Author Topic: Men don't wear bras  (Read 61973 times)

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
Re: Men don't wear bras
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2012, 07:16:59 PM »
I am ALL woman, ancient, but still woman.  ;D

I think I may have to steal this quote and have it printed on a tee shirt!   :clap:

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2012, 07:55:19 PM »
If the Girls arnt happy MOMA aint happy :(

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2012, 08:16:21 PM »
The former aide that I had on my bus gave me a T-shirt for Christmas that read "I'm still hot. But, now it comes in flashes."  I LOVE IT!!  ;D

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2012, 08:17:14 PM »

You got that right!

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2012, 09:09:10 PM »
I am so glad I started this thread.   Archer knows I am female, and all my TSP friends have the same problems finding comfort.  See, we is prepping ;D

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2012, 09:10:35 PM »
I am so glad I started this thread.   Archer knows I am female, and all my TSP friends have the same problems finding comfort.  See, we is prepping ;D

i''m just going to sit here in the corner and hang my head in shame...

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2012, 09:13:04 PM »
Can't imagine why anyone would not know I'm an old lady,hehe

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2012, 09:16:52 PM »
Can't imagine why anyone would not know I'm an old lady,hehe
'cause i saw 'monkeyBOYf' and made a dumb assumption... even though i kinda sorta remember that you are a woman. i blame 14 days of work w/o a  day off.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2012, 09:39:31 PM »
good save archer. 

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2012, 05:37:52 AM »
For anyone who hasn't yet found one that works for them, I'd recommend Decent Exposures. The bras are made to order so size selection is far beyond what you'll find in retail stores, in fact, they even make in-between sizes. If the bra you purchase doesn't work they'll adjust it as needed for free within 2 months of purchase, up to and including totally remaking it. Pricing varies but mine have been around $35 including shipping.

Had a good experience with customer service; they seem to be a company that actually wants you to end up comfortable and happy. :) My only note of warning is that many of the bras are unlined by default, making the cups a single layer of fabric (think T-shirt material) so if you need it thicker than that either choose a lined option, get pockets, or otherwise specify the requirement in the order form. It looks like they have specific fabrics for firm support without underwires, and the option to use ribbing instead of elastic so there's nothing tight around your ribcage is also an interesting one to me.

Come to think of it, skills in sewing a comfortable bra could be in high demand if a long-term SHTF scenario caused an issue with retail stores. Either that or people could wear corsets again, as Cedar suggested. Those always did look comfy to me...er, the practical ones, that is. ;)

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2012, 05:40:59 AM »

I was reading all the complaints and I'm like... SRSLY. I have actual boobs over here. They're completely out of control (god bless my mother's genes) - AND since I'm not a total fatty, they don't seem to make bras that fit me correctly (they don't even make the right size) at Target/Ross/wherever. If Victorias Secret didn't exist, I would be the most miserable woman on the planet.

Thank you, SW! I've always avoided VS because of the lingerie image, but I'll have to go there and check them out. I have the exact same problem. I'm fairly skinny with a large chest. The last time I went bra shopping, I only found a few bras that were even in my size. It's like they assume that anyone who is a "D" cup or larger is also a 40 or larger.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2012, 08:43:27 AM »
For anyone who hasn't yet found one that works for them, I'd recommend Decent Exposures. The bras are made to order so size selection is far beyond what you'll find in retail stores, in fact, they even make in-between sizes. If the bra you purchase doesn't work they'll adjust it as needed for free within 2 months of purchase, up to and including totally remaking it. Pricing varies but mine have been around $35 including shipping.

Dainty - that is an amazing site.  I need to look at it more.  thank you!

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2012, 08:53:31 AM »

And if moma aint happy anit no body happy

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2012, 01:57:15 PM »
Thank you, SW! I've always avoided VS because of the lingerie image, but I'll have to go there and check them out. I have the exact same problem. I'm fairly skinny with a large chest. The last time I went bra shopping, I only found a few bras that were even in my size. It's like they assume that anyone who is a "D" cup or larger is also a 40 or larger.

Oh my gosh, you are missin' out, girl. Go there, and talk to a woman who works there. She will fit you to THEIR bras, and will help you find one that fits what you want in a bra. VS are THE BEST bras on the market as far as I'm concerned and I've tried almost all of them out there.

