Author Topic: Greece has defaulted!  (Read 3984 times)

Offline GreekMan

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Greece has defaulted!
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 04:00:06 AM »
I happened on this documentary on the Greek situation....It is a bit old but you are still welcome to it if you have the time and wish.

http://bcove.me/hjo39qw1
The Greek Preparedness Blogspot
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline osubuckeye4

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2012, 02:16:08 PM »
Who's next?  ::)

Ireland or Spain are the frontrunners.

Offline jpbearit

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2012, 11:58:03 PM »
Who's next?  ::)

I think Japan is next.
"we are spending money we don't have to kill people we don't know for reasons we don't understand." - Teller
“I hope I remember my Thriller choreography when I become a zombie.” - unknown
"I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!" Casablaca (Capt. Renault)
"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." The Godfather (Clemenza)

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2012, 10:07:53 AM »
I think Japan is next.
Most of Japan's debt is held by Japanese citizens, unlike the Europeans.  It's the foundation of their retirement and pension programs.  Thus, they can delay a lot longer by working later in life, whereas once the writing goes up on the wall that your country may not be able to pay back its debt, nobody is willing to loan you money, thus interest rates go up, thus the ability to repay bondholders goes down and you have a vicious cycle.  That's what happened in Greece and is unfolding in Spain, Italy and Portugal today.  Since the Japanese are buying their own bonds, they can prop their own system up a lot longer.  Will it come apart eventually when folks retire enmasse, you bet, but they have a lot more control over the how and the when than Spain does.

Ireland is perceived as being a culture that is very willing to suffer, thus, they're still seen as a better risk, but no doubt about it, they're in for a lot of suffering and only time will tell if they eventually see the rebellion against austerity that Greece has demonstrated.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison