Author Topic: yard accident with lesson  (Read 1773 times)

Offline superman9219

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
yard accident with lesson
« on: February 29, 2012, 01:28:41 PM »
I have an overgrown field on my lot that I am going to use for a garden this year.well I was outside clearing it with a self propelled mower while it was all dead. Anyways long story short ran over rock somehow it shot up hit me right below eye on eye socket ,bouncing over to my nose taking a huge gash out of it. Almost knocked me out it hit so hard and think it might have scratched my eye.  Anyways there is a lesson learned here always where safety glasses an inch higher and I would have lost my eye so needless to say I'm keeping some safety glasses as part of my preps and hopefully will save me from having to use medical preps because of a situation like this again.   Sorry if I posted this in wrong board

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: yard accident with lesson
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 01:29:42 PM »
glad you are safe!
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline superman9219

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 01:34:04 PM »
Yeah swollen eye and sore as can be but I am ok . Just hope this is a lesson to others I was mowing basically so thought simple task so no need for safety glassed. Lesson is no matter how simple the task always protect yourself

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 01:38:31 PM »
very good point superman and thanks for sharing your experience.

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 01:59:08 PM »
Often it is while doing a mundane or ordinary task is when we end up causing ourselves a world of hurt.

Glad you are okay.
I tell ye true, liberty is the best of all things; never live beneath the noose of a servile halter.²
    - William Wallace, Address to the Scots, circa 1300

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 02:03:52 PM »
gald you are ok noted always safety first.  I don't think we can be reminded of that often enough.
There is no $50 job that I can't do without a $100 worth of new tools.

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 02:09:16 PM »
Yep, my wife always laughs at the fact that I wear safety glasses when I run the snowblower, but stories like this to serve as a good reminder that sometimes ordinary precautions can prevent a life-changing accident.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 10:20:01 PM »
Glad your're going to be ok.

Mowers can throw some funny stuff. I'm super careful around them since the day I caught a pecan right between the eyes. Felt like I'd been hit with a brick.

But big stuff is not always the problem.

I had a friend that mowed his lawn, then went in and took a shower. He looked in the bathroom mirror and saw a tiny speck of black on the white of one eye.

It wouldn't rinse off, so he went straight to the doctor.

The doc pulled an inch-long piece of hair-fine steel wire out of the guy's eyeball.

If he'd not noticed it, he would have gone blind in a few days.

He felt zero pain, since the eyeball itself has no pain receptors.

Yeah: Goggles are a good idea around mowers and every other kind of spinning machinery.

I store all my ammunition under my bed. That way I can get to it quickly, and if there's a fire I can escape through the roof.

The Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse is an accountant. He will balance your books.

Offline cdhm22

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 01:42:14 PM »
Glad you're OK. Eye injuries are no joke.

This exact thing happened to my uncle. My cousin was using a hedge trimmer and shot a rock at my uncle. Hit him directly in the eye and they took him to the doctor. His retina is intact, but the muscles that open and close the eye to let light in detached, so if you see him outside it always looks like he is high as a kite in one eye, and the other eye is about the size of a pin prick (refering to the black part in both) to compensate. My uncle has been to eye surgeons since and they tell him they can attemp to fix it, but that it probably won't work as well as it used to and not much better than it does now anyway, so he opted to leave it alone and avoid the irritation.

I always make my wife wear gloves, eye protection, and hearing protection when she mows the lawn, and I did it even before my uncle had his accident, so its good to see people start a thread so hopefully others will learn from their mistakes and not repeat them.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • RicksDIY
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 02:06:59 PM »
damn that sucks, glad you are okay. I've had rocks and sticks hit my face so I always wear safety glasses and ear plugs, when weed wacking I also add a face shield...looks stupid but I don't care.

We also had a friend about a month ago trimming his fruit trees and a branch he cut off swung toward him and hit him in his left eye...it bruised but he thought nothing of it...then his vision started to double and turn s out he separated his retna and had to have surgery...I bet he will wear safety glasses now..
http://ricksdiy.com http://heezy.com/ http://woodybeds.com

I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it when I do need it.

Offline KY60

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 03:21:13 PM »
Not to make light of the situation Superman, but are you sure it wasn't a piece of Kryptonite?

Glad your okay...

