Author Topic: Greece  (Read 20578 times)

Online Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Greece
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 03:00:06 AM »
I happened on this documentary on the Greek situation....It is a bit old but you are still welcome to it if you have the time and wish.

http://bcove.me/hjo39qw1
The Greek Preparedness Blogspot
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline osubuckeye4

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hello.
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2012, 01:16:08 PM »
Who's next?  ::)

Ireland or Spain are the frontrunners.

Offline jpbearit

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2012, 10:58:03 PM »
Who's next?  ::)

I think Japan is next.
"we are spending money we don't have to kill people we don't know for reasons we don't understand." - Teller
“I hope I remember my Thriller choreography when I become a zombie.” - unknown
"I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!" Casablaca (Capt. Renault)
"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." The Godfather (Clemenza)

Offline Endurance

• Sheepdog and Honey Badger Lover
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Maker of excellent puns
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2012, 09:07:53 AM »
I think Japan is next.
Most of Japan's debt is held by Japanese citizens, unlike the Europeans.  It's the foundation of their retirement and pension programs.  Thus, they can delay a lot longer by working later in life, whereas once the writing goes up on the wall that your country may not be able to pay back its debt, nobody is willing to loan you money, thus interest rates go up, thus the ability to repay bondholders goes down and you have a vicious cycle.  That's what happened in Greece and is unfolding in Spain, Italy and Portugal today.  Since the Japanese are buying their own bonds, they can prop their own system up a lot longer.  Will it come apart eventually when folks retire enmasse, you bet, but they have a lot more control over the how and the when than Spain does.

Ireland is perceived as being a culture that is very willing to suffer, thus, they're still seen as a better risk, but no doubt about it, they're in for a lot of suffering and only time will tell if they eventually see the rebellion against austerity that Greece has demonstrated.

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Edtor of the CNN
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 05:02:56 PM »
Greece's current bailout expires on 28 February 2015. Any new agreement would need to be approved by national governments, so time is running out to reach a compromise. Without a deal Greece is likely to run out of money.
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-31485073

Greece defies creditors, seeking credit but no bailout
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102429071

Greece bailout talks break down after Athens rejects 'unacceptable' eurozone demands
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/16/greece-fails-rescue-package-eurozone-finance-ministers

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Online Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2015, 12:42:27 AM »
I was patiently waiting till someone found out...

There was an initiative by the Greek side half a day ago. And it is reasonable assuming a solution must be found.

problem is that Germany is hard fixed in its position and has the rest of the Europe by the balls.
The secret is out, it is using a Mercantilistic economic policy to further its 3rd try their Pan-European Lebensraum. 9that was as a dense statement as it can get)

So we are in an armwresting game with the possibility to turn into a barroom brawl

germany's position is so hard set that either is playing a hard negotiating game or is determined to push things to the end and create te conditions of ousting Greece from the Eurozone.
The media are supporting the idea that the EU is now hardened enough to bare the exiting crisis and its effects on the Euro, and not contaging the rest of the problematic economies of portugal, Spain and Italy.
Check this: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/02/13/italy-is-europes-ticking-time-bomb/
Practically Greece is being used (again) to bully the rest of the European south. the situation is particlularly critical since in Spain, the prime minister is sinking in a muck of scandals and the radical left party (connected to the similar one governign Greece now) is kickin ass and will sweep in September's elections.
So time is sparce, everything must happen by summer.

