Author Topic: Mineral oil on eggs for extended storage in shell?  (Read 6898 times)

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
Mineral oil on eggs for extended storage in shell?
« on: February 24, 2012, 09:07:32 AM »
The Mrs. and I were watching that Doomsday show the other night and a gal was storing eggs in a cool dry place for months by coating them with mineral oil. Has anyone done this?

Thanks
Making the best of the DASH.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Mineral oil on eggs for extended storage in shell?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:23:14 AM »
there was a thread some time ago about preserving eggs, and the various methods worth using.  lemme see if I can find it

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=6478.0 is where it was discussed.  I am pretty sure I saw some other methods discussed as well, but cannot find it. sorry.
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 09:27:16 AM »
It is an old timey method.
http://greenlivingqa.com/content/mineral-oil-eggs

When I was up north, in October I would start keeping my chicken eggs in the bottom 2 drawers of the fridge by the hundreds which generally lasted me until they started laying again. I knew that some of the eggs you get from the stores could be up to 7 months old. I have issues with the mineral oil due to it being a petroleum product. I used nothing on the eggs I stored.

These are other old time ways.
"Store the eggs in a finely ground preservative such as salt, bran, or an equal mix of finely ground charcoal and dry bran or finely ground oats.  You can also store them in finely ground plaster of Paris, but that’s not exactly something that I plan on having on hand regularly.  You can store the eggs layer upon layer, so long as you they don’t touch each other, metal, or wood.  Be sure you have enough finely ground preservative to pack them in.  (You can feed the salt and bran to the cattle afterwards.)"

I am too CHICKEN to try this.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never tasted store bought meat until I was 17"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 09:37:14 AM »
I also wouldn't do this due to the toxic possibilities fresh laid have a shelf life of 8/10 weeks so it's worth if at all humanly possible to keep two or three hens.. Tell you what I wouldn't eat that ladies deviled eggs.. I also wouldn't doubt the store selling ancient eggs..
"We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.

We are monkeys with money and guns."
-Tom Waits

http://www.youtube.com/ColdCreekHomestead
Lot's of shotty taken videos on here but they get a point across now and then!

www.ColdCreekHomestead.com
AKC Great Pyrennes Livestock Guardians
Ancona Ducks
Splash Jersey Giant chickens
And so much more!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cold-Creek-Homestead/198375243588171
This is my above sights Facebook page, Lots of useless info but if you look hard enough ya may like us ;)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 09:58:50 AM »
I tried it once when there was a very excellent buy on eggs... didn't come even close to storing them for the 7 months touted (I think it was maybe 3 months), but it did slow down the evaporation through the shells and I was able to use all the eggs with no problems. I didn't notice any deterioration in taste, either -- although I can imagine that might be the case for eggs stored longer than I did.

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never tasted store bought meat until I was 17"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 10:28:29 AM »
I tried it once when there was a very excellent buy on eggs... didn't come even close to storing them for the 7 months touted (I think it was maybe 3 months so if you have the ability to find someone selling fresh eggs you wouldn't need to slather them in a not food safe oil as three months is just about the shelf life for freshly laid, I sure this could be a challenge if you live in a big city but an add on craigslist usually does the trick), but it did slow down the evaporation through the shells and I was able to use all the eggs with no problems. I didn't notice any deterioration in taste, either store bought eggs would have to have a taste to loose it ;D-- although I can imagine that might be the case for eggs stored longer than I did.
"We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.

We are monkeys with money and guns."
-Tom Waits

http://www.youtube.com/ColdCreekHomestead
Lot's of shotty taken videos on here but they get a point across now and then!

www.ColdCreekHomestead.com
AKC Great Pyrennes Livestock Guardians
Ancona Ducks
Splash Jersey Giant chickens
And so much more!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cold-Creek-Homestead/198375243588171
This is my above sights Facebook page, Lots of useless info but if you look hard enough ya may like us ;)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 01:34:27 PM »
I remember trying this because of learning about it in a book about raising chickens. I had bought a copy of the Storey Guide to Raising Chickens (the previous edition, I think). In the book, as well as giving lots of good information about raising and caring for chickens, there was an entire section on storing eggs for when the chickens weren't laying. I recall investigating home-dehydration of eggs, etc., too.

