Author Topic: 5.56 shortage?  (Read 10758 times)

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
5.56 shortage?
« on: February 23, 2012, 11:27:13 AM »
My buddy with an FFL tried to buy some Mil-surplus 5.56 and was told by the distributor that he was out and couldn't get anymore, and that in fact all .223 and 5.56 was in short supply.  Does this jive with what anyone else is hearing?

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: 5.56 shortage?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 11:35:38 AM »
I am planning on stopping by the local shop in the next day or two... I will check on this.

From what I have seen recently... 5.56 and .223 are just about the only rounds that aren't in short supply....

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 12:04:21 PM »
Seems like everyone I know now has an AR which means more buyers of 223. There still some good deals out there. It may get crazy when the 2012 election gets closer like it did in 2008.

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 01:32:13 PM »
Around me 5.56 and .223 are everywhere in bulk quantities.  It just popped up overnight.  It had been boxes of 20, 50, 100 and now it is ammo cans and case lots everywhere.  Maybe the zombie hoards are just over the boarder and I hadn't heard about it yet?

Offline Mr. Red Beard (UKtheBUNNY)

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Probably doing it wrong
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 02:11:55 PM »
The word I'm getting from the locals is that the only shortages are coming from specific brands like black hills ammo.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 02:26:44 PM »
The word I'm getting from the locals is that the only shortages are coming from specific brands like black hills ammo.
Perhaps the MK 262 Mod 1 ammo they make is one reason.  I think that is the 77 grain open tip match that is all the rage for the 5.56 designated marksman rifles and the MK 12 rifle the special ops types are digging these days.

This ammo and accuratized ARs seem to be seen as growing in importance as papers and articles have recognized the increased engagement distances in Afghanistan and the restrictions on crew served weapons.  Reference this article among many:
http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/marksmanship-matters/

Offline Duc1

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 09:12:37 PM »
Not at all.  It seems to be in abundant supply here in the Midwest.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 11:16:49 PM »
I was told that Federal's lot of M855 was rejected by the military, some of it tested out 25 fps slower than spec.  Because it is classified "sub par" or "seconds" Federal was able to sell it on the open market.  This is all the XM855 in 420 round ammo cans on stripper clips.  Down here you can buy it at Academy Sporting Goods for $159.95, or even at some local WallyWorld's.

I wonder if Federal didn't download it a hair on purpose, just to be able to sell it on the open market?

Must have been a HUGE lot!

~TG

Offline SuperDuty

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 09:55:34 AM »
I'm just outside of KC, and I haven't seen .223 ammo at Wal-Mart (I know...) since before Christmas.  I got my first AR in October and was buying ammo every two weeks, on payday.  Since Christmas, every two weeks when I check, that spot on the shelves is bare.  There seems to be plenty of other ammo though.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 10:00:41 AM »
I was told that Federal's lot of M855 was rejected by the military, some of it tested out 25 fps slower than spec.  Because it is classified "sub par" or "seconds" Federal was able to sell it on the open market.  This is all the XM855 in 420 round ammo cans on stripper clips.  Down here you can buy it at Academy Sporting Goods for $159.95, or even at some local WallyWorld's.

I wonder if Federal didn't download it a hair on purpose, just to be able to sell it on the open market?

Must have been a HUGE lot!

~TG

I sincerely doubt that.  If a lot was rejected, it's a major issue.  It means supply lines are messed up and someone is scrambling to fill needs.  Federal may also have been fined for it.  This is going to eat up any profits that may have been realized for missing a delivery date.

The military wants any of it's consumables in a timely, scheduled manner.   Literally, lives may be at stake at any given time.

The Professor

Offline Outdoorfury

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Si vis pacem para bellum
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 10:06:06 AM »
My buddy with an FFL tried to buy some Mil-surplus 5.56 and was told by the distributor that he was out and couldn't get anymore, and that in fact all .223 and 5.56 was in short supply.  Does this jive with what anyone else is hearing?
I heard the same thing from a friend of a friend who is an ammo dealer at gun shows. Also local gunshops confirm. Said everything was hard to get.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 10:30:14 AM »
Do you guys think this is just a supply/demand issue with people hoarding ammo again like before the last election?