Where this going i can not tell.
The fact is that the real battle is between the Germanic recipe of extreme austerity to serve depts versus an expansive economy approach to create profit and surplusses.
And the major player in this game is known for making the wrong act when history calls.
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Edtor of the CNN
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2015, 01:31:51 AM »

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Online Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2015, 07:07:48 AM »
this article by Bloomberg sums quite well the facts and the feelings in Greece

Europe and Greece Are at War Over Nothing
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-02-19/what-are-europe-and-greece-even-fighting-over-

Content in English
Facebook Page

Online Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2015, 02:31:47 AM »
an interesting article talking about the geostategic implications of the Greek situation

Keeping Greece in the euro is about far more than money
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f98c73b6-b761-11e4-981d-00144feab7de.html#axzz3SHAUoKHI

Events in Ukraine have shaken those in Europe who once took for granted that the postwar territorial settlement would be respected by all its neighbours. In what promises to be a protracted western confrontation with Russia, the geostrategic assets represented by Greece are irreplaceable.

Yet European leaders persist in discussing Greece’s financial position as if its geopolitical allegiances were immutably settled. Events may yet prove them right. But it is a risky bet. It would be a tragedy if a narrow-minded analysis of the situation led them to place that wager accidentally.
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Edtor of the CNN
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2015, 08:27:36 PM »
Greece pushes creditors to the edge as it demands EU summit talks.  The Greek government has demanded bail-out talks at an EU summit later this week, frustrating its creditors in already strained debt negotiations. According to reports, Athens refused to update European finance ministers about its plans to implement vital reforms at a scheduled teleconference yesterday, requesting higher level political talks with eurozone leaders instead.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11479304/Greece-pushes-creditors-to-the-edge-as-it-demands-EU-summit-talks.html

Greece defies EC with anti-austerity law
www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-3195221

Cedar

Online Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2015, 01:13:48 AM »
yep! it is a huge battle against the German pushed Mercantilistic austerity. Cos all this dept thing boils down to this.
And not for greece only. Unless something changes, Europe will either fall into a recession or break up.
Key politicians (i..e Mario Draggi) have started realizing this, but not soon enough for Greece.

Food for thought:
https://www.youtube.com/user/INETeconomics/search?query=mercantilism
https://www.youtube.com/user/INETeconomics/search?query=+The+Future+of+Europe
Content in English
Facebook Page

Online Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2015, 07:29:14 AM »
cos nothing is like it seems on the surface and some people want you to believe

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/greek-study-provides-evidence-of-forced-loans-to-nazis-a-1024762.html
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Edtor of the CNN
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2015, 08:58:26 AM »

Offline nkawtg

• Survival Demonstrator
  • NKAWTG
With the application of the proper amount of thrust, pigs fly just fine.

Offline nkawtg

• Survival Demonstrator
  • NKAWTG
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2015, 09:39:02 AM »
Athens looks to Moscow
Greek PM and Vladimir Putin chatted on the phone "in a friendly atmosphere"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11653211/Greece-IMF-payment-live.html
With the application of the proper amount of thrust, pigs fly just fine.

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Edtor of the CNN
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2015, 09:55:20 PM »
- Standard & Poor's downgrades Greece's credit rating 1 notch further into junk territory
- Greece considering accepting a bailout extension to March 2016, government source says
- Greek PM Tsipras will meet the president of the European Council Donald Tusk at 1:30 pm Brussels time on Wednesday
- White House says President Obama and Chancellor Merkel discussed Greece in bilateral meeting, agreed Greece must achieve reforms and return to sustainable long-term growth

Cedar

Offline Chemsoldier

• Instigator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2015, 04:36:49 AM »
- Standard & Poor's downgrades Greece's credit rating 1 notch further into junk territory
For those who track such things, that is a CCC rating fpr Greece. (The US is "AA+"  ::) )
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2015, 06:09:51 AM »
If the world is collectively in debt,Who do we owe?
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

I am 100% in favor of TRIGGER CONTROL.

Your best piece of survival gear is your brain,
you should carry it with you every day.

Online Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2015, 06:52:04 AM »
The Cloud  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(really, by the Cloud I mean those trillion in funds flaoting around bank accounts) (they say that available fund capital is thrice the world;s GDP)
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline hackmeister

• Senior Survivalist
  • Beer, linux and prepping!
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2015, 07:45:34 AM »
The possible scenarios:
http://news.yahoo.com/greeces-debt-drama-possible-scenarios-205841798.html

Some are predicting that Greece will join the BRIC nations.

