Author Topic: *headdesk* succumbed again  (Read 5792 times)

Offline BadgerAngel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do not get between Badger & her coffee *snarl*
*headdesk* succumbed again
« on: May 23, 2012, 10:56:20 AM »
I don't understand why I keep doing this.  I know that it's important to look to the future, to be an ant instead of a grasshopper, and I get started on everything, and then something happens and I get turned right around backwards all over again.

I was doing really well last fall, had started trying to figure out how to do a back porch garden and had started investing in precious metals and copy canning, had asked for a dehydrator for Christmas (didn't get it)  and wanted to learn how to do all of these things ---

and now here it is May, almost June, and I haven't even logged in to this forum since probably November. 

I just don't understand why, when in my heart I really am an ant, I have contingency plans for my contingency plans, I keep getting pulled away and turned around and oh shiny, look at this and that.

I do not comprehend it at all.  Does anyone have any insight or advice?

(Mods feel free to move this thread if necessary.)

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
Re: *headdesk* succumbed again
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 01:03:40 PM »
We all have busy lives, and it's very easy to prioritize the want or need of the moment over our long term condition, health, and safety.  It takes time to set up healthy and lasting habits that become a part of your character long term.  For many people it takes several tries.

Think of it like this.  Many people want to loose weight, gain endurance, and get healthier.  But there are always demands on our times.  Sometimes people go through a rough patch and have slide-backs... but as long as you stick with it in the long term, most folks can eventually get the weight off.

The important thing is to keep making the choice to learn, and prepare over and over again, even if you find yourself having made mistakes.

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 01:46:04 PM »
Small steps. 
No one can be can be come the ultimate prepper in a day, week, or year.  Most of us have been at it for, dare I say, years.  And maybe in another 10 or 20 years, I might have this prepper thing dialed in.   There will always be technical difficulties of life that get in the way ( as well as pretty, shiny things.) 

Make your plan, set goals, prioritize what you want/need to do first and break it down into manageable pieces.  Prepping is not just about getting things, knowledge and skills are just as important if not more so.  A good class on organization and planning may help you get on your way.  Organizing and planning is a very underrated skill. 

It will take time to make prepping a habit.  At least you have recognized the problem and are looking for help.  You are way ahead of any grasshopper. 

Offline BadgerAngel

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 02:10:01 PM »
Thank you both very kindly for your replies. 
*sigh*
I have to start -- not quite all over again, we still have the investments!  But copycanning, etc., I have to start over again. 
At least I know where to start, and I have the old podcasts to fall back on to remind me where to start over.  :)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 02:32:46 PM »
Don't beat yourself up... just the awareness and knowledge that you have puts you way ahead of the majority of the populace. Keep on keeping on.

Offline KellyAnn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 03:23:10 PM »
Though it might be sacrilege to say it here, you don't have to be active in the forum to be active as a prepper (or even just a prepared person).
Hanging around in the forum takes time, and for me at least, I've got more free time in the late fall & winter.
In the spring and summer I'd much rather be outside than sat in front of a computer (and yes I realize the irony of being sat in front of a computer now).

Personally, I found taking advantage of sales & coupons to be more effective at building up my stores than copy canning (sacrilege again!!)
But that's probably be cause I love a bargain, and hate buying two of something at full price.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 04:00:05 PM »
Maybe it is something you are drawn to doing, but it is not a lifestyle for you? You do not HAVE to make it  lifestyle, but you might get sidetracked as it is something which you 'have to go out of your way to do'?

Cedar - who is not saying that is wrong either

Offline BadgerAngel

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 06:32:26 PM »
Thanks y'all.

I am not a coupon person.  I just can't make it work for me.  Just not organized enough, I suppose.  But I think it's awesome that others can make it work. 

I think a big part of it is that I can't get any support.  I was making progress on getting our debt paid down, but then something -- can't even remember what, now -- happened and knocked us backwards again. 

Also, well, I don't want to start huge preps here just to have to move them in six to eight months.  But I feel like I need to do something, and I feel that I've wasted the last six months.

*sigh.*  Cedar, the thing is I want it to be a lifestyle, I really do.  A sane, prepared lifestyle is a good thing. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 08:13:56 PM »
*sigh.*  Cedar, the thing is I want it to be a lifestyle, I really do.  A sane, prepared lifestyle is a good thing.

The trick is... and lot of people think I am a 'prepper'. I am not. I have chosen to be a homesteader.. and there are many ways and sizes of homesteading. Prepping and homesteading overlap pretty well sometimes. So there are many ways and sizes of prepping as well. The trick is... you don't stress about it, you don't get in a haste about it, you work with the seasons, you work on three projects at a time as time, weather and funds allow. You try to do a 5 minute project every day. You don't bet yourself up about it if you don't. Try to do 10 minutes the next day. It really is quite amazing what you can get done in 5 minutes. REALLY! And soon that 5 minutes turns into a habit.. and then soon that 5 minutes you don't even look at the clock anymore and it is an hour later. It just comes. You don't need to get obsessive over it.

There is no real wrong way. What works in your garden might not work for me. There are 100 ways to do something. What works for you? Don't overwhelm yourself. Or you WILL burn out. For pity's sake, so do not have a 3,500 sf garden with 166 tomatoes in it if you only have a couple years of gardening under your belt. Don't start out with 100 chickens to butcher. Don't can 150 pounds of peaches in one day.

