Author Topic: Do I need a case trimmer?  (Read 9546 times)

Offline sukivel

• Prepper
Do I need a case trimmer?
« on: February 17, 2012, 07:35:37 AM »
My question is how often will I need a case trimmer?

I'm fairly new to reloading, but have been collecting equipment and studying for a while now. I'm looking at buying a Rock Chucker Supreme kit or the Lyman Crusher 2 kit. The only big difference between these two kits is the Lyman case trimmer for basically $30 more.

Also, any thoughts on RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme vs. Lyman Crusher 2?

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
Re: Do I need a case trimmer?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 09:42:30 AM »
If you can afford it, get the case trimmer. I've been making do without one, but it takes up extra time.  Also, with most semi-auto handguns (among others) headspace on the case mouth, so proper case length is more critical. All I reload right now is .38 and .300 Win Mag, and they headspace on the rim and the belt, respectively. Even with that, I still end up using a file or sanding block to knock a few thousanths off of a lot of them to get them closer to spec. A case trimmer is high on my list.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 09:46:56 AM »
What calibers are you planning on reloading?

Offline sukivel

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:52:37 AM »
I will be reloading .243, .308, 6.5 jap. 7.7 jap. 44 mag, .30-06, .303 british, .357 mag...probably not much 9mm or .45, but eventually.

I don't shoot alot, but I do have several calibers to shoot.

Thanks for the replies!!

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 11:14:13 AM »
The rifle cartridges will probably need them (especially those that run higher pressures)
Handgun... I have never trimmed a case and .45 ACP actually get shorter with repeated firings.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 04:43:08 PM »
My 243 really extrudes the brass, and I mean alot. I have to trim my 243 cases every other loading.
Eventually they get thin and split.
In my experience I can tell you that some calibers need trimming more often than others.

Offline phils70

• Prepper
  • Zone 8b. Where we wear shorts at Christmas.
    • Self Sufficient in the Suburbs
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 08:44:56 PM »
You will need a case trimmer to make safe and accurate handloads.  If a piece of brass is longer than spec it should be trimmed to within spec.  As others have mentioned, every caliber and firearm is different.  I have two 1917 Enfields and one stretches cases worse than the other. 
As for RCBS vs Lyman, I own the RCBS RC and love it.  However, most of my single stage rifle loads are done on a cheap Lee, mounted on a board and clamped to the tailgate at the range.
How do you like the 6.5 Jap?  Looks kinda cool in the loading manuals.

Offline sukivel

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 04:19:48 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I have decided to get the Lyman kit that includes the case trimmer. Now I just need to decide if I want the Crusher, or T Mag, since I won't be doing any case forming.

I love the 6.5 Jap cartridge. Pre handloading it sucks because of price and availability, but other than that I like everything about it. It would be cool to be able to get it in a modern rifle, but the Type 38 would lose out on nostalgia. The 6.5 was my first in my quest to obtain all of the main WW2 rifles, and so far my favorite. Oh in case you don't know there are 2 6.5 Japs, the Type 38 Arisaka and Type I, which is uh...odd at best. Type 38's(and Type 99 in 7.7 Jap) can be picked up reasonable, and are great bargains, in my opinion.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 04:34:05 PM »

+1 on not trimming for handgun calibers.

Even the hottest .357mag loads seem to split the case before they need trimming.  In that case I do sometimes trim down to .38spl, but moderate .38 loaded cases seem to last forever - so there's not much point, aside from being obsessively frugal.

Offline sukivel

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 12:11:50 AM »
I measured some of my cases and the once fired are already pushing the max case length. I am glad I got the Lyman trimmer.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 09:32:01 AM »
I measured some of my cases and the once fired are already pushing the max case length. I am glad I got the Lyman trimmer.

In a pistol caliber?  If so which, that's surprising.

Offline sukivel

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 05:10:51 PM »
Oh no...7.7 Jap with Privi brass loaded by Hornady.

Offline Duc1

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 09:02:11 PM »
Yes, you will need a trimmer if you shoot rifle cartridges a lot.  Some people are cheap and or lazy so they skip this step, and they claim they never had a problem, which may be true, but if can be very import under certain circumstances and it's really not that hard to do.  I've seen some cartridges that needed trimming every two to three times (rare) and I have a .308 that rarely needs trimming.  All firearms are different and you should get in the habit of spot checking fired cases.