Author Topic: Greece  (Read 130585 times)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Greece
« Reply #390 on: March 30, 2018, 02:01:23 PM »
You would not make such a promise to an idiot who walked into a bar and started insulting people twice his size. 

Cos that idiot leases the whole building to the sheriff's office.
Whether I like it or not, Turkey has secured the best plot in the general area. i.e. During the two World Wars it was right in Germany's way to the Messopotamia oil reserves.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #391 on: March 30, 2018, 03:21:05 PM »
Cos that idiot leases the whole building to the sheriff's office.
Whether I like it or not, Turkey has secured the best plot in the general area. i.e. During the two World Wars it was right in Germany's way to the Messopotamia oil reserves.

good point there

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #392 on: March 30, 2018, 03:32:25 PM »
Only secular nation in the mid-east with halfway democratic institutions?

Things have been poor recently, but Turkey seemed better than the alternative.  They also recognized Israel shortly after Egypt did.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #393 on: March 30, 2018, 03:57:44 PM »
Only secular nation in the mid-east with halfway democratic institutions?

Things have been poor recently, but Turkey seemed better than the alternative.  They also recognized Israel shortly after Egypt did.

So is this BS?

https://www.nato.int/cps/ua/natohq/topics_110496.htm

What I mean is, on a personal level, there's a short list of people I'd truly stick my neck out for.  Expanding that list to contractually include the "least bad student in detention" does not appeal to me.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #394 on: March 31, 2018, 05:16:35 PM »
You asked a question, why we are allies with Turkey. In the bipolar world of the cold war, it seemed a valid risk and if any mideast nation was worth the risk it was seen as that one. It also shared a border with the Soviet union, extending the borders the soviets had to protect. Our relationship with Iran was based on that assumption as well.

Obvious it hasn't worked out great in all respects but you asked.

Additional, the process of expelling an ally from the alliance carries risk for the alliance as a whole though admittedly Turkey's behavior carries risk also.

It's not like we always act like we give a damn what our Allies want either.

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #395 on: May 31, 2018, 05:49:09 PM »
Austerity deal is fraying.

https://www.theknifemedia.com/world-news/greek-workers-strike-austerity-measures/

Greek workers strike over austerity measures

Thousands of Greek workers went on strike on Wednesday for 24 hours to protest austerity measures implemented in exchange for international debt relief. More than 10,000 workers, students, pensioners and unemployed people protested in front of the parliament in Athens around noon, Reuters reported.

Air traffic controllers also held a three hour work stoppage, leading flights to be canceled or rescheduled. Bus and trolley service was running at reduced capacity, and some ships were unable to sail. Journalists for state and private television stations also went on strike; the stations aired documentaries instead of news.