Author Topic: Is your intuition kicking in?  (Read 193447 times)

Pokethis

Re: Is your intuition kicking in?
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2009, 08:48:11 PM »
Whoa! coffeycat!  relax.  You still have time to prep.  Buy extra food, extra supplies now.  Not all in one day just week by week untill you can't.  Start a garden.  We're not at the bottom yet.  There is still time.  er...  I've got to go to Sam's now...  There is still time cat.

Offline eph2

• Survivor
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2009, 09:45:32 AM »
I am almost panicked.  Things are just going downhill everyday.  I just read "The Barney Frank Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008 that started the current rash of "stimulus Giveaways" pledged 300 billion to let the banks cherry pick the worst subprime mortgage loans in their portfolios and shift the burden of paying them to the taxpayer - up to 300 billion."  I can't get past this.  It has to be illegal and totally unAmerican. Panicked too because so many in my family do not have enough money to prep and I have grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren.  C.

What is starting to help me calm down is prepping in some way or another EVERY DAY.  When you don't have money, work on a plan, clean out a closet to store supplies, research on the internet, download information and put in an In-case-of-emergency 3-ring binder.  Buy a little extra food every time you can.  If you are a great-grandmother, one of the best things you can do for your family is to be prepared yourself.  That will buy them time, if they know you are not in a desperate situation and can take care of yourself for awile.

Offline susan1957

• Senior Survivalist
  • Steel Magnolia
    • Smith's Simple Frugal Life
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2009, 03:23:38 AM »
I started seriously prepping in September of 08 and it was about Thanksgiving I really got into panicked mode.
My son and his wife are now prepping.  My sister informed me the other day I needed to put up canned goods. She's never prepped before.
It was really nice when the recent 18" snow I didn't have to run to the store like everyone else. 
Prayer is very much a part of my daily preps.  I don't think anyone that has 2 sons in the military don't pray continously.

amberwolf

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2009, 10:30:35 AM »
Our hands aren't tied, we can prepare for things to come in small steps. Like one person had suggested on this forum, filling coffee cans, or how about filling a spray bottle with white vinegar just so we have an emergency spray to kill virus or bacteria. It may not being a total economic melt down coming ahead, but it may be a viral disease. But whatever it may be, just having that awareness puts you way ahead of the game, that should make you feel real good about the capabilities of our spiritual helpers and how you were open enough to listen to the message.

IRoberge

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2009, 05:04:49 PM »
I'm not sure if its "intuition" but daily I have a gnawing in the pit of my stomach that something "just ain't right" with the world.  I think is this going to be the day things really start going down hill? 

All I can do about it is keep on plugging along.  Storing up extra foodstuffs when I have money to spare. Simplifying the way we live so that whatever is coming will not be a total shock. Expanding the garden now to aquire skills, not waiting until we need the garden to keep us alive.   Keep paying down bills. 

Something is coming.  I'm just not sure what it is or how people around us will react. 

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2009, 10:48:20 PM »
Panicked too because so many in my family do not have enough money to prep and I have grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren.
At the risk of proposing something that could be seen as extreme, I would rather share and help allay some of your concerns than withhold data when a fellow ant is in a panic.

I dumpster dive. Granted, it's not because I am destitute, but because I saw how much food and supplies are discarded by this consumerist society so many of us are mired in that I decided I was not going to stand for it. A couple of weeks ago I pulled out almost $200 worth of gourmet ($10 coffee cakes, several containers of Farfalle with Chanterelle mushrooms and Wild Truffle Oil, all very posh stuff) goods out of a boutique Manhattan grocers' dumpster. When I get the pigs in they will be dining on the finest overpriced organic produce New York City dwellers enjoy. I can't even tell you how much lightly blemished baby bok choi and frisée I had to leave behind because I have to restart my compost bin at the new homestead. Anyway at the risk of carrying on like Charlotte Web's Templeton at the State Fair (Smorgasbord! Smorgasbord!), suffice to say there's food and plenty of it out there ready to be dehydrated, frozen and otherwise preserved. There are bakeries that say they donate their breads to local shelters that only donate some of those goods, meanwhile over 100 bagels nightly get bagged up and pitched. Meanwhile people pay $3 for half a dozen sad little rounds from their local supermarket freezer. With a good slicer, those discarded bagels make excellent bagel chips and those things keep forever!

Today I picked up 2 cake icing buckets with the lids from Big Evil (er I mean Wal-Mart) thanks to a tip from the TSP forums. I will probably clean these out and turn these into planters. I spoke to the cake decorator at the store and she said she'd be happy to save them for me as she just throws them out at the end of her shift. That's 2-5 containers a day at that store alone. Cleaned out, you can store water, vacuum sealed food, or do as I am and plant something.

