Author Topic: Kerosene Lamp info wanted please  (Read 17287 times)

Offline Montag 451

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Kerosene Lamp info wanted please
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2017, 10:20:07 AM »
Ok, know this is a lamp thread, but the subject was raised about unvented flame heating of a living space.
I own several kerosene heaters for emergency use, have used them a lot in the past, and have had training on
proper use, and repair of these heaters. They are perfectly safe when used *as directed*, and with adequate ventilation.
Did a little looking around for online information on the subject, here is a pretty good article on Kerosene heaters use...

http://www.iii.org/article/kerosene-heater-safety

A few excerpts from the article regarding Oxygen depletion and Carbon Monoxide production:

"Kerosene heaters consume oxygen as they burn. If they are operated in a small room or in an inadequately ventilated area, oxygen in the air could be reduced to a dangerous level. Reduced oxygen supply could lead to incomplete combustion of fuel and the production of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas which in sufficient concentrations, or if breathed over a period of time, can kill without warning." 

"The real danger is that misuse of kerosene heaters could replace room oxygen with carbon monoxide and lead to death by asphyxiation.
Therefore, it's important to have adequate ventilation to other rooms, and a source of fresh, outside air such as a window or door open at least one inch whenever you're using a kerosene heater."

This information appllies to *ANY* unvented heating device, be it kerosene, natural gas, propane, unvented gas fireplace, buddy heater, etc, etc...

Not trying to scare anyone out of using these appliances, just want everyone to understand how to properly use them. Read the directions that come with
the appliance. Have a working C.O. detector. Keep the appliance in good condition, and use common sense.

I've been in the HVAC buisness for 30+ years, and have been to many, many homes where I found C.O. present for a great variety of reasons.
Thats my 2 cents lol, and best wishes y'all  8)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2017, 10:27:04 AM »
Thanks for the info

Offline Citizen Zero

• Senior Survivalist
  • Rural Dweller
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2017, 09:53:39 PM »
Just looked at the lamp oil that I have and it says Paraffin Lamp Oil.  ;D

Do make sure that the fuel is marked "100% Pure" paraffin. The fuel that I stocked up on way back when (before it being $17/gal) was marked very clearly that it was "100% paraffin". The only downfall is that if it is stored in an outbuilding that it will gel faster than diesel when the temps drop, the easy fix is to bring it into the house for a few hours to re-liquify. We have been using paraffin that has been stored in an outbuilding for more than ten years with no problems whatsoever.

For the Aladdin lamps it is the heat that is produced to excite the mantle to produce light (similar to Coleman propane mantle lanterns), not necessarily the flame itself (flame through mantle is bad!). Traditional wick lamps and mantle lamps are two very different animals.

Yes, I'll have to admit the paraffin is expensive, but it works. A single fill of a Genie III fount will provide almost 24 hours of constant light and heat for a room (turned down to half mast even longer), if set right they also burn very cleanly at the same time in high or low.

If you are going to use something like the Aladdin lamps for your preps, use them in normal life as well to make sure that you have a good feeling when it comes to running them. We regularly use them for ambiance even when the power is not out ;-)

Again, just my $.02 ;-)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 10:05:19 PM by Citizen Zero »

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2017, 06:16:23 AM »
Also, be mindful that altitude is a consideration for some lamps to run at their best. We're at 4000 ft so we're running the high altitude chimneys.  They're just taller and help create a better draft as I understand it. Not totally sure of the theory behind it,  but our random sooting issues went away after we put the taller chimneys on.

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2017, 09:29:18 AM »
Check out WT Kirkman.  http://www.lanternnet.com/  I have had excellent service from them.

Offline Bosham

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2018, 06:52:36 AM »
Just be sure to have plenty of cross ventilation !!!!!

Not long after they came out, Suffolk County banned kerosene heaters that became popular back during the 1970's oil crisis, because people bought into the "clean burning" advertising and thought they could use them safely indoors during cold weather. While those kerosene heaters didn't make visible smoke, they still made plenty of carbon monoxide.

We used Aladdins for cabin lights on the boats, and I collected antique kero lamps for many years. However, I stopped using all my kero lamps with oil. Even with ventilation, I'd get head aches from the fumes, which are the early signs of kerosene/lamp oil poisoning.

Another reason I stopped using them was that most of our power outages here happen in winter when opening windows to get good ventilation wastes heat. And in summer, the oil lamps just made the indoors that much hotter.

Offline Ralph

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #66 on: Yesterday at 09:57:44 AM »
Just a thought, you may want to get a CO detector for safety.  I bought a Big Buddy propane heater a while back.  Using 2 1# cylinders I tested it and no alarm.  When the cylinders were running low the alarm went off..  I do run kero lanterns now and then and the CO alarm has never gone off with those, but that CO alarm is some safety insurance.

Offline Carver

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #67 on: Yesterday at 11:43:18 AM »
I have a dozen lamps and most are filled with lamp oil and it has evaporated in one of them. Why just that one?

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #68 on: Yesterday at 03:17:15 PM »
Strange. No idea

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #69 on: Yesterday at 07:04:40 PM »
I have a dozen lamps and most are filled with lamp oil and it has evaporated in one of them. Why just that one?

Yeah strange. I have several lamps I keep in my garage all filled with oil and several containers of lamp oil. I've never noticed any of them losing oil or getting thick. Are you sure the one had lamp oil in it and not something else?

Offline Carver

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #70 on: Yesterday at 07:31:37 PM »
Same fuel in all. No evaporation smell, but then we only use odorless paraffin. I'll fill it up and watch it. I wouldn't think the wick would be any different than the others. Sort of makes me think I shouldn't keep them filled, but that makes them useless when you need them.

Offline Carver

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #71 on: Yesterday at 08:13:08 PM »
I just checked all my lamps and this particular one now nearly empty, the wick is dangling clear of the fuel. All the others are topped up. The difference between this lamp and the others is that, all are antiques, this one has a smaller diameter bowl, about 3.5 inches but the reservoir goes down the stem to the base. Standard top, very odd, never tipped over. Just a curiosity. Thanks for the replies.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #72 on: Yesterday at 08:30:15 PM »
Does the reservoir smell like the others?

Offline Carver

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #73 on: Today at 07:06:45 AM »
Obviously this isn't a crucial situation; the trivial nature of my post is simply that it was my first post and had nothing definite in mind, just wanted to get onboard. Nevertheless the lamp is an oddity. I have been on this forum previously several years ago and terminated my account as it was taking too much of my time. But I think it was here that I learned about lamp oil, all this time I had been using kerosene in both the outdoor lanterns and the indoor lamps. Wife couldn't allow them for the smell, but now with lamp oil all is good. So, thanks.