Author Topic: Home Depot Buckets?  (Read 10676 times)

DwightS

Home Depot Buckets?
« on: March 01, 2009, 08:08:52 AM »
Hey Guys,

I am new to this Forum. I was a big time Y2K'er. (That really went well)!
I used Home Depot 5 Gal Buckets back then, and am using them now.

I drop a 25lb bag of Rice-Flour-Sugar down in them use my rubber mallot and Burp the
bucket just like tubberware. It seals very well the buckets are 4.00 including the top with a good rubber gasket.
Burping the bucket creates a little vacum  and when I did this in 1999 the supplies I gave away in mid 2000-2001 were
fine.....These are in a cool storage area and will be kept climate controlled.
I know some of you use mylar isn't that to protect from radiation contamination?

MY QUESTION IS;
The supplies in their orginal packing.....well won't they be OK in these Bucket's?

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Home Depot Buckets?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 08:22:57 AM »
I don't know the answer, but I would think it would depend on what the original packaging is.  What I mean by this is we get some of our beans from the local mega-mart.  These are packaged in a plastic bag with printing on it.  I've had bags like this in the past that eventually turned gummy.  I think it had to do with the ink used.

But rice often comes in those plastic burlap bags.  I don't know that they would break down like those bean bags.

You probably already know that there will be dozens of different ways of storing long term.  I'm one that uses mylar and buckets with O2 absorbers.  Personally, I don't use Home Depot buckets because I don't know that they are food grade.  They could be, but because I don't know, I don't use them. 

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 08:49:33 AM »
Well there are few questions here so let me try to sort through them all.

Your biggest question is basically will the food be ok if you just drop it in a Home Depot bucket and seal it up?  The answer is you can bet it won't shorten the storage life the food would have with out the buckets and will probably extend it some.  It will also protect it from rodent/insect damage.  So it is a good step.

Mylar is the next question.  Mylar MAY offer some protection from some radioactive exposure but that is not the main reason we use it.  Food has three primary enemies they are heat, light and oxygen.  The bucket helps some with oxygen, heat one has to simply store the items where they won't get to hot and light is where things like mylar comes in.  Take one of those buckets and hold it up to a sunny window and look how much light comes in.  Mylar blocks light which extends storage.

Burping third. -  This will help a bit but not much, all you are doing is forcing some (but no where near most) of the air out.  O2 absorbers would be much more effective. 

Last the type of bucket.  Those plain old home depot buckets are pretty good in my view.  Many recommend "food grade" buckets but to me if your food is in a box or pack, then inside mylar there ain't much more needed then a hard air tight shell.  If you were storing say loose grain strait in the bucket I would want food grade but otherwise, these are fine IF STORED in a climate controlled low light environment like all of them should be anyway. 

I have seen those cheap buckets if kept outside for a year or two (say for garden use) turn very brittle and literally shatter you try to pick up one say full of water.  This should never apply to food anyway but for those that use buckets around the home stead don't constantly leave them outside unprotected if you want more then a few seasons out of them.

DwightS

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 03:17:09 PM »
Hey I bought some great foot locker sized latched boxes at Sam's today they are Air tight (They say)..
Fedx-USPS-UPS approved for shipping. they have Piano hinges and 4 latches very rugged...I put 25lbs Pintos-25 lbs sugar-25 lbs rice 40 box of Lipton Gal tea  Bags 3-6lb bags of pasta and it still has room for some more stuff.....They take up less room stacked then all these Buckets....

They sold originally for 28.97 on sale for 14.88 and

Sam's in Durham NC has a TON OF THEM IF ANY BODY LIVES IN THIS AREA....does any body live in this area?

Wanna get together and shoot the AR's?

I Striper fish and would be willing to teach some others....I've got a 2 year old  22ft Center Console and Live Bait Shad...

We use the Downriggers when the weather gets hot....

Striped Bass are Great for the freezer.....
email;
Veritas2003d@aol.com

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 03:23:46 PM »
Dwight,

Great suggestion I will have to see if our Sams has them too.

On stripers I wish you were closer.  Come on down to TX or AR some time and we can hit up these lakes.  I fish Tawokoni mostly in Texas for Stripers and it is good Texoma is better but more trouble to get to.  I fish Ouachita (wash-ah-ta) in AR, it is unbelievable, you can slab about 10 months out of the year!  Lots of whites and hybrids too. 

Folks if you live up near Dwight I would take him up on the offer.  Stripers are awesome fish, big time fighters, good eating and a few add up to quite a bit of meat.

Offline theaccidentalsurvivor

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 09:04:27 AM »
From Dallas originally, but moved to Houston after college out in Lubbock...... Other than my family, the one thing I miss is going to Texoma and striper fishing! Probably one of the most underrated fish I know of.... Everyone talks crappie and bass, but pound for pound stripers are where its at...... You can fight them all day, but catch a mess of them in 2 hours..... Great fish to fry, bake, or grill..... Absolutely my favorite fresh water fish!

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 09:14:06 AM »
The only thing I don't like about stripes/whites/hybrids is they don't come out very good if you smoke them.  Other then that they are great, I like both to fry them and to leave the skin on the fillet and just grill em skin side down strait on the grill. 