Last year, friends who were just sniffing around the possibility of preparedness asked me how they could get more out of what they had. I showed them how to take the 'dining nook' in their small apartment (700 square feet for six people is a squeeze) into a series of tiered planting beds with shelving set against the windows so they could grow as much as 30% of their own food. I also introduced them to a local Food Co-Op that takes barter, a rarity in the US. So they could bring their herb crop (high value, low maintenance, small footprint goods) and trade that for eggs, dairy and other food. This is all at a stone's throw from Disney World by the way, a place they can't even afford to go.

Also, look at the plethora of coupon hackers all over the net. A Full Cup, Pinching Your Pennies, The Obsessive Shopper just to start. These people not only get hundreds of dollars worth of groceries at 60% to 100% off but they have entire videos and step-by-step how-tos on how we can all do the same. Yes it can be tedious, but not as much of a bother as going hungry.  :D

Your local Freecycle, CraigsList Free Section and 'free free' market swaps are great places to score everything from baby supplies to garden equipment. I am constantly scoring good things from all of those sources. In fact, tomorrow (provided no one's scooped it) I'm getting a free treadle sewing machine. Woman's sick of it cluttering up her garage and I would love human-powered means of sewing. Last year, I got a hot tub, a claw-footed bathtub, a collapsible poker table and so many other things I can't even list them here. Of course I pay it forward, I've given away free weights, books, and more office chairs than I can count (7?).

I agree with eph2, doing something everyday really helps. Even if it's just filling up a container full of water, buying a couple of bags of dried beans, preserving your garden crop, or cutting salvaged linens into bandages, every little bit you do is a brick in your fortress of independence. If you feel that you need to prepare for not just you but your family, make a plan and do what you can. That's all we can really do in the end.

Don't let the news that the sky is falling keep you up at night, because ants need their rest!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 10:51:47 PM by ebonearth »

Offline eph2

• Survivor
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2009, 11:22:55 AM »

"Don't let the news that the sky is falling keep you up at night, because ants need their rest!"

Awesome!

Offline TexSquirrel

• Survivor
  • Native Texan
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2009, 11:40:21 AM »
My wife has always just accepted my "eccentric" behavior.
But lately she has become VERY interested in prepping.
When I talk about possible food shortages she ignored me, but when the MSM started talking about it I had instant credibility. ;)
She has been questioning my preps I've spent years building.
"Don't we need more water?"
"Shouldn't we store X instead of Y"
"What about V?"
"How do you expect me to cook Z?"

About most things she has decided I made correct decisions, but we're in the process of making a lot of changes too.
I wish she had come aboard sooner, but it is nice to have her interested.
Prepping is so much simpler when there are two heads working together.

I got her to look at the Lady Survivors forum, but she didn't get too excited.
She felt that there was too much doom and gloom in the one post she looked at.
I hope to get her back here sometime, but for now y'all are stuck with me.
I started to lurking in this forum to get the womens perspective so maybe I can see things from her view.

Pokethis

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2009, 04:21:25 PM »
 :)  Good work TexSquirrel.

rdanderson

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2009, 04:53:24 PM »
Hi,
I am a mother of three beautiful preschoolers. I would love to be preoccupied with hair, nails and fashion, but my intuition is screaming!!! I seem to be the minority here, and my husband is the one with the head stuck in the ground. We are a typical suburban family in North Texas.  I am fighting for the ability to prepare my family for a possible harsh future and my husband, dealing with corporate stress, does not want to “deal” with it.  My grandparents are/were daughters and sons of the American Revelation, farmers, Texas natives and survivors of the 32’ Great Depression.  So needless to say I am a defender of our great U.S. Constitution that my forefathers fought for and understand the reality of what may come.  I would love to connect with other mothers out there who are fighting for the survival/preparedness of their families.

onepreparedmama

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2009, 05:34:26 PM »
Hi,
I am a mother of three beautiful preschoolers. I would love to be preoccupied with hair, nails and fashion, but my intuition is screaming!!! I seem to be the minority here, and my husband is the one with the head stuck in the ground. We are a typical suburban family in North Texas.  I am fighting for the ability to prepare my family for a possible harsh future and my husband, dealing with corporate stress, does not want to “deal” with it.  My grandparents are/were daughters and sons of the American Revelation, farmers, Texas natives and survivors of the 32’ Great Depression.  So needless to say I am a defender of our great U.S. Constitution that my forefathers fought for and understand the reality of what may come.  I would love to connect with other mothers out there who are fighting for the survival/preparedness of their families.

