Author Topic: Where do you rank fitness and endurance in your preps?  (Read 14657 times)

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
Re: Where do you rank fitness and endurance in your preps?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2012, 12:12:08 PM »
I still plan on doing a proper workout every evening, but the latest studies are saying that having a sedentary job is worse that smoking two packs of cigarettes a day for CV risk, so I'm trying to do what I can to mitigate the fact that my ass is glued to a chair too many hours.

Gotcha - I do something similar by walking to the grocery store to buy lunch.  It's about 3/4 of a mile round trip and the bonus is the deli items are cheaper than buying lunch at all the nearby restaurants/snack shops (and a tad healthier, too).

-N

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 01:05:34 PM »
It's at the top for me, but not necessarily b/c I think it's the most important.  1, I don't have much money and it's something that costs very little to maintain (gym isn't expensive, buy proper running shoes every so often, and eating right is it's own reward. and I don't take a ton of supplements, mostly just protein and glucosamine)  2.  I fight professionally, so to be competetive, I need a high level of fitness so it's something I have to do anyways.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain

Offline SheepdogSurvival

• Survivor
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2012, 01:31:31 PM »
It's pretty important to me. I stay in pretty excellent shape from mostly crossfit style workouts, occasional runs/bike rides, and being active in general so sometimes I take my fitness for granted. I agree with others that fitness should be focused on increasing functional physical performance. But if my condition ever starts slipping much I'm quick to correct it. Being in great shape is probably one of the best things you can do to prepare for short term/high intensity survival situations. That's why all our SF boys put such a high premium on their fitness. And the nice thing about conditioning is that you take it (or lack of it) with you everywhere you go and into every situation. Fitness is a huge force multiplier for survival.

Also I'm a big believer in variations to workouts and taking breaks sometimes. By that I mean I just try to do everything I do at a high or near max capacity effort. I think any situation that is a mental and physical challenge to you even if it 'breaks' your routine is good for your overall fitness level and mental toughness.

~my 2 cents

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2012, 09:28:04 AM »
Fitness is a huge force multiplier for survival.

+1  very overlooked