Author Topic: what is the best way to store salt for LTS?  (Read 3016 times)

Offline ritchfan

• Prepper
what is the best way to store salt for LTS?
« on: March 13, 2012, 11:49:54 AM »
I anticipate salt would last forever....but it is hydroscopic so i dont want to just store packs of salt in the cardboard cans they come in.
i would like to put in 5 gallon buckets. Questions: (1) do you need mylar bags?  (2) would the salt corrode the mylar bags?
 (3) can i put in with the preps (i.e. pour in some loose salt with the dry beans into the 5 gallon bucket...you beans will need salt haha)

any thoughts would be appreciated...

Bobby

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: what is the best way to store salt for LTS?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 11:59:57 AM »
I just dump it in the bucket and seal it. Keep it in a dry place but even if it does clump, you can chip it. It will stay good forever.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline ritchfan

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 12:05:45 PM »
great thanks very much.

what do you think about putting some in to "fill the cracks" with the dry beans?
will salt corrode the mylar bags?

Bobby

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 12:08:15 PM »
You could.. I wonder though if long term.. if the salt would pull in more moisture and compromise the beans. I just like keeping all my products separate.

Cedar

Offline letlovegrow1125

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 12:38:01 PM »
I vaccum seal mine in Foodsaver bags, two cans in each. I like doing meal sized amount bags of pretty much anything, beans, rice, popcorn, oatmeal that way I don't have to break the seal on a 40lb bucket of something lol. I wouldn't put salt in with the anything, might compromise the storage life JMO.
God grant me the serenity.

Offline ritchfan

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 01:52:57 PM »
thanks y'all for the responses. I think i will just keep the salt to itself and not store it with anything.

I think I will put in 2 liter bottles or maybe even smaller bottles in the bucket.  makes it easier to pour and take out just what you need for a while.

anyone store sugar too?  need a mylar bag and o2 absorber for sugar or just in the bucket?

Thanks again, what a great resource this is!

Bobby & Harold, the Hedgehog

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 01:56:31 PM »
anyone store sugar too? 

I stored my white sugar in the largest sized metal garbage cans there was (new of course). I usually had 400 pounds of white sugar on hand a year when I was up in Canada. But that is not for LTS, but rotation. It, like salt will not go bad either. I think I only have about 150 pounds right now (but I store white, brown, raw, agave, honey, molasses, etc as well), but will be bringing in more soon. Canning season is coming.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 01:59:43 PM »
I was wondering about the Hedgehog LOL.. Harold is a nice name for one

Cedar

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 02:18:52 PM »
Salt will draw moisture out of the air.  found that one the hard way.  Had some cans that I used of dead sea salt and had a puddle under the bucket.  Dried it in the oven and some in the sun both worked out well (that was for the course salt)  Fine salt felt like melted slushy snow and had even a bigger puddle in it.  Tried to dry some but took way to long then crystalized so just chucked it.  I would think that all salt would act the same way for the most part. 

Sugar I have heard and read over and over that you should not add O2 absorbers it will make the sugar hard and unusable.  So I just keep mine in a bucket with a gama gasket lid.  It's been stored over a year and is fine that way.  Also have some vac sealed.  I put it in small brown lunch sacks first shaped into brick form then put in vac bag and sealed.  They stack very well that way.  I also have some vac sealed in jars.  Brown sugar I just store in a crock with a lid and put a cracker in it.  Have some that has been stored that way for over 2 yrs.  It's fine still moist and all.  I also have some sugar just still in the bag it came in with no problems.  I am guessing that you can store it what ever way works best for you and you should be fine.

just my 2 cents
There is no $50 job that I can't do without a $100 worth of new tools.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 02:23:09 PM »
at the LDS cannery, sugar is the one item that does not get an oxy pack in the can.  for what it is worth.
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline ritchfan

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 02:28:26 PM »
Good info...thx for that.

I am hoping to go visit the LDS cannery in Houston soon.
I spoke with them on the phone and they were super nice.

Bobby

Offline YoungGunsPrepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 10:57:17 AM »
I anticipate salt would last forever....but it is hydroscopic so i dont want to just store packs of salt in the cardboard cans they come in.
i would like to put in 5 gallon buckets. Questions: (1) do you need mylar bags?  (2) would the salt corrode the mylar bags?
 (3) can i put in with the preps (i.e. pour in some loose salt with the dry beans into the 5 gallon bucket...you beans will need salt haha)

any thoughts would be appreciated...

Bobby

I store my salt in plastic ziploc bags then seal them in a 5 gallon bucket, in the individual bags add a little bit of rice in them it helps absorb any moisture that may seep in over time and it prevents the salt from clumbing. Thats what I do personally and I have no problem with the salt clumping up.
"Leaders are made and not born, But great men are born and re born"

Offline Ronin4hire

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chance favours the prepared mind.
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 12:15:14 PM »
I can attest by personal experience, that its BAD to use O2 absorbers in storing sugar-
Had a large batch of gallon jars that I was sealing for rice, pintos and sugar one afternoon.
Filled them, topped with a coffee filter, dessicant pack and O2 absorber and tighten the lids.
OOPS!  forgot the sugar wasnt supposed to get the absorbers....  but that was 2 days later   >:(
Still cant crank off the lids, and the sugar inside is hard as a rock    :-[
Left the 2 gallon jars on the shelf but drilled a small vent hole to break the seal & taped over it.
Gonna try a couple strap wrenches on it eventually to get those lids off and chip out some sugar rocks
For now they are visual reminders of a lesson learned, at the risk of  #12 of sugar

I like the pop bottle & added rice ideas for salt, gonna give that a try.   THANKS!

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 12:17:34 PM »
Left the 2 gallon jars on the shelf but drilled a small vent hole to break the seal & taped over it.
Gonna try a couple strap wrenches on it eventually to get those lids off and chip out some sugar rocks
For now they are visual reminders of a lesson learned, at the risk of  #12 of sugar

Why not leave them like that for LTS? Unless you rotate?

Cedar

Offline Ronin4hire

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chance favours the prepared mind.
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 08:43:35 AM »
I plan to rotate the larger mylar sealed volumes thru the jars and into the pantry.  (25# bulk fits to 4 jars)
While I admit its just procrastination not fixing the mistake made, Im liking the LTS designation!!!