Author Topic: Kroger: Simple Truth  (Read 17030 times)

Offline vardaman

• Prepper
  • NABCEP Certified Solar Hot Water Installer
Kroger: Simple Truth
« on: March 11, 2012, 04:58:39 PM »
I've noticed that Kroger is promoting a new line of chicken and pork and they call it Simple Truth. On the label it states, no antibiotics, no added hormones, raised cage free (for chicken) and 100% vegetarian diet. Sorry, but pigs and chickens are omnivores. What they are actually saying is that the animals are fed 100% grain. Precisely the kind of food you want to avoid. I never cease to be amazed at the lengths marketers will go to.

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Kroger: Simple Truth
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 05:11:59 PM »
ahh but it sounds soo good to the sheople!

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The purpose of life is a life of purpose
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 05:24:13 PM »
Wow! Thanks for the information! I had no idea.
“The secret to staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.”

- Lucille Ball

Offline mrdan

• Survivor
  • If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 07:00:48 PM »
I know people who would demand that the chicken be 100% vegetarian. I get asked that question myself, "Are your chickens eating all vegetarian?" after I've explained that they are free range, pastured, etc. The assumption is that since I do some much for my chickens, I obviously feed them a vegetarian diet. My answer is, "No, they eat all kinds of things, including the leftover chicken from last nights dinner." That usually shuts them up.

Melodee

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 07:05:51 PM »
Reminds me of Paul Wheaton's video :-)

http://youtu.be/_DRgGlGIwMk

Offline Thom

• Survivor
  • WARNING: Not suitable for public consumption
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 07:22:52 PM »
I noticed that last week when we were in Kroger here in Middle TN.  I thought the same thing, "don't chickens eat a bit of everything?"  I don't know that I would go so far as to feed them the leftover chicken from dinner but, as far as I know, that's not bad for them or anything.  Just me applying human standards to animals.
I'm tired of having to filter the crazy out of the news.

Offline superman9219

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 09:03:19 PM »
Pls,don't ever believe anything on the packaging these companies use.kroger simple truth is actually perdue chicken in a different packaging .I actually packaged some at work Friday. To be honest the whole process of mass producing chickens sickens me. I didn't believe how bad it was until I worked there. As soon as I find another job I'm quiting there because honestly I feel guilty being a part of bringing this product to people.

Offline KellyAnn

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 07:18:01 PM »
I too had noticed that at Kroger this past weekend.  I admit I was taken in by the packaging....for about 20 seconds, until I finished reading the description of it's "benefits".
New packaging, but same old chicken.

Offline lindamh0

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 07:21:12 PM »
Well, I guess I am one of the sheople described, but I buy vegetarian fed chickens because they are not intentionally fed animal scraps.  Other than that, I don't really care if the chickens eat worms and bugs - worms and bugs don't usually carry diseases.   I also don't particularly care if Kroger is repackaging their chickens as long as the Purdue chickens or wherever they get it from is the same as advertised on the Kroger package.  I do object to them charging more for it if it is the same chicken.  I do not want extra antibiotics and hormones added to the meat or chicken and I am willing to pay a little more or even a lot more.  It is the recommendation of my oncologist that I should do so.

Offline zackandjen2004

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 08:20:59 PM »
While antibiotics are routine with industrial chicken production, hormones are not.  Never have been.  Our feed ration contains fish meal, but no rendered ruminants. 
Jesus Christ gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.  That is why the grace of God appeared to men.  It teaches us to say "no" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope--the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior.  ---Titus 2:11-14

Offline mrdan

• Survivor
  • If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid.
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 08:04:44 AM »
Well, I guess I am one of the sheople described, but I buy vegetarian fed chickens because they are not intentionally fed animal scraps.  Other than that, I don't really care if the chickens eat worms and bugs - worms and bugs don't usually carry diseases.   I also don't particularly care if Kroger is repackaging their chickens as long as the Purdue chickens or wherever they get it from is the same as advertised on the Kroger package.  I do object to them charging more for it if it is the same chicken.  I do not want extra antibiotics and hormones added to the meat or chicken and I am willing to pay a little more or even a lot more.  It is the recommendation of my oncologist that I should do so.

Welcome to the forum.

You have to make the best decision you can based on the info you have. That doesn't make you a sheeple. One thing to keep in mind though is that vegetarian fed doesn't automatically mean no antibiotic.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 11:04:24 AM »
What they are actually saying is that the animals are fed 100% grain. Precisely the kind of food you want to avoid.

What they are actually saying is that they are feeding corn with a little grain, but can you please explain why this should be avoided?  Good quality feeds are usually pretty well balanced, what would you add to balance them better in your opinion?

One thing to keep in mind though is that vegetarian fed doesn't automatically mean no antibiotic.