We fully hope to raise our own chickens once we get settled, so hopefully we'll be able to keep ourselves in home-grown eggs after that.

@FSW: Good one about the lack of taste in grocery store eggs :D

My husband's uncle was visiting us last year about this time (from Germany) and was quite surprised at the anemic look of the pale yellow yolks in the eggs we had from the stores.

{looking forward to having our own fresh eggs!}

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're still waiting but we're READY!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 02:14:37 PM »
A friend was over yesterday and asked this very thing having seen the Doomsday episode. My response was "No I absolutely wouldn't try this using store bought eggs",  :P - this could be too scary considering the past egg contamination scare and since she has little ones.

We are far from any general farming communities but you can find some people who sell fresh eggs if you're willing to put the effort into it. And as a side note most of the "organic" eggs we here in the Denver area grocery stores is just barely considered organic.  Here's a link to a good website about egg brands if anyone is interested  HERE.  If I were to try this (but I can't due to the risk with my immune system) I would use only my chickens freshest eggs.  I always just freeze my excess eggs and that works well for baking and scrambling.
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my GOAT already thinks I am.  ~Author Unknown

America will never be destroyed from outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed GOATS." Abraham  Lincoln

DEV being nice... sorta goes along with GOATS howling, babies bursting into tears, birds suddenly becoming silent, and an ominous greenish lighting spreading across the landscape...

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 09:28:55 PM »
I didn't notice any deterioration in taste either, store bought eggs would have to have a taste to loose it

Good one, which made me think of a good story . . .

I was raised as a hill billy (my grandma calls us "mountain williams") and my mom and grandma worked together to put up everything they could grow in a garden or on a tree.  We never bought bread (EVER) and I can remember trading sandwiches in school so I could have some of that nice pasty soft Wonder Bread.  We milked our own cows and skimmed the cream off to make our own butter (us kids loved making butter).  We also raised our own chickens and I can remember getting so tired of those fresh eggs and once told my mom "I hate these eggs, they taste too much like chickens".

Well my family raises our own beef and pork, we raise chickens for the eggs, and as an adult I love that chicken taste.  We don't exclusively make our own bread (very little in fact) and we don't can fruits and vegetables very much either.  I would sure love to raise my family like I was raised, but life choices won't allow it right now.  I feel like a failure at times, but we'll get there.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline sicone

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 10:51:59 PM »
I remembered reading an article on motherearth news a few years ago about a controlled egg storage study. Heres the link   http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1977-11-01/Fresh-Eggs.aspx I have eaten eggs about a month past exp with no problems

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 11:22:30 PM »
very interesting study, sicone... thanks for sharing.

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 01:17:59 AM »
I'm sure I read that in submarines in WW2 they kept eggs dipped in wax  for weeks without refrigeration.
I just went about 5 pages into a search but couldn't find anything.
The theory (as with mineral oil) is that the shell is porous, if you seal it from air exposure, it will keep.
"The best weapon you have is between your ears"

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 09:06:41 AM »
I'm sure I read that in submarines in WW2 they kept eggs dipped in wax  for weeks without refrigeration.

Yes, that was method that people used. Not sure if subs did, but that was not uncommon then. People on the wagon trains, mule packers and gold miners used to keep them in oatmeal.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline digdug18

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 06:42:26 AM »
Have you considered pickling your eggs? It has a proven track history.

http://kuntzfamily.com/recipes/pickled_eggs.shtml

Offline Zimmy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 07:34:52 PM »
My grandmother used to keep eggs accumulating for up to three months waiting for the right hen to get broody for the right eggs.  This way she promoted getting more of whatever chicken trait she prefered.  Also guinea eggs were stored this way for good broody chicken hens.  I don't think we ever ate them (she might have slipped them in from time to time).

She kept them in the crisper section of the fridge and had great success getting them to hatch.  They were generally stored in egg cartons if I remember right.

Offline rhiannon.douglas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 09:24:56 PM »
That was a great article sicone, thanks for the link!

Joe is currently working on chicken housing, so this is a great thread to have come accross. With the amount of people who want eggs when we have the chickens I don't know how much storing we will be doing.
-I'm not crazy cos I take the right pills everyday-

-laugh now, you're not eating my supplies-