55:27 PM »
Hey, some of my best friends are assholes.  >:(
"Gittin' Old Ain't Fer Sissies"

Offline hedgewitch

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2012, 03:56:41 PM »
i would say this forum is not only "not racist" it is also tolerent of "religious differences", and i find that refreshing

Offline dk1138

• Prepper
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2012, 04:17:20 PM »
I have to say, this is one of few forums that I belong that race rarely if ever comes up in any topic. Even general news about race, it just isn't a topic here.

(Since this thread just popped up again....)

Agreed!  That (the above quote) speaks volumes.  There are so many firearms boards where people post stuff (usually anti-immigrant) that, even when not intended as such, brings up a whole lot of race-baiting and bigoted remarks.  It doesn't even really show up on the radar here. 

I truly find the dialogue here so much above the "internet norm" that it's not even funny. 

Cheers,
David
"The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on."

Online Stinkie Archer

• Not in a good mood, watch out! Might explode if shaken!
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2012, 05:38:42 PM »
We work hard to keep everything calm....

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline murf

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Joe Junior's Farm
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2012, 02:48:57 PM »
Glad to see this.  :)

Offline Project X

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2012, 11:22:42 PM »
Hey, some of my best friends are assholes.  >:(

Hi, my names Jonathon January and I am an asshole!

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2012, 08:01:58 AM »
It doesn't even really show up on the radar here. 
Actually, it shows up every so often.  But we have enough moderators and we take this stuff VERY seriously.  We get rid of the post and deal with the offender however seems fit.

But the biggest aspect of why this stuff doesn't pop up very often is you guys.  The members of TSP make this forum what it is.  If we had a bunch of people looking to cause trouble by posting racist crap, no amount of moderators would be able to keep up with it.
F_M
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2012, 09:29:55 AM »
I am glad to see that this thread is remaining active. I would like to see it at the top of the threads list on the home page - that way anyone coming onto the site would have it in their face on their first visit- NO DOUBT AS TO WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE STAND FOR!!! There are too many REAL issues that need to be dealt with - the color of one's skin or his family's ancestry only play a part when we can tap into the wisdom  of those ancestors ("I remember growing up on a farm in ..... and we used to .....; here's how we did it...."). And that seems to be the way things go here.  And that's why I've been an active participant here for over two years.

soupbone
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”  ----- Benj. Franklin

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2012, 01:30:48 PM »
 I'm happy to see this thread and also that it has gotten so many responses. Both of my parents are horrible racists. I was raised with it in the home as much as TV and apple pie. I was much the same as a kid and teen, but once I got out in the real world, I grew a brain and realized that people are people; no matter of race or origin. My sister won't even let dad have much interaction with his own granddaughter because of him throwing around the "N" word like candy. It just sickens me to deal with it in my own life, so I'm damn happy that it is not tolerated here at TSP. You folks are the best. Hands down.
Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessaries-Mark Twain

My life has a sound track, and it goes to 11.

Married White Male -looking for wild healthy mature Catfish. No smaller than 15 pounds but the bigger the better. Does not need to cook or clean, just needs enjoy munching on chicken livers and long fights on the beach. Please meet me tonight at Walborn Reservoir. Ill be waiting.

Offline monicaB

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2012, 12:52:37 AM »
I agree with you. this is for everybody. :)

Offline Roamer

• Prepper
    • Homesteading in Zone 9
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2012, 06:54:55 AM »
  One of my Facebook friends made a post last week about the Chief Diversity Officer at the State Dept sending out a memo
advising the employees to watch their tongue and refrain from racist and ethically sensitive comments like "hold down the fort" and "rule of thumb" What caught my attention  was a comment made to that post. It is true and I had never thought of this before.