I've been a lurker for sometime, but your post made me register so I could post back to you.  I'm a mother to 3 children as well- my dh is a professional by day and a farmer by night.  I wanted to tell you that you are not alone, it's not your imagination, and you aren't powerless.  Unless your dh puts his foot down completely, there are some things you can do to prepare.  Start by building a pantry, even if it's just $50 a paycheck.  That can buy alot of canned goods, flour, sugar...you get the idea.  Consider getting something non-food each time you go to the store, like an oli lamp and some oil (I bought one and some oil for around $11), batteries, solar showers, which are bags that can be heated and used for showering.  Our Walmart has them for around $5 and they are reusable.  Buy seeds!  Even if your husband doesn't get it now, he may REAL SOON, and you'll need to have them on hand.  If there is a "you pick" farm nearby, plan to pick and can produce this summer if you can't get your own garden.  Start buying some canning supplies now.  Put some cash away when you can.  I know it seems overwhelming, but just start by taking small steps.  Your dh is going to thank you for it, whether he knows it now or not.  Don't forget to listen to Jack's podcast on getting your spouse on board.  Please keep us posted on how you are doing!   :)  Carey

Pokethis

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2009, 05:34:57 PM »
Well, we're right here!  Take the suggestions here and just do it like buy extra food when you go to the store.  If you have any control over financial matters, save money ( I have two accounts seperate from family account).  If you are able to act independantly, buy some sort of self defense (I was the one who bought our guns, just 2 a hand gun and a shot gun which I think are sufficient).  Welcome!  You've found your community rdanderson.

Offline nano.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2009, 06:38:22 PM »
Welcome to the forum Carey! You will find that there are many, many great people here with a ton of knowledge to share! Everyone of us started where you are, all you can do is take it step by step.

Welcome!  ;D

I've been a lurker for sometime, but your post made me register so I could post back to you.  I'm a mother to 3 children as well- my dh is a professional by day and a farmer by night.  I wanted to tell you that you are not alone, it's not your imagination, and you aren't powerless.  Unless your dh puts his foot down completely, there are some things you can do to prepare.  Start by building a pantry, even if it's just $50 a paycheck.  That can buy alot of canned goods, flour, sugar...you get the idea.  Consider getting something non-food each time you go to the store, like an oli lamp and some oil (I bought one and some oil for around $11), batteries, solar showers, which are bags that can be heated and used for showering.  Our Walmart has them for around $5 and they are reusable.  Buy seeds!  Even if your husband doesn't get it now, he may REAL SOON, and you'll need to have them on hand.  If there is a "you pick" farm nearby, plan to pick and can produce this summer if you can't get your own garden.  Start buying some canning supplies now.  Put some cash away when you can.  I know it seems overwhelming, but just start by taking small steps.  Your dh is going to thank you for it, whether he knows it now or not.  Don't forget to listen to Jack's podcast on getting your spouse on board.  Please keep us posted on how you are doing!   :)  Carey

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2009, 07:19:15 PM »
Welcome both randerson and onepreparedmama! So glad you joined us!

onepreparedmama

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2009, 08:27:58 PM »
Thanks for the Welcome!  There is so much to learn here from everyone-  I just keep plugging along but have a way to go before I'll feel like I can breathe.  A little intro:  My dh and I have a small farm, about 14 acres.  We have 3 children, 2 boys ages 10 and 7 and a girl, age 2.  We have 2 cows, 4 sheep, a ram and "buddy" for the ram, several egg laying hens and 2 dogs (and misc. barn cats).  We've  put money down on some dairy goats due this spring. 

I homeschool my boys- this is our first year doing it and I LOVE it.  I wished I had pulled them out sooner.  We're studying American History this year.  Scary how many similarities between now and just before the American Revolution.  As far as prepping goes, we have a pretty good pantry going with lots of supplies.  We have a generator and gas stored.  We have a woodburning stove in our home that we can also cook on in cold weather.  One of our trees had to come down this past summer and we have alot of wood- enough to last through next winter.  Our main concern right now is getting water from our well in the event of power failure.  We're looking into a hand pump.  I was also concerned with cooking in warm weather but I think I have figured that out - bought a "grill" that sits over a fire and has a rotissirie and 2 hooks that would hand over the fire.   