Offline Endurance

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2015, 08:42:17 AM »
I have to say, the PM of Greece isn't taking any crap from the banks or EU. I'm not saying he's entirely dealing with reality since none of those pensions are going to get paid if the nation gets kicked out of the EU, but the bankers played a dangerous game to get them in this mess in the first place, so I feel none too sorry for them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33131715

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Edtor of the CNN
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2015, 08:43:20 AM »
Global financial markets suffered their first bout of significant contagion from the Greek crisis this year on Monday after 11th hour talks between the near bankrupt country and its creditors collapsed.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/15/us-markets-global-idUSKBN0OU15F20150615

Cedar

Online Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2015, 08:45:01 AM »
edit: this i was typing the following before the last 2 posts of you.

I have stoped worrying since some time ago becuase:
1. i have already done and prepared what I could with the limited resources i have.
2. I need to preserve my sanity first and mostly.

There are Sooo many scenarios, leaked info, directed news and leakages, and so many players playing such dirty games under the table, that to follow and access them all would drive anyone insane.
(this is why i refrain from keeping you updated, but if you want a hint the scenario of Greece leaving the Eurozone is played the even  days of the month)

But, falsely or not, I am optimistic that above all the perturbations of the poliical lakey's in the EU, lies geostrategics
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Edtor of the CNN
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2015, 08:50:27 AM »
1. i have already done and prepared what I could with the limited resources i have.
2. I need to preserve my sanity first and mostly.

And that is probably the best scenario... good on you.

Cedar

Offline Endurance

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2015, 09:00:55 AM »
Keep us in the loop as your sanity allows, greekman. Best wishes to you and yours for coming through this as comfortably as possible.

Offline Bonnieblue2A

• Survival Demonstrator
  • TSP Forum/MSB member
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2015, 11:55:31 AM »
Keep us in the loop as your sanity allows, greekman. Best wishes to you and yours for coming through this as comfortably as possible.

+1

We may all need to learn the lessons you do from this because it could happen here as well.

When small men cast long shadows it is a sure sign the sun is setting. ~ unknown

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world.” –U.S. Senator Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

When the poo hits the fan my dog will have just shredded the last roll of toilet paper.

Online Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2015, 12:57:58 PM »
anyone cares or a 4/5ths finished article on leasons learned (was about to be posted in a friendly American blog but i lost track of the manager)
Content in English
Facebook Page

Online Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2015, 09:27:33 AM »
Yesterday i stumbled on this analysis....
http://www.defence-point.gr/news/?p=130825

it is by a man to follow his writings and views. I hope Google translation does a semi-good job for you.

in short.
The IMF and the ERu have made unbearable and unrealistic demands. And they have been hardening their position even moreas time passes by.
The core of the analysis is that they are not confortable with the idea of a leftist goverment.
the initial plan was to drag the ruling party into a center-right position.
Now it seems their game is to force Greece to an electiona nd a (possible) change of goverment.

Do yoy know the feeling of the most people that have been really struck by the crisis?
"Apothaneto i psihi mou meta ton allofilon"
It is what Samson said when he drove down the temple
http://biblehub.com/judges/16-30.htm

Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Edtor of the CNN
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2015, 09:43:50 AM »
A crucial month for Greece: Timeline
http://dwc.cnbc.com/5Tr3h/index.html

Cedar

Online Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2015, 10:59:43 AM »
my timeline....

Jul 1st and no deal ....Hit the markets to buy things that would dissappear upon extit of the Eurozone. this will be my "5minutes to 12" shopping list.

Deal before June 30.... Hit the markets to buy groceries that will see a hike to 23% VAT (a definitive clause of the deal)

yep! things have boiled down to basic shopping
Content in English
Facebook Page