Author Topic: Sling  (Read 2903 times)

Offline infobomber

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
Sling
« on: April 01, 2009, 07:44:36 PM »
Very simple

for my project I used 2 lengths of rawhide and a small patch of leather. 

one length maybe half your height or so, and the other should be a good 8 inches or so longer. 
punch holes in the patch of leather, push the raw hide through and knot the ends so it wont come out. 

now take the longer of the two straps and wrap it around your hand, hold the other strap between your thumb and fore finger.  put the object to be thrown in the strap and use centrifigual force to keep in in place as you spin it.  when it is time to release let go of the shorter strap. The longer strap around the hand will keep you from throwing the sling. 

thats pretty much it. Im sure you can improvize the materials from your kit if need be.  If you are in some place with a lack of rocks like mississippi then things like batteries make good ammo.  The spin up and release is similar to the boleadoras mentioned in another topic, you should with practice be able to do it in a quick fluid motion.

once again my materials were salvaged.  One good source for nice leather are saddle companies, check for them in your area and inspect their dumpsters, you can find scraps that are very useful for sheaths and whatever else you can imagine.  (ot but you can use leather for gaskets on your vehicle if need be)

Offline NickyTheHeel

• Senior Survivalist
    • Fr33agents (libertarian website)
Re: Sling
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 08:03:42 PM »
How's your accuracy with it?  The problems I could imagine from using a sling would be that (and these are just my perceptions) it would be tough to master, you'd need lots of room, it would be noisy as you were "winding up" and you could not use it from a prone position.

Offline infobomber

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 08:57:57 PM »
How's your accuracy with it?  The problems I could imagine from using a sling would be that (and these are just my perceptions) it would be tough to master, you'd need lots of room, it would be noisy as you were "winding up" and you could not use it from a prone position.

I havent made one in a while, and never tried it against a small target. But i could hit a barn from 100 yards :)  .   Im pretty sure if you practiced with it you could time the release and hit a target at a good range.  It might be tough to master, but the ammo (rocks) are cheap. and if you have the room to practice then you are doing good.  As far as winding up, I may not have been specific about it, but if you can get the memory to do it in one motion then the noise is not an issue.  OTW spinning it around does not make that much of a sound, of cours this will all depend on the materials and the ammo being used and thier aerodynamic properties.  From prone, well I guess you could get it spun up over head, might be worth practicing before hand cause youd be working from the elbow mainly and not the shoulder.  In that case the range and power would be down. 

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 01:31:53 PM »
The small el-cheapo I had was stolen, time to make one.

Here's a good site for slings:

www.slinging.org