In fact, most commercial operations must feed antibiotics (in the water or in the feed) to control sickness.  This is usually due to two components; lots of animals in a confined space and feeding for growth in a very short period of time.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:12:37 AM by nelson96 »
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline zackandjen2004

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 09:59:40 AM »
Adding to what nelson96 has posted in response to vardaman:
           Chickens are omnivores.  So are turkeys.  The seed heads of grasses/grains are concentrated sources of nutrients.  Corn, like other seed heads, is highly concentrated energy.  Although the low-carb/paleo paradigm does not recommend that HUMANS make these starchy, calorie-dense grains a dietary staple, poultry can and do utilize these efficiently.  They are NOT ruminants.  Chickens do not eat grass and make eggs.  They eat grass/vegtables, seed heads/vegetable seeds, worms/bugs of ALL kinds, fungal hyphae, shrub buds, sprouted/immature seedlings, roots, soil, and WHATEVER ELSE they can get their beaks on.  I know because I raise chickens and have seen them consume all these things, including mice and their own eggs (if the egg gets cracked there's an instinctual feeding frenzy).   If confined in a chicken tractor, coop, fence, or cafo, a chicken will need good concentrated, balanced nutrition to produce eggs....since they are unable to harvest all their required calories/nutrients from Nature's banquet.  Chickens only produce when all their nutritional needs have been met.  Feeding confined chickens corn/grain is a convenient and relatively cost-efficient way to provide them with those calories.  Additionally, protein is absolutely critical.  The most common way to provide this is with some kind of soybean, with roasted being the preferred form, or OTHER pea or bean (yellow pigeon pea, fava bean, etc.)  There are other options for protein, like meat scaps or dairy products (if you're feeding a backyard flock).  Then there are mineral considerations, with calcium being of primary importance. 

The BEST way to control your egg supply is to keep your own chickens and feed them according to their nutritional needs, your budget, and your values.  The next best way is to find a local farmer or backyard flockster and patronize them, since they will be able to tell you exactly what they're feeding. 

As for antibiotics, I don't feed preventative doses of them to my layers or broilers.  Only if I observed a flock-wide outbreak would I treat for something like coccidiosis.  I have losses.  Some chickens die if they succumb to a disease that others are able to shake off...much like people.  The pastured model can be tough on birds.  My broilers are huddled in their pen because we're having a cold snap.  If they were in a climate-controlled cafo, they wouldn't be under any temperature stress. 
Jesus Christ gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.  That is why the grace of God appeared to men.  It teaches us to say "no" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope--the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior.  ---Titus 2:11-14

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 10:20:17 AM »
Aren't the vegetarians they are eating 100% meat?

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

"There's this new thing called Situational Awareness!"  Sterling Archer

Offline Outdoorfury

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Si vis pacem para bellum
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 12:08:10 PM »
It reminds me how out of touch people are with there food. Hard to blame them with how our society is heading. I truthfully never considered what my chicken ate when i used to eat the spicy chicken sandwich from wendy's. I just cared about how spicy it was!

Seriously though after raising chickens i have a new point of view.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death! Patrick Henry

"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time" Bob Marley

"I can't surrender. I don't know how!" Captain America

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 06:15:59 PM »
It reminds me how out of touch people are with there food. Hard to blame them with how our society is heading. I truthfully never considered what my chicken ate when i used to eat the spicy chicken sandwich from wendy's. I just cared about how spicy it was!

To that point.  Did you know that Chicken Processors are allowed to add up to 50% water to the meat they sell in stores?  This was told to me by the owner of a company that does a lot of work for local chicken plants. . . .  Hopefully it's just water, and good clean water.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline Outdoorfury

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 09:53:48 AM »
To that point.  Did you know that Chicken Processors are allowed to add up to 50% water to the meat they sell in stores?  This was told to me by the owner of a company that does a lot of work for local chicken plants. . . .  Hopefully it's just water, and good clean water.
Thats ew yuck and costing us more cash! It reminds me of buying cereal. Same sized box with less cereal in box...
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death! Patrick Henry

"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time" Bob Marley

Offline KellyAnn

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 11:13:21 AM »
(Resurrecting this post because I've changed my opinion.)
I shop at Kroger often, and have been watching their "Simple Truth" items.  In particular their chicken, but a handful of their other items too.
The chicken now has teamed up with a program called "HarvestMark" that will let you track the origin of the product you're buying.  I've been buying the Simple Truth chicken, usually the free range organic, but sometimes just the regular organic if the free range doesn't have what we want.
Looking up the product through harvestmark.com has actually answered some of the concerns I had about the "how is it 100% vegetarian feed if it's free range" question.
It appears from the website that the free range product actually is free range, and has the ability to go hunting around for bugs & critters, but the feed that is provided to them is grain based.
For myself and my husband, I think this is good enough, and certainly a much better option than the conventionally raised product.  I do understand why people still might choose to not to buy this chicken, and would get something pasture raised or something like that, but for us that really just isn't an option.
It's like something Jack said in one of his recent episodes, it's about buying the best possible option based on what's available where you shop (paraphrasing here of course).
The chicken smells better than the conventional stuff.  It doesn't smell like anything at all really.
My husband has also commented that it was some of the best tasting chicken we'd bought lately (he didn't know it was free-range).

