Author Topic: airsoft recommendations, please  (Read 3359 times)

medic_ray

airsoft recommendations, please
« on: February 28, 2009, 11:18:49 PM »
Hello,
 I'm looking for recommendations for an airsoft handgun. I am currently on vacation, from Canada, in southern Texas. When I visit WalMart I am a little overwhelmed by all the choices. I believe Academy has them to.
 I am looking for an inexpensive way to develop target accuracy and muscle memory before I buy a handgun back home.
 I know the spring models have been recommended by Jack and others, but I was hoping for recommendations specifically for spring action models currently in stock at WalMart and/or Academy.
 Thanks to

medic_ray

Re: airsoft recommendations, please
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 11:23:16 PM »
Thanks to all that reply, all your advice is appreciated.  --Ray.

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 11:52:49 PM »
I bought one from Walmart - the Beretta model. A friend said that it's the most accurate of any of them he has used, and once I got used to it (and probably broke it in a bit) it is pretty accurate.

I picked up the glow-in-the-dark pellets this last time. I think they are two heavy for the gun at the range I am shooting - one end of the apartment to the other. They seem to drop just a little more then the orange ones or the green ones. My friend swears by the green ones.
I like the glow in the dark ones, because, you turn off the light, and go pick all the loose ones up off the carpeting.

I also got a laser site for the air-guns for mine this weekend just for giggles. A friend was visiting, and said that is the most fun way to shoot. It is a hoot. The cat loves it too!
Live for today, but prepare for tomorrow...

medic_ray

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 09:28:47 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to take a look at that model tomorrow, as I leave - back for home, Thursday.  --Ray.

Offline Remington

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 12:57:48 PM »
I hope you didn't buy an airsoft gun with the intent to take it over the border! If discovered, I'm fairly certain it will be confiscated, and you may have to deal with some added flack.

As for makes, KWC is pretty good. KWA and KJW are alright. CYMA and Desert Eagle are pretty bad. But at the end of the day none of the brands available at the big box stores are "great". Tokyo Marui makes some good spring guns, though specializes in gas operated.
Thank you Jack and staff for the podcast and forums!

medic_ray

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 11:14:21 AM »
I didn't end up buying an airsoft gun on my recent trip, but I don't think I would have had any difficulty at the border if I did.

I've looked at some of the brands you mentioned, in particular the the KWC - and more specifically the Beretta model. It seems to get a lot of good reviews and has made fans out many of those who own it.

I am going to see what I can find, locally, but I think I may have to order online. Do you (or anyone) have suggestions for good online dealers? The local Wally-World has a few different Crosman models, not sure if they the KWCs, or not. There are maybe one or two other places I can think of buying one, I'll have to check them to.

Thanks for your reply and recommendations, I'll try and post how my search pans out.  --Ray.

Offline Remington

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 12:34:31 PM »
The KWC M92 Beretta is a nice model, and officially licensed too (so has Beretta markings). As with most spring model Beretta's the decocking lever is non functional though.

Dunhum's Sports has the KWC Beretta at a good price.

I don't know if they ship airsoft to Canada though.
Thank you Jack and staff for the podcast and forums!

Cushak

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 08:51:55 AM »
Hey Ray;

Just a heads up on importing airsoft into Canada. 95% of the time, if the airsoft gun is noticed by customs, they'll seize it. Replica's are illegal, and even though the technical definition of replica is 'non-firing', CBSA has decided to interpret the laws to include airsoft into that definition. Where in Canada are you located? If you're interested in them, I may be able to put you in touch with some people that could help you get them (either they're already in country, or people who are able to get them in due to obscure film-use liscences etc)

The laws regarding airsoft are pretty much non-existant in Canada, so various departments and government agencies decide where they fit in. Unfortunately it didn't turn out favourably for us.

Are you looking at the M92 model specifically because you have the real-steel equivalent? Or does the actual model not matter as much to you? If not, I'd suggest trying one of the $20 dealies from walmart and see if that'd serve your purpose.

-Cush

Offline Ragzilla

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 09:43:02 PM »
It sucks that we can't get airsoft guns in Canada.
I have one from Bass Pro Shops that I am trying to paint.

Offline Darklen

• Prepper
    • Bent Barrel Airsoft
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 11:27:26 AM »
You can, you just have to know how. Possession and ownership aren't the issue, importation is. If you really want to get into the sport, or even just want "black" guns as a collector, go to:

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/forums.php

Register to access the boards, then go to the FAQ section and read, read and read some more.

While you do not need a PAL/RPAL in Canada to own an airsoft gun, on ASC, you do need to be "Age Verified" (+18) to view the classified sections. The community came up with the Age Verification process as a way to help prevent minors from accessing airsoft easily and to show some measure of control to the powers that be. Keep in mind the AV process isn't required to get an airsoft gun in Canada, but it is if you want to purchase through the classifieds on ASC or from one of the retailers that sell via ASC. The AV process is very simple. Look through the FAQ for the Age Verifiers list, find one in your area, contact them, meet in person and show government issued photo ID and wait about a week or so. The age restricted areas will become available once the "switch is flicked" by one of the admins. Yeah, it's a pita and silly to have to be verified as being over 18 to buy essentially a toy, but that's what we had to do to keep the government happy, at least for now. Some guys here are pissed about the process and that they have to do it in person, but without some type of actual regulation, this is the best we could do with all volunteers. And it beats what's happened in Austrailia (no full auto airsoft guns. It was lamost banned there) or the Netherlands, where they are illegal period.

There could even be a local team with a classified section that you don't have to be verified to view or purchase from.
Taking the road less graveled

medic_ray

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 07:51:17 PM »
thanks for the (more recent) replies. I am looking into my options again and hope to be doing some target practice in my basement soon. Take care,  --Ray.