Here is that comment:
 Cracked me up and made my morning to read this. It's like an SNL script isn't it? The first thing that cracks me up is that we actually have a Chief Diversity Officer in the State Department....whose job it is - at t
ax payer expense - to systematically destroy the notion of America being the great "melting pot", becoming instead the great "patchwork quilt" where every national, religious and subversive culture is celebrated with fanfare, except our own. The irony is that race will always be a divisive issue, and will always be destructive to our national soul, as long as we celebrate diversity over unity. This stupidity keeps us lost in a cold race war. Why doesn't the State Department of the UNITED States of America have a Chief Unity Officer, instead? Until then, we'll just have to hold down the fort. (wait, I just cracked myself up.)

Offline jasperg357

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2012, 12:21:58 PM »
  One of my Facebook friends made a post last week about the Chief Diversity Officer at the State Dept sending out a memo
advising the employees to watch their tongue and refrain from racist and ethically sensitive comments like "hold down the fort" and "rule of thumb" What caught my attention  was a comment made to that post. It is true and I had never thought of this before.

Here is that comment:
 Cracked me up and made my morning to read this. It's like an SNL script isn't it? The first thing that cracks me up is that we actually have a Chief Diversity Officer in the State Department....whose job it is - at t
ax payer expense - to systematically destroy the notion of America being the great "melting pot", becoming instead the great "patchwork quilt" where every national, religious and subversive culture is celebrated with fanfare, except our own. The irony is that race will always be a divisive issue, and will always be destructive to our national soul, as long as we celebrate diversity over unity. This stupidity keeps us lost in a cold race war. Why doesn't the State Department of the UNITED States of America have a Chief Unity Officer, instead? Until then, we'll just have to hold down the fort. (wait, I just cracked myself up.)

Maybe I am just slow but how is the phrase "Rule Of Thumb" racist??
Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree....Martin Luther

"Usually, terrible things that are done with the excuse that progress requires them
are not really progress at all, but just terrible things."
Russell Baker

Every man must do two things alone; he must do his own believing and his own dying....Martin Luther

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2012, 01:33:23 PM »
Here's an article with some quotes from the aforemetioned Diversity Officer:

State Department: 'Hold down the fort,' other common phrases could be offensive

I can sorta see where the State Department has to be hyper-aware of things that might cause offense, since they're in the diplomacy business.  This does make them look a tad silly, though.

The comment about "melting pot" vs "patchwork quilt" -- I have mixed feelings about this.  The way the commenter has worded it, I think he's missed the point.

...the great "patchwork quilt" where every national, religious and subversive culture is celebrated with fanfare, except our own. ...

The point of the melting pot is that there's no such thing as "our own" culture; there's just a constantly-changing mix as new immigrants bring in new bits of their own culture.  Ideally, we are continually updating "our" culture with the best imported bits, and throwing out the worst bits (new or old).

Anyway, I don't want to drag this thread completely off-topic.  So getting back to how we moderate the forum...

Generally speaking, we ask two things of our members:
  • Try to avoid giving offense.
  • Try to avoid taking offense.

We aren't going to ban the word "handicapped" -- everyone on this forum has Internet access and is able to look up the real origin of the term, which has nothing to do with "cap in hand".  But if someone uses "handicapped" in an obviously offensive manner, we'll certainly take action.

Online Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline morleron

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2012, 06:02:15 AM »
I am so glad that this post is right up front for everyone to see.  Let's hope that they also understand that, if society does indeed collapse to the point that we get a chance to stuff the Federal government back into its Constitutional box and start the U.S. over again, we also have a once in a millennium opportunity to start a "raceless" nation.  Those who preach that we need to return to this nation's "founding principles" need to understand that when Jefferson wrote "all men are created equal" that's exactly what he meant - political equality and equality of opportunity are mankind's inherent rights.  Even though he was unable to put into practice what he preached it doesn't lessen the importance of the principle.  It also means that it is up to us to do our best to make dream of true equality come true.  As the OP said, prepping is for everyone.

