Author Topic: Mylar sealers  (Read 4460 times)

Offline SpaceCaptain

• Prepper
  • All thine encampments are now in our possession
Mylar sealers
« on: February 16, 2012, 12:51:49 PM »
For my food preps, I typically use 1 gallon mylar bags, 2000cc O2 absorbers, and seal them with a small heat sealer:
http://www.amazon.com/SCG-TS-100-Sealer-Battery-Operated/dp/B000E8OKQ8/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1329421475&sr=8-13

The sealer works but is a pain to use because it's so small. I'm looking around for a better sealer, but some of them are $100 or more. Can anyone suggest a good, inexpensive sealer that works well for mylar? I'm open to alternatives too if there is something better.

nkawtg

Re: Mylar sealers
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 01:02:40 PM »
A clothes iron works fine.
Or a hobby sealing iron like this:
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/cov/covcovr2550.htm

Offline SpaceCaptain

• Prepper
  • All thine encampments are now in our possession
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 01:25:31 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. In my opinion an iron seems a little more troublesome as bags get full with food. I thought sealers that clamp down on both sides of the bag were easier to use, but I haven't actually used irons for sealing so I could be wrong about all that.

Melodee

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 01:33:54 PM »
I've used my 'flat iron' before and it works well.

It's for women's hair - like a curling iron, but with 2 hot flat plates that you squeeze together; they're smooth, so you can just draw it across the opening.  they cost about 25 bucks...

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »
I use an iron and a 48" Box Beam Aluminum Level. The level is long enough to lay across the bucket which makes it easy to seal the large 5 gallon bags when they're full. Small bags aren't much of a problem unless you overfill them.

Offline The Quiet Man

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 11:50:30 AM »
I use this one http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Sealer-Model-KF-150CST-Storage/dp/B003HO30TE/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1336153633&sr=1-1. Pricey but works very well for mylar bags. 2 heat settings, I need to use high setting for mylar. I guess low setting is good for plastic bags or such, but never tried.

Offline RandomSerenity

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • My crummy little blog journal
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 08:38:30 PM »
I use my flat iron too, after using the food saver to air remove and oxy absorbers. (ironically, my one friend who is actually with moveon.org gave me the flat iron...)

Offline gundog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • It's the dog....not the gun.
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 01:58:52 PM »
I use a hair straightener.....10 bucks at the local drug store.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 07:59:32 PM »
I used an iron and a metal level. Worked great!

I now have a food saver. It works better!

Offline Missed Me

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 08:09:55 PM »
My brother bought a commercial sealer that to me didn't hold up very long. Stopped working properly after couple hundred seals. Also hard to handle for buckets. Iron with a 2x4 works best. Much easier to ensure there are no unsealed parts(Thicker sealed area) I was trying to seal as close to the food as possible. If you use the proper amount of O2 absorbers its not an issue.