Offline Wildthang

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 02:26:45 PM »
Does anybody remember the old Yazoo lawn mowers? I had just moved into a new house, and was mowing the yard for the first time. I was cutting through some fairly tall grass and weeds in the back yard, and heard the lawnmower hit something. I saw something fly out of the right side diescharge opening and flew off into the distance at a high rate of speed. It flew over the house behind me, and onto the house across the street. It went through the front window of that house and took out a television and freaked out the kids that were watching their cartoons.
I killed the lawnmower and walked through the yard behind me and saw that family in the front yard looking around for whatever propelled that thing through the front window.
I walked up to them and ask them if something had hit their house and they told me what happened. The thing that came through the window was an old rusty 1 1/2" bolt with a nut on it. It would have certainly killed somebody if it had hit them!
I told them that my lawnmower had hit something and it looked like it came their way, and offered to pay for the window and the television. Being super nice people they told me that they were just glad that it hadn't hit one of their kids, and the insurance would probably pay for the window. I felt terrible but there was nothing else to do but say that I was sorry and offered to pay the deductible if they wanted me too. After I walked back home, thats when I realized that there was no discharge chute on the lawnmower, just a large opening for the grass to fly out of.

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 02:54:36 PM »
Does anybody remember the old Yazoo lawn mowers? I had just moved into a new house, and was mowing the yard for the first time. I was cutting through some fairly tall grass and weeds in the back yard, and heard the lawnmower hit something. I saw something fly out of the right side diescharge opening and flew off into the distance at a high rate of speed. It flew over the house behind me, and onto the house across the street. It went through the front window of that house and took out a television and freaked out the kids that were watching their cartoons.
I killed the lawnmower and walked through the yard behind me and saw that family in the front yard looking around for whatever propelled that thing through the front window.
I walked up to them and ask them if something had hit their house and they told me what happened. The thing that came through the window was an old rusty 1 1/2" bolt with a nut on it. It would have certainly killed somebody if it had hit them!
I told them that my lawnmower had hit something and it looked like it came their way, and offered to pay for the window and the television. Being super nice people they told me that they were just glad that it hadn't hit one of their kids, and the insurance would probably pay for the window. I felt terrible but there was nothing else to do but say that I was sorry and offered to pay the deductible if they wanted me too. After I walked back home, thats when I realized that there was no discharge chute on the lawnmower, just a large opening for the grass to fly out of.
damn that is scary... good that no one got hurt.

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Garandman

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 03:54:33 PM »
Hedge trimmers, too. They're like cats - you just can't trust 'em.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 04:09:55 PM »
Yep, my wife always laughs at the fact that I wear safety glasses when I run the snowblower,

is this what you consider "Safety Glasses?

Offline Fyrediver

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 04:19:45 PM »
Good point from cdhm22 -- you may need some level of protection even if you're not the one working.

Last week I was at work and one of the guys was running up a chainsaw.  I was about 20 feet to his right and about 30 feet forward when I heard a loud bang, then the rear window of a co-worker's car exploded!  The chainsaw's teeth were coming off and shooting across the parking lot like little bullets. The car's window took at least 2 hits from carbide chainsaw bullets.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 04:27:45 PM »
Good point from cdhm22 -- you may need some level of protection even if you're not the one working.

Last week I was at work and one of the guys was running up a chainsaw.  I was about 20 feet to his right and about 30 feet forward when I heard a loud bang, then the rear window of a co-worker's car exploded!  The chainsaw's teeth were coming off and shooting across the parking lot like little bullets. The car's window took at least 2 hits from carbide chainsaw bullets.

That's one of the reasons I stick to axe/hatchet/handsaw for my wood cutting needs.  Chainsaws are powerful and not a necessity.

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 05:51:47 PM »
I've gotten more crap in my eyes over the years than I care to think about. Luckily no real damage yet (knocks on wood), but almost all of them was while wearing glasses, either safety or sun. There have been a few times I have noticed big stuff bounce off of them while I'm working too, so I know they have saved me pain and aggravation. One more thing, take it from a guy who likes loud stereos and has worked around power tools and equipment for years, hearing protection is damn important too. I am 30 years old, and I already notice my hearing starting to slip. Hell, I noticed it 5+ years ago. I wear eye/ear protection anytime I am around power equipment. Even a shop vac.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 06:06:47 PM »
Does anybody remember the old Yazoo lawn mowers? I had just moved into a new house, and was mowing the yard for the first time. I was cutting through some fairly tall grass and weeds in the back yard, and heard the lawnmower hit something. I saw something fly out of the right side discharge opening and flew off into the distance at a high rate of speed. It flew over the house behind me, and onto the house across the street. It went through the front window of that house and took out a television and freaked out the kids that were watching their cartoons.

Just so glad no one was hurt! I've always been a bit paranoid about lawn mowers for that very reason.  Thankfully now that I've replaced my grass with edible gardens, I don't have to worry about mowing any more.