Check out  their Biofit, Body, and T-shirt bras. I own and worship all three. You're gonna have to get used to having a bra that fits correctly! ;)

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2012, 02:26:09 PM »
Hrmmm I'll have to check that out!

The only bra's I have ever worn that were comfortable are from Lane Bryant! Cacique (or something like that).

Being well endowed it really helps to be fitted properly and just because you were a 34 B in High School don't assume that you still are ten or many more years later.

I prefer to keep them off my belly and thus suffer only occasionally when for whatever reason the underwire's feel uncomfortable.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2012, 07:20:04 PM »
A 34 C would be a "dream" size for me! 
If only the men who drool over "the girls" had to carry them around for a while.  ::)  They might change their minds. (They are heavy!)

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2012, 06:01:31 AM »
Believe it or not, at 5'7" and 145 pounds, Victoria's Secret bras do not fit me. Every time I go in there with my two daughters (that's where they buy their bras), the saleswomen always try to get me to agree to be fitted, even though I tell them I wear a 34DDD and nothing they have will fit me. I usually get the "Well, the 36DD is a sister size to the 34 DDD" but I've tried them and the 36DD's are too big.

I buy Wacoal bras at the local department store. They are not cheap (usually $65 apiece), but I watch the clearance racks like a hawk. One time I found some 34DDD's and got them on clearance with a coupon for $15 each. I like the way they fit and they last a long time.

I also have to have underwires. A day without a well-fitting bra (or without a bra at all) would make me miserable.

Offline cranston

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2012, 07:00:34 AM »
Late to the thread, but I believe the male version is called a "Bro" or a "Manzier" ::)
-And no, I don't. :P

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2012, 10:00:54 AM »
Believe it or not, at 5'7" and 145 pounds, Victoria's Secret bras do not fit me. Every time I go in there with my two daughters (that's where they buy their bras), the saleswomen always try to get me to agree to be fitted, even though I tell them I wear a 34DDD and nothing they have will fit me. I usually get the "Well, the 36DD is a sister size to the 34 DDD" but I've tried them and the 36DD's are too big.

Poor thing. I'm a 34DD and VS is the only place out there that I don't have to devote an entire day to "shopping" at that supplies a great quality bra in my size. I <hate> going somewhere with the intention of buying a piece of clothing (particularly a bra), and spending more than 15 minutes trying to find something that is right for me. If I had no other choice, I guess I could hit the department stores weekly and hope for the best, but what a time suck.

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2012, 06:12:33 AM »
I guess I could hit the department stores weekly and hope for the best, but what a time suck.

Well, it's not, really, because I know which Wacoal styles fit me well and so I don't even bother to try them on anymore. When I see them on sale, I buy them.

I know it's been said that the Barbie doll shape is anatomically impossible, but I am pretty darn close.  ;)

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2012, 06:55:19 AM »
I would love to shop at VS; however I've been fitted multiple times there and not one bra has ever been comfortable for more then half a day.

Once my husband insisted he could help me find something in my size and comfortable and since he is the one who usually picks my clothes when we shop (because I don't really care) I figured what the heck...

After three hours and having tried on well over 60 bra's he was flabbergasted! I was grumpy as all heck and in tears of frustration. He decided a good meal was in order after that and has never gone bra shopping with me again.

I was a mess...
Seriously was not a fun day but at least now I know where to go and I'm sticking to it.

As for going braless - Shortly after getting home that is the first thing to go! It just wouldn't be pretty for a 36 DDD to be flopping the ladies all over the place during the day. Even with a bra doing jumping jacks is a near "knockout" experience.

Offline Mr. Red Beard (UKtheBUNNY)

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Probably doing it wrong
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2012, 08:16:17 AM »
Ok so I've been watching this thread for a bit. This has been a common complaint from my wife for a little while now. I want to take her out to get her a decent bra and hopefully alleviate to soreness, sensitivity and back pain.

So this is what I'm gathering:
Sizing at Victoria's Secret
Success with the as seen on TV Genie bra
Wacoal bras are a good brand

For a clueless husband am I on the right track?

Offline Dainty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2012, 08:26:56 AM »
All these fitting issues are the reason I'm such a big fan of custom bras. The ones I've got are cheaper than the expensive items you gals are quoting and if it isn't quite right you can send it in for free alterations until it works for you. It's hard for me to see a downside to that.