But don't be fooled.  No matter how much I think I'm prepared, I know there is so much more to work on.  Thanks so much for the inspiration and wisdom!!  Carey

Winchester32

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2009, 01:03:46 AM »
Hi,

I am new to this board also (after a bit of lurking myself!).  I have 4 girls ages 8 on down to 2.  My biggest concern is always how to keep care of them and keep them safe.  I have done basic food storage for quite a while, mainly because of the size of my family.  We often have extended family living with us.  It is just more cost effective to buy in bulk or take advantage of case lots sales at local supermarkets.  I was raised in a fairly poor family (although I never knew it) and so we were always very frugal and I can still hear my mothers voice saying, "always have extra on hand; you never know when you might be without power or water; what if you break down someplace far from home, do you have stuff in you car to survive?" etc, etc.  I am more grateful than ever for those lessons. 

But now with the worsening economy, and global drought being a huge issue this year, I tend to feel like that train is flying down the track at the speed of light and I can't move fast enough.  When I get to feeling flustered, I stop and think if everything shut down right this moment, what could I absolutely NOT live without?  I can usually get my priorities in order in a quick hurry. 

I try to work on something almost every day.  If I don't have $$ to purchase something at a particular moment, I put it on a want list, and then work on something else, like organizing medical stuff or preparing canning supplies or taking inventories.  Two of my children have medical issues, so figuring out how to have meds long term is a huge issue for me.  I have spent a lot of time researching holistic meds & herbs that might work in the event I can't get Rx.  I try to stay as natural as possible and I have found considerable success with this over the years. 

Above all else, I pray for guidance and follow that 'gut instinct' I feel so fortunate to have.  It has never let me down yet. 

This really is a great forum and I'm so glad I stumbled across it. 

Cheers!

Offline Mrs. Miniver

• Prepper
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2009, 08:29:29 AM »
Hi Ladies!

Another LONGTIME listener and lurker here!  I am so grateful to each of you who have shared on this forum.  It is a gold mine of information in one place.   I feel some days like I am cramming for the most important test I have ever taken (but the test covers about a hundred different subjects!)  So much to learn and do in such a short time.

Right now, I'm sitting on the edge of my chair, waiting for the FedEX truck to deliver my new dehydrator.  Watching the videos on Youtube by dehydrate2store has really changed the direction of my food preps.  I'm still going to can, but most of the extra is going to be dehydrated.

There is one little change in habit that I have made that has made a difference in the amount of preps I have put aside.  If I set foot into any store,  I don't leave without getting something that can be put into our preps.  It needs to cost under $1 if possible.  Instead of grabbing a coke or candy bar, I get a can of tomato sauce or a bag of Lipton rice.  If I just need shampoo, get extra bandaids or a bottle of aspirin.  Hardware section - a box of canning jar lids.  Shoe store - extra shoe strings.  It doesn't seem like much, but it starts to add up if you do it each time.  Plus, I don't eat all those candy bars!!

Offline eph2

• Survivor
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2009, 09:41:17 AM »
Hi Ladies!

Another LONGTIME listener and lurker here!  I am so grateful to each of you who have shared on this forum.  It is a gold mine of information in one place.   I feel some days like I am cramming for the most important test I have ever taken (but the test covers about a hundred different subjects!)  So much to learn and do in such a short time.

Right now, I'm sitting on the edge of my chair, waiting for the FedEX truck to deliver my new dehydrator.  Watching the videos on Youtube by dehydrate2store has really changed the direction of my food preps.  I'm still going to can, but most of the extra is going to be dehydrated.

There is one little change in habit that I have made that has made a difference in the amount of preps I have put aside.  If I set foot into any store,  I don't leave without getting something that can be put into our preps.  It needs to cost under $1 if possible.  Instead of grabbing a coke or candy bar, I get a can of tomato sauce or a bag of Lipton rice.  If I just need shampoo, get extra bandaids or a bottle of aspirin.  Hardware section - a box of canning jar lids.  Shoe store - extra shoe strings.  It doesn't seem like much, but it starts to add up if you do it each time.  Plus, I don't eat all those candy bars!!

+1 for remembering Mrs. Miniver - excellent movie! 

I watched all of the dehydrate2store videos too and loved them.  Can't wait to get started.

I really feel comforted by all of the women appearing one by one on this forum.  Not feeling quite so isolated now.....

Pokethis

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
There's been studies ( Okay wasted, can't recall) that women (and I am one) are just more tuned or paranoid about stuff.  Guess what, because we will be destitute normally if our man loses his job.  Used to be in the 70's the wife could go work and get 70% or the husbands wage but now since both spouses usually work - if one loses a job it's bad news for the whole family - Which is what I'm facing now.

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2009, 02:30:28 AM »
I really feel comforted by all of the women appearing one by one on this forum.  Not feeling quite so isolated now.....
You and me both eph2!

And a hearty welcome to Mrs. Miniver!