~TG

Offline Outdoorfury

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Si vis pacem para bellum
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 02:59:49 PM »
Do you guys think this is just a supply/demand issue with people hoarding ammo again like before the last election?

~TG

I heard that the military is buying up all that they can, thus making manufacturers produce more of it and less of the other stuff plus going up against the election.

Just the buzz

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 04:01:31 PM »
Do you guys think this is just a supply/demand issue with people hoarding prudently purchasing extra ammo again like before the last election?

~TG
Fixed it for you.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 06:04:43 PM »
I was amazed when I visited a Super-WalMart recently and the ammo shelves were pretty freakin' sparce on all counts. 9mm was completely gone and the rest were going to be gone soon.

There were two guys there at the time I came by and they were asking the counter guy when more would be coming in.

I hope they restock soon!

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 09:16:06 PM »
Fixed it for you.

Thank you Tex!  I need folks watchin' out for me.  There's times my choice of wurds ain't very good.   

I best get back to prudently purchasing extra toilet paper while it's on sale. 

~TG

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 09:43:20 AM »
I heard about this shortage thing last nite. So I checked.....Nope, all mine is still there.
Sorry, I just had to say that. ;D
I called my local class3 guy. Like usual, it's just the ebb and flow of election year paranoia driving people's spending habits, and lowering inventory.
Think back, remember??
Then there's all the other hype being driven into folk's heads.
Like with food storage, you should try to keep at a certain level of personal well being, and maintain it as best you can. :)

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 12:10:18 PM »
Stopping by wally world tomorrow so I will check on their supply.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 08:30:43 PM »
Okay guys... 

I'm standing at my local Hickville WalMart, and it looks fairly well stocked.  Still see the 420 rnd ammo cans of M855's on stripper clips in the case.  There's even boxes of 45 gr JHP I've not seen before.  Several thousand rounds of 9 mm, too. 

With all the cut back in staff, there isn't anyone working the department to ask, though.  There wasn't even a door greeter tonight.

My first thoughts are that the country folks here aren't clammering to buy ammo 'cuz they already have 'nuff.   Second thought is AmmoToGo is just down the road.

~TG

Offline GreyWolf

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 10:35:40 AM »
Is it possible the amount of business a certain WalMart does in ammo affects their stock? Maybe the high traffic Walmarts or the stores in the more rural areas stock more ammo than the urban or suburban areas.

Offline YoungGunsPrepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 11:31:40 AM »
The walmart around my area has been very bare on any and all ammo for some time now. I am still having luck at the local gunshows. Picked up 1000 rounds of .223 for $180 and 500 rounds of .45ACP for $150. To me the gunshows have seemed to be the best and cheapest place to find ammo.

Offline Black Helmet

• Prepper
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 08:47:14 PM »
At my local Wallyworld, while the shelves aren't empty, I've found it curious that .45ACP, 9mm and .223 has been in either short supply or not in stock. A few weeks ago I went to Sportsmens Warehouse to get some small pistol primers and they had NONE. Plenty of rifle and mag pistol primers. I called them back the other day to check their stock and the salesman said "Yep we got several boxes in today. Don't have a heart attack but they're first come, first serve."

Seems to me like 2008 is going to repeat itself

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 09:09:10 PM »
Seems to me like 2008 is going to repeat itself
Yep.

nelson96

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 09:26:16 PM »
I don't ever check Wal-Mart for ammo, do they have good prices and offer large quantities?

Personally speaking I don't buy any ammo (except specialized hunting rounds) in quantities less than 500.  I usually wait until it's on sale and buy in 1000 lot quantities (usually $300/1000 for 5.56).  My local Cabela's has massive quantities of .40, .45, 9MM, .223, .308, etc. so no shortage here.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 01:33:03 PM »
Was at the local Crossroads of the West show on Saturday. 
5.56 was plentiful.  I saw a lot of people with it and just about every vendor selling ammo had some.
They even had BL(c)2 powder in 1 lb and 8 lbs kegs (I load the 5.56 rounds with it). In the past BL(c)2 was really hard to find.