Just my $.02 (in silver),
Ron

Offline nursemommy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2012, 10:38:22 AM »
I am so thankful for this forum! I knew when I was listening to the Zello channel that this was the place for me. Survival is for everyone, not just a select few. We can learn so much from each other when we break down barriers. Again, thanks for the open minds.  8)

Offline wildfiddler

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2012, 10:19:52 PM »
As an interesting side, geneticists have recently determined that most of the world's human population carry 1-4 percent Neanderthal genetic material; however, since Neaderthals didn't make it far into Africa, most Sub-Saharan African popualtions are "pure", with no Neaderthal "mixing". How the plot thickens...

And yes, it's high time to find commonalities rather than differences.

Wildfiddler

Some men rob you with a six gun, others with a fountain pen. Six gun, please.

Offline Twibble

• Survivor
  • I forgot what I was thinking...
    • Trepanation for the Sane
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2012, 01:26:01 PM »
I know that everyone has the same color blood first hand.

Taking this completely out of context.

People get mad at me if I try to check...guess I'll have to take your word for it.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 01:47:24 PM by Twibble »
Cousin: "Who was crazy enough to take her to the range?"
Guy I later married: "I figured I should know how well she can shoot before I tick her off.  I don't want to tick her off."

Offline soupbone

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2012, 06:14:10 PM »

And yes, it's high time to find commonalities rather than differences.

Wildfiddler

VIVE LE DIFFERENCE!!! The majority of us here revel in the differences between us. Different is not better or worse, it is merely, well, different. And from that difference in lives, experiences and heritages, we draw our strength as a community. A world-wide community, I might add, with members from Scandinavia to Australia and ALL points in between.

soupbone
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”  ----- Benj. Franklin

Offline scaatylobo

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2012, 09:37:47 AM »
LOL.

Its not the color = its the mentality.

If you judge,prepare to be judged.

I hope to meet a RTK&BA Martian someday,dont care if he/she is green.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
    • Blog - That Writer Broad
« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2012, 07:42:47 PM »
As a newbie here, I have to say that I was really glad to see this thread.  I have blonde hair and blue eyes, and I can't tell you how many times people assume I'm racist and start spouting crap.  Glad to see it's not what this place is all about.
Blog - That Writer Broad - http://ThatWriterBroad.com/

Offline mrfusion70

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2012, 12:54:22 PM »
agreed and well said!

Offline TorontoGrl

• Prepper
  • Russian immigrant :)
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2012, 10:16:08 AM »
This forum is also nice to Russians (former enemies of the republic) haha

Offline soupbone

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2012, 09:56:49 AM »
This forum is also nice to Russians (former enemies of the republic) haha

Of course, TG. Russians gave us two of our most useful items - AK's and Vodka. Not to be used at the same time, of course. Unless you're using the Vodka as a bore cleaner. A waste, granted, but sometimes you do what ya gotta do........ ;)

soupbone

PS: Welcome to the forum.   s.

Offline TorontoGrl

• Prepper
  • Russian immigrant :)
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »
Of course, TG. Russians gave us two of our most useful items - AK's and Vodka. Not to be used at the same time, of course. Unless you're using the Vodka as a bore cleaner. A waste, granted, but sometimes you do what ya gotta do........ ;)

soupbone

PS: Welcome to the forum.   s.

HILARIOUS!

Thanks  8)

Offline Muddyboots

• Danger: Do Not Inflate
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Hoodlum's Ambassador
    • Hood's Woods- the Hoodlums Forum
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2012, 03:06:18 PM »
The Russians brought us more than that!

The writing alone! Then there is philosophy and dance and a lot more. It was never the people, just the State.

I want to point out that not only do the Mods and Admin break their backs keeping this place running and free from Trolls, they are also in contact with the teams from several other boards. We compare notes and give each other "heads up" on problems. Communication and research skills are powerful tools against hate mongers.

Muddyboots
Communication is a Survival Skill.

Shared pain is lessened, shared joy is increased!
Thus do we refute entropy.
-also-
It is better to be poor in a healthy economy than rich in a dying economy!
 -S. Robinson