Offline Mrs. Miniver

• Prepper
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2009, 08:50:08 AM »
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

The dehydrator finally showed up about 30 minutes ago - this thing's built like a truck!  I'm going to give it a quick bath and load her up with pineapple rings for the first batch.  Will let you know how it turns out.

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2009, 02:57:25 PM »
Hello from North Texas.  I am new and have found a new sisterhood.  My family in California thinks  Nana's lost it, but they know I've always been a prepper.  I am sooo blessed to have 60 acres quite a ways from metro area, enough to make a safe, sustainable life.  Have been a shooter and hunter my whole life, but lack a lot of self defense skills.  Thanks for being here to help, since I have been a widow for two years.  Your information is invaluable.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
Hello from North Texas.  I am new and have found a new sisterhood.  My family in California thinks  Nana's lost it, but they know I've always been a prepper.  I am sooo blessed to have 60 acres quite a ways from metro area, enough to make a safe, sustainable life.  Have been a shooter and hunter my whole life, but lack a lot of self defense skills.  Thanks for being here to help, since I have been a widow for two years.  Your information is invaluable.

Welcome welcome welcome.  :)  You are gonna really like it here, I think.  :)  I'm sorry to hear that you're a widow - I imagine that that's a tough row to hoe.  There are plenty of us in California who do not think you've lost it, so there is hope for us yet.  ;)

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2009, 11:50:57 PM »
Welcome monkeyboyf! The gals here are great! I am sure you have probably forgotten more about preparedness than I have even begun to learn. All that aside, my condolences for your loss.

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2009, 08:42:42 PM »
Thanks so much for the warm welcome.  I too am trying to find info about a hand pump for my 380' water well in the event of electrical failure.  So far the only ones found are for 300' or less.  Guess a large storage tank is the next best solution.
I have plenty of firewood for fuel and game for protein source, so I'm sure the Lord will provide.

Coyote

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2009, 04:24:56 AM »
Thanks so much for the warm welcome.  I too am trying to find info about a hand pump for my 380' water well in the event of electrical failure.  So far the only ones found are for 300' or less.  Guess a large storage tank is the next best solution.
I have plenty of firewood for fuel and game for protein source, so I'm sure the Lord will provide.

380' is a long way up.  Doubt if a hand pump will work regardless of what the manufacturer claims.  You could always use a well bucket (http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=97&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=97) but at that depth it will take you a year and a day to haul up a reasonable amount of water. A large storage tank is a better bet. 

Michael Masse

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2009, 10:19:23 AM »
Just out of curiosity, is your well dry at 300' and water is only available at 380'.

Not really familiar will how wells are set up but perhaps your well goes to 380' but water table is much more shallow so that a hand pump that went down to 300' would possibly work in the event that power went out.

Just a thought.  Maybe you know the answer already.  Also is it possible to drop a bucket down a modern well. I thought the pipe was pretty small.

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2009, 07:54:22 PM »
Thanks so much for the warm welcome.  I too am trying to find info about a hand pump for my 380' water well in the event of electrical failure.
Hope you don't mind but I went looking around on your behalf and came across this Hand Water Pump or Solar Powered 12v Motor Driven.

We highly recommend this hand water pump for either an emergency water pump for your existing well or as a remote site water pump for wells with common 2" through 8" casings. Fresh water can be easily pumped from as deep as 350' by hand. The hand effort required from a typical depth of 100' is only 13 pounds of child-like downward force for 3 gallons per minute.

The Model 100 pump self-primes - is frost proof - and can deliver water at up to 100 psi which allows your home pressure tank to be charged by hand to get water right from the spigot or use a reservoir.

I know it's 30' shy of your well but perhaps you can contact them directly and find out if they have improved on it at all or if there's an extension that can be procured for the last 30 feet. It's not exactly cheap but the fact that it can be used as a hand pump or solar powered certainly seems versatile enough to be worth it. You could also just modify your existing pump to run on a small solar panel. Good luck!

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2009, 09:39:30 PM »
Gosh, thanks for all the info and to ebonearth for the research.  I will check with your source.  It's a submersible pump, so may be better off with an alternate power source.  I'm not sure what the water level is, but I'm sure it is higher than the pump.  Bless you all for the help. Judi

Offline oregoncactus

• Prepper
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2009, 09:01:46 PM »
I found this forum and podcast through a google search after deciding I couldn't ignore my gut feelings anymore.  It is easy to get overwhelmed, but like a previous poster said, I take it one day at a time.  Slow and steady wins the race.

I am a stay-at-home mom to a 14 year old and 9 year old.  Luckily my husband is on board.  I am enjoying reading old threads here and listening to all the podcasts.  It is nice to know I am not the only one with warning bells going off.  It is nice to see others thoughts along the same lines.