Author Topic: Augason Farms Potato Gems  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Hiltonizer

• Prepper
Augason Farms Potato Gems
« on: February 07, 2012, 10:42:43 PM »
Recently purchase a 2pk of Augason Farms potato gems #10 cans through SamsClub.com (I highly recommend SamsClub.com for some of this al-a-carte type stuff... almost 50% off the Augason farms site if you don't mind buying 2 cans at a time)

I went ahead with this purchase as it wasn't much more expensive per pound than regular store brand instant potatoes even after shipping, and hoped to store and rotate as a replacement, the bonus being they already packed for LTS.

I wouldn't go as far to say these are bad, but I noticed they had an odd flavor. Upon further research, these have salt additives and "butter flavor" additives. For me, this would be suitable long term storage but not good for every day use... even to someone used to crappy store brand instant potatoes. These are WAY to salty for daily use, and also have a strong chemical note.

In my research, I found most of their foods (which seem to be identical to Walton Feed equivalents, possibly repackaged), are laden with sodium and other chemical additives. This seems to be a trend with long term storage foods. Anyone looking into using these as anything more than adjuncts should be forewarned that they would be exposed to 3-4x the daily recommended sodium allowance per day if trying to live off this stuff.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
Re: Augason Farms Potato Gems
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 09:17:26 AM »
yea the extra sodium has been noted before but I can't remember the posts. Anything like that we don't use for everyday use anyway. I just bought plain old potato flakes in bulk from the LDS cannery and packed it into my own mylar bags, we rotate these into our daily use. Nothing added to them, just starchy potatoes...

Offline GPSpokane

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Augason Farms Potato Gems
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 09:34:02 AM »
Thats good to know and thanks for the post, but it doesn't really bother me, after all I'm not eating that stuff now (I know store what you eat...) when the time comes to eat stored food I will be adding it to other fresh food or bulk wheat/beans and the extra salt will be Ok.