Oh and this thread has officially been derailed now,  ;D

Offline jhratzer

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 06:12:09 PM »
I just found the Home Depot Buckets for $2.78 each.  My Depot has a ton of them.  I live in Northern Michigan(south of the Mackinac Bridge), so it probably won't help many people, but maybe your local Depot has the same deal.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days

Offline CdnGuy

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 10:22:36 PM »
We use the Home Depot ones for putting bags of flour in. I think I read somewhere that if the bucket has a 2 with the recycling arrows around it, it can be used for food. Don't quote me on that, but it gives us a research point to start with.

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Global Moderator
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 07:22:31 AM »
Be advised, the Number 2 designation only indicates the material of construction, i.e. HDPE.  It does not indicate that the bucket/plastic is food grade.  HTH

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 07:24:53 AM »
It's been mentioned elsewhere that you can sometimes get buckets from Walmart or bakeries without having to pay for them. Locally, I was able to get 10 buckets for free from Walmart. It took them a mere 2 days to accumulate them.

I mention it because I'm not sure you considered that route when purchasing Home Depot buckets.

Offline kiteflyer

• Survival Demonstrator
  • The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 09:14:43 AM »

There's a Triangle on the bottom of most plastic containers with a number.The higher the number the better the plastic hold ups from degrading but then read the link to be sure. Stick food exposed to plastic for long term storage's and take your chances.

kiteflyer

http://www.nzbcsd.org.nz/_attachments/ACOR_HDPE_Guide.pdf

Offline Cave Dweller

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 11:00:55 PM »
Found some videos of folks who've been there,

Results of food storage practices.
Long Term food storage results pt1

Long Term food storage results pt.2

Food storage results part 3

About that last video, I've personally eaten that type of bug, I think it's a wheval. Found it in some corn meal. Cooked it up for porridge. It was yummy. Cooking kills em, and they're "corn fed" Dunno what might happen if I'd left them to it for longer.

And some pretty ok how to videos on storing with Mylar.
Long term food storage part 1

Long term food storage part 2

Long term food storage part 3

My dad told me years ago about the "bug parts" content of popular foods. Peanut butter was the worst, Bread flour was the runner up.
It seems that it is so impossible to keep bugs and bug eggs out of the food, and so impossible to clean the food, that the FDA actually has regulation allowing a certain level of bug parts.

So that clean rice you put up today, might have eggs that hatch and give you bugs after everything's all sealed up.
Even if the ready reserve folks are right, and the o2 absorbers let the o2 back out after a while, I'd imagine they've probably already done their job and starved the buggs and eggs of oxygen they need to live.

Offline union hill

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 01:03:58 AM »
I didn't see the video where they say that O2 absorbers would let the O2 back out after a while, but from what I know of chemistry I consider that highly implausible.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 06:51:01 PM »
I didn't see the video where they say that O2 absorbers would let the O2 back out after a while, but from what I know of chemistry I consider that highly implausible.
It wasn't a video. I ras refering to something somebody at Ready Reserve Foods told me.
I asked if they sold the o2 absorbers, and they fed me the line, "nitrogen pack is better cause those ot absormers gotta exhail sometime."
I think they were just trying to sell me caned goods. Didn't make sense to me either.
http://www.readyreservefoods.com/frequently-asked-questions/#Q3

Offline Jim3

• Prepper
    • Where's Jimbo
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 05:34:36 PM »
My local Firehouse Subs (its a sandwich store) has used pickle buckles for sale. The last time I was there they had a couple stacks of them. They go for $2 each, I didnt see any tops.  I think the money goes to some charity.  The link below goes to their "How you can help" page.  The buckle info is about half way down the page.  I'll pick up a couple next time I'm in there and see what they look like.  Click on the restaurant locator link at the top left and see if you have one near you.  Sounds like a good way to get a few food grade buckets and give a few bucks to some real heros of the day

http://www.firehousesubs.com/content.cfm?id=387

badbeamer

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 07:48:39 AM »
I bought some of the orange buckets from HD one time to store citric acid for my bath fizzies.  The citric acid turned orange where it was touching the bucket AND it had an odd sugary smell that IS NOT normal for citric acid.  >:(

Skip those...

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 05:31:01 AM »
Citric acid is an acid that will do its normal thing -i.e, react, when you put it in contact with something reactive, which plastic is. It should have been stored inside something in the bucket, at the very least.

Home Depot buckets are HDPE #2, which is food grade, so as long as they are new they should be perfectly safe to use, HOWEVER, just like all plastics, they will import strange flavors to flour and the like that is stored in close contact with them (i.e., out of the package or w/o a liner).

badbeamer

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 07:18:08 PM »
Oh totally agree.  And I have never had any problems with any buckets since then.  I now use a nicer grade of bucket.  Are the HD buckets still "soft"? The ones I had were not sturdy and I always could see a mouse easily breaching the bucket.

And the suggestion of a liner is always a great idea no matter what the contents!

Michael Masse

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 07:51:48 PM »
Has anyone seen the clear five gallon buckets at Home Depot? 

They were on sale for $6.50 and are now marked down to $1.60. 

Pretty nice food grade with graduated markings on the outside showing every gallon.

Don't come with lids though.