What is it that you want out of this lifestyle? There will be failures, but rack it up as a learning experience, so it is not a complete loss. It is the first baby steps which are the hardest. Remember, start with the 5 minutes a day and get it to be a routine.

Even when I am teaching people to can, I only tell them to do strawberry jam, applesauce and pickles the first year. It keeps it fun, doesn't burn people out. They get that awesome feeling of making and storing your own foods for your family.

Even now, with at least 16 years of "officially living this lifestyle", I still like to add 1-2 new things a year to learn. For instance this year, it was mushrooms for me. It keeps it fresh and new. Some things I drop, like currently I do not have cattle or milk goats.

If you want the lifestyle it can be yours. You have support here, it doesn't matter if you do not have it outside of here. Be your own IRL support person.. My blood family does not understand my lifestyle, look down their noses at me and berate me for it. (Although a couple months ago my brother commented to his wife, that 'maybe Cedar has it right after all") . My ex's did not at first, but when they found out that it saved lot of money and the food was better, they were all into it. One of my ex's and his son were spending $1,200 a month on groceries. After we were doing my pantry and cooking style, we were down to $400/mo. His son I felt I won over when we moved to my farm and he complained I had not set up the compost yet within a week of moving there. When we first met, he SOOOOOO did not want to use the composter at all.

People hate change for good or bad. They like a constant comfortable routine. Getting family and kids on board cannot be a huge change in lifestyle or food. But start with something good, quick and easy like teaching them to make their own "Hershey's Syrup". At this point WHO CARES IF IT IS JUNK FOOD!!! Then something like Pumpkin-Cranberry muffins fresh out of the oven for school breakfast (make the batter the night before - pour it into a 2qt pitcher with a pourspout - line the muffin tins the night before) as it will only take 15 mins to bake. Next time make Ham & Cheese muffins. Make NON-Scary foods. You can wait to make the Sunflower Seed Burgers for at least 6 months. I like starting with the foods as it opens their brain to a new lifestyle and there is instant gratification from the tastebuds. Then introduce the garden foods, the new eggs from the chickens and such. Rome was not built in a day.

Cedar

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
+1 Cedar... just saying.

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 11:37:16 AM »
Well, if you don't want to get together a bunch of "giant" preps, then don't.  Get together small ones.

If it's going to stay around for a while, you might start with prepperizing your car.  Make it a BOV bit by bit.  Start with simple vehicle preps like a window smasher / belt cutter, and a car first aid kit.  Get a shovel for mud and snow, make sure your tires (including the spare) are charged.  Get some road flairs and a blanket in there.  If you don't have netting, and can get it installed at a dealership go ahead and do that.

Make sure you have maps for your current location, and the one you'll be moving too (if you know where it is), and the road along the way.  That way if something happens before, during, or after the move, you have a better chance of recovering rout-wise.

Offline BadgerAngel

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
Baby steps.  Have decided that since I am still in the crappy apartment of crappiness, I am going to get three topsy-turvys: one for tomatoes, one for cukes, one for bell peppers.  Just one of each this year tokind of get an idea of the possible yield and not drown in produce.

Thank you all for the support.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 02:51:18 PM »
We all have busy lives, and it's very easy to prioritize the want or need of the moment over our long term condition, health, and safety.  It takes time to set up healthy and lasting habits that become a part of your character long term.  For many people it takes several tries.

+1

To me this sums how I feel perfectly.  Honestly I am still a good portion grasshopper.  To be a prepper or homesteader takes a concerted effort that many of us that have led the grasshopper lifestyle for so long find difficult to achieve.  We are still accustomed to the instant gratification lifestyle that we want a year of food stored up NOW and 6 months in savings NOW and an alternate means of energy production NOW.  It is easy to get discouraged until you realize that it doesn't usually happen now.  It takes time, effort, energy, focus, and more time. 

If you find yourself lapsing, that is okay, just try to continue from the last spot you left off.  Next thing you know you will be much more prepared than you ever thought.

Offline viking

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 09:35:56 PM »
You try to do a 5 minute project every day. You don't bet yourself up about it if you don't. Try to do 10 minutes the next day. It really is quite amazing what you can get done in 5 minutes. REALLY! And soon that 5 minutes turns into a habit.. and then soon that 5 minutes you don't even look at the clock anymore and it is an hour later. It just comes. You don't need to get obsessive over it.

There is no real wrong way. What works in your garden might not work for me.

Cedar
+1 Cedar You said everything and said it great!
My Ex wife didn't really understand prepping but when the lights when out when I was at work, Flashlights, candles, and radio were all easily available. and appreciated.

Offline Kate Change

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 12:34:38 PM »
It sounds like you have a good attitude about trying again.  The crappy apartment stinks when you are hearing about everyone's homesteads, but if you plan, you'll get there.  And none of us, I bet, are really done.  We have an acreage, now, but we have student loans and medical bills.  We've got some independence in place, but certainly not all of it.  But I guess that's OK.  Because we're going that way.  I think I've about 75% "turned" my husband.  When we paid off our car and creditcards and he realized how much more money he got to keep, we bought him the fancy technological toy he wanted and we didn't have to juggle to do it, he realized that if we had no student loans or medical bills, we'd be able to keep way more of our money and be able to do even more of what we wanted.
He teases me for being a "homesteader" and calls me a "farmer" (we have 3 acres, a farmer I am not.)  But he's smarter about money, at least.

It seems like, for everyone on here, their loved ones come around in different ways.  Do the preps that will matter most to you where you are now.  Someone else on here gave me the good advice to celebrate the small victories.