Author Topic: Filtering run off water  (Read 2528 times)

Offline TraceA

• Survivor
    • TraceMyPreps
Filtering run off water
« on: February 02, 2012, 10:16:54 AM »
Question: How do Berkey filters do with run-off pond water that may contain lawn chemicals, pesticides, road oils, etc.

We have several run off type ponds in the neighborhood, where water can drain after a storm. Are they going to be a safe sources of water to filter. Your site specifically says ponds and stagnant ponds, but what about the chemicals in them?

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
Re: Filtering run off water
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 10:01:48 AM »
Question: How do Berkey filters do with run-off pond water that may contain lawn chemicals, pesticides, road oils, etc.

We have several run off type ponds in the neighborhood, where water can drain after a storm. Are they going to be a safe sources of water to filter. Your site specifically says ponds and stagnant ponds, but what about the chemicals in them?

Great question, please let us know what specific chemicals may be in the water?

theberkeyguy

Offline TraceA

• Survivor
    • TraceMyPreps
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 01:35:12 PM »
That's my point. We don't and won't know. I could get the water tested each year and it might be different (even each month dependent on the amount of rain and the season).

I'm essentially saying if it's in a suburban neighborhood that has roads that could drain in petroleum products, lawns that may have been sprayed with pesticides and/or herbicides into a designated drainage type pond.

Another point is we live in Washington so we do get a lot of rain so things would probably be very diluted, and flushed out. I"m just wondering if the trace chemicals that we might get would be taken out by the filters.

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 07:34:41 AM »
That's my point. We don't and won't know. I could get the water tested each year and it might be different (even each month dependent on the amount of rain and the season).

I'm essentially saying if it's in a suburban neighborhood that has roads that could drain in petroleum products, lawns that may have been sprayed with pesticides and/or herbicides into a designated drainage type pond.

Another point is we live in Washington so we do get a lot of rain so things would probably be very diluted, and flushed out. I"m just wondering if the trace chemicals that we might get would be taken out by the filters.

The black berkey elements can reduce pesticides and/or herbicides.

"The powerful Black Berkey® purification elements also remove or reduce viruses, pathogenic cysts, parasites, harmful or unwanted chemicals such as herbicides and pesticides, VOCs, detergents, organic solvents, cloudiness, trihalomethanes, silt, sediment, heavy metals, foul tastes and odors, yet they leave in the healthful and beneficial minerals that your body needs and...."

theberkeyguy

Offline TraceA

• Survivor
    • TraceMyPreps
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 12:45:07 PM »
Guess I missed that part. That answers it, thanks!