I'm still very suspicious of their packaging on this line particularly on their milk, which despite being labeled organic, doesn't have the rBGH disclaimer on it.  I'm currently buying our milk from a different store that sells a brand I trust to be what I want it to be, or Whole Foods (whole paycheck) that sells milk from a local farm (not organic certified, but raised in a good way).

Offline Outdoorfury

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 12:03:06 PM »
(Resurrecting this post because I've changed my opinion.)
I shop at Kroger often, and have been watching their "Simple Truth" items.  In particular their chicken, but a handful of their other items too.
The chicken now has teamed up with a program called "HarvestMark" that will let you track the origin of the product you're buying.  I've been buying the Simple Truth chicken, usually the free range organic, but sometimes just the regular organic if the free range doesn't have what we want.
Looking up the product through harvestmark.com has actually answered some of the concerns I had about the "how is it 100% vegetarian feed if it's free range" question.

Chickens need protein to make eggs, get fat, etc. I am thinking that they are not allowed to be a chicken if this is the case? Could nuke all the bugs with bug killer?

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 12:39:33 PM »
Feeds I have fed over the years. My chickens tend NOT to be free range.

No meat protein.

No meat protein.

I do NOT feeds which contain meat protein like this label does...

This is the rendering products from downer cows/sheep/chickens/companion pets, what-have-you...no thanks. Not to mention I LOATHE BHT, BHA and Ethoquin.

Cedar

"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 01:37:47 PM »
@Cedar

I know we're getting in the weeds (off thread topic), but I was wondering what you thought about the feed we use (see link).  My wife likes the fact that they get Omega 3 fatty acids (for lots of reasons).  She says we don't eat enough Omega 3 fatty acids.  We also try and let them roam the barnyard for about 4 hours every evening. . . .  This is ALL they get.

Purina Layena PLUS Omega 3
http://www.poultry.purinamills.com/OURPRODUCTS/Products/LayenaPlusOmega3/default.aspx
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:53:50 PM by nelson96 »
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 01:56:52 PM »
Other than this -- FREE FROM ADDED ANIMAL PROTEINS OR ANIMAL FATS. Contact your local manufacturing plant for a current feed tag, I can't tell you anything as that is not telling me what is in it. Protein is right. :o/

Can you get a feed tag photo and post it?

Cedar

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 02:09:36 PM »
Other than this -- FREE FROM ADDED ANIMAL PROTEINS OR ANIMAL FATS. Contact your local manufacturing plant for a current feed tag, I can't tell you anything as that is not telling me what is in it. Protein is right. :o/

Can you get a feed tag photo and post it?

How's this?  Not very easy to read.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 02:59:04 PM »
I would feed that. I like that it has flax in it. The grain I get for my livestock is from a local mill and all Oregon-sourced so I use that.

Cedar - who doesn't need glasses ;op

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 03:07:39 PM »
I would feed that. I like that it has flax in it. The grain I get for my livestock is from a local mill and all Oregon-sourced so I use that.

Cedar - who doesn't need glasses ;op

Flaxseed must be what is attributing to the Omega 3. . . .  Thank you.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 03:53:22 PM »
Yes it is....

and up in Canada 3 of us farms were bringing in organic whole peas, wheat and barley to mix for our flocks for awhile. They did good on it. But we had to bring it in from AB, so we somehow stopped doing that. Gas prices I think...

Cedar

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 03:59:39 PM »
I know people who would demand that the chicken be 100% vegetarian. I get asked that question myself, "Are your chickens eating all vegetarian?" after I've explained that they are free range, pastured, etc. The assumption is that since I do some much for my chickens, I obviously feed them a vegetarian diet. My answer is, "No, they eat all kinds of things, including the leftover chicken from last nights dinner." That usually shuts them up.

MMMMM MMMMMMM Re-fried chicken!!!

Or is that Twice Baked Chicken...

I wonder what would happen if you fed chickens nothing but chicken, and then fed their offspring the previous generation of chicken meat — after say about 10 generations...

I wonder if it would be equivalent of making a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of some VHS tape!
Listen to my podcast — The Uncomfortable Truth
(shameless plug)
http://www.theuncomfortabletruth.com

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 04:02:14 PM »
Yes it is....

and up in Canada 3 of us farms were bringing in organic whole peas, wheat and barley to mix for our flocks for awhile. They did good on it. But we had to bring it in from AB, so we somehow stopped doing that. Gas prices I think...

Cedar

We supplement peas to our cattle.  They do excellent on it and it helps us use cheaper feeds (such as grass seed screening pellets) for the bulk of their diet.  Douglas County Co-op (Roseburg) handles it and sells to a few small feed supply stores in my area.

Sorry, getting in the weeds again.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 04:06:01 PM »
I wonder what would happen if you fed chickens nothing but chicken, and then fed their offspring the previous generation of chicken meat — after say about 10 generations...

I will find my post just about that.. you will not eat commercial chicken again...

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 04:11:38 PM »

Found it http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3.msg303549#msg303549
The reason Salmonella is in the eggs, is it is now essentially part of their genetic makeup from poor feeding practices.

Cedar