My order went something like this: first one I got was the wrong size. Got the right size, but realized I needed some adjustments. The strap length needed altering, and the band was uncomfortable so I had them change that too, plus add pockets. What I received back was a bra that suited me perfectly, with very little hassle. And now that they have the measurements they can easily replicate it as many times as I wish to purchase it.

I can't imagine ever returning to department store bras, not for practical purposes at least. ::)

For those who say you must have an underwire due to large cup size, take a glance though this testimonial page and the corresponding sizes: 34J, 32F, 40H, to name a few that have found sufficient support from these bras without underwires. Apparently the choice of fabric has a lot of influence over the level of support the bra is capable of.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2012, 08:32:35 AM »
Dainty, I hafta say, I have looked at your recommendation, and I am prob going to go with that once these ladies stop growing in a few months.  And maybe again when they go back to being small.  cuz I do wear a bra to church.  (hubby likes to watch me get ready for church  ::))

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2012, 09:34:48 AM »
dumb male question, what are 'pockets' in a bra?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2012, 10:08:30 AM »

They are for your car keys and mad money

Cedar

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2012, 10:14:41 AM »

Do you mean the bra's with closures or actual pockets?

The only pocket in my bra is called "cleavage".

But those little flaps are for breast feeding mothers.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2012, 10:18:01 AM »
Ok so I've been watching this thread for a bit. This has been a common complaint from my wife for a little while now. I want to take her out to get her a decent bra and hopefully alleviate to soreness, sensitivity and back pain.

So this is what I'm gathering:
Sizing at Victoria's Secret
Success with the as seen on TV Genie bra
Wacoal bras are a good brand

For a clueless husband am I on the right track?

yes you are on the right track.  You can have sizing done at a lot of different stores.  I have never had any luck with Victoria Secret.  I keep trying but never worked for me.  :(  I think the info that Dainty has provide might be a great place to check out.   Thing is sometimes you just gotta check out a few places.  It can be frustrating exhausting depressing and painful. 

I am very short only 5' on a good day.  So finding things that fit me under my arm and that don't go clear down to my belly button add to the challenge.  Hubby noticed that if there is too much fabric on the side of the waist band under the strap he would just tell the girl that wont work.  It saved a lot of time.  Now think about that how many hours would a man have to put in to be able to look at a bra and know if it will work.  He also sends back any thing with 4 hooks.  What a guy. 

The main support comes from the waist band and cup fabric not the shoulder straps.  Sometimes cookies can help with support.  Cookie is a small piece of padded fabric that is shaped like an eye.  You can slide it into the cup under the breast and it can give a little lift.  It's not used as padding or increasing appearance of size although could be used that way. 

I personally have to have something that is very very soft a smooth because I have fibro and my skin is very sensitive Having shingles 2 times in one year in that area didn't help.   That is the main reason I like the ones from TV.  Anything else feels like I am wearing steel wool with tacks in it.

Shopping tips  patience water to stay hydrated snacks maybe little something to read while she spends so much time in the dressing room maybe a small tape measure.  It's easier to measure on the rack than having to strip down and try on.   To make my trips easier I bought a zippered shirt/jacket  easy on and easy off. 

good luck

Offline Dainty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2012, 10:30:11 AM »

It's where an additional layer of fabric is sewn inside the cup, creating a pocket inside the bust where a woman can place a prosthesis, fake cleavage, or extra padding. I noted earlier in the thread that with this particular company, purchasing an unlined bra means there is only one layer of fabric across the bustline, whereas some women need/prefer a bit more shielding than that.

Do you mean the bra's with closures or actual pockets?

The only pocket in my bra is called "cleavage".

But those little flaps are for breast feeding mothers.

I'm talking about actual pockets. There are no a "flaps" and the only closures are in the band (though you can get a pullover version as well).

Offline Ronin4hire

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chance favours the prepared mind.
« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2012, 10:50:22 AM »
Hmmm I used to wear my Beretta92 in a Miami Classic shoulder rig for 12-16hrs a day...
Wasnt the most comfortable thing and I was glad to be out of it, so I guess I can sympathize?
I fear what sorta discomfort "big guns" cause- specially now that Im carrying a P14  45
Guess I will just keep it on the hip and save the structural stresses involved       :-X