Author Topic: SpinSkins bike tire liners  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
SpinSkins bike tire liners
« on: February 08, 2012, 08:47:16 PM »
I keep meaning to get around to writing this review.  Like every time I jump on my CX bike to go ride the glass-strewn seawall and bridge route along the coast here, and I think "wow, it's been eight months since I've had a flat, I should write a review."  To put this into perspective, I was having a flat about once every two weeks before I put these tire liners in.  So, yeah, these things work like a charm.  I'm using the less-expensive "Duro" version.  At $35, they're not cheap, but I've more than made up for that in not buying patches and tubes, not to mention time and aggravation.  They add a little weight, but with the short-tread offroad tires I'm running it's hard to tell any difference.  In a nutshell, the bike rolls the same as before.  It just rolls a lot longer between flats.

To recap: Eight months with no flats, up from a flat every two weeks.  Light and thin enough that for non-race tires it's hard-to-impossible to tell that they're in there.  Not cheap, but they've paid for themselves already.  For post-TEOTWAWKI or just everyday use, these are good stuff!

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
Re: SpinSkins bike tire liners
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 08:39:05 PM »
Jinxed myself!  I knew that writing that review would cause a flat.  Ripped out a stem last weekend while airing the tires up, so yeah, I had a flat but it was not a puncture flat.  Seems to be how the universe works.

OTOH, rolled right through a broken bottle on today's ride with no ill effects.

Offline thezoo

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Wherever You go, there You are!
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 06:23:51 PM »
gonna hafta look inta those

Offline blueyedmule

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 09:10:49 PM »
They're fantastic! Also Tufo tire sealant. With those two the only thing left is massive tire failure (like when I hit a man hole cover in the dark that was upside down centerpunching the hooks that secure it).

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 01:46:54 PM »
Three years and three months after installing these things, I finally had a flat! ;D   Cause of the flat was a 1-1/4" drywall screw that finally wormed through the casing and the spinskin.  Glass?  Don't make my tires laugh.

Now mind you this is not my high-mileage bike, it's the weekend all-rounder, so I'm guesstimating that's only about 2500 miles.  But still, this long (time or mileage) between flats is darned near miraculous.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 01:17:38 PM »
Seven and a half years along, finally had a legit flat from a sliver of glass.  The little sucker slipped in from the side, just slightly off the part the SpinSkins covered.

In the meantime, I've worn through two sets of tires and three sets of tubes.  Think it's time to spring for a new set of liners.

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 04:46:25 PM »
Liners are required here in TX where we have mesquite trees.  One other peice of advice for people who are not experiencenced cyclist.  Most flats are pinch flats caused by the rim pinching the tube when your tires are under inflated.  Check your tire pressure before each ride and you will have a lot less flats.  Mountain bike tires should flex a little when you sit on the bike as this gives you better traction.  With road bike tires you use the pressure on the side of the tire.  Road bike tires should be very firm with little flex.  Overinflating road tires will cause more wear on your tires.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 07:32:50 PM »
Darnit, no longer made.
http://www.warwickmills.com/About-Warwick/Textile-Mill.aspx

OTOH, there are a lot of plastic liners, "Mr. Tuffy" etc., that are getting decent reviews.  And they're a lot less expensive than these elf-spun mithril tire liners.