Author Topic: What do you fish for?  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Kilted Brewer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: What do you fish for?
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2012, 05:00:32 PM »
Both sport and food- there are consumption advisories on all the waters I fish, so I only keep them if I'm going to eat them that night AND I haven't kept/eaten anything that would put me at odds with the guidelines.

That usually means I keep a few bass each winter from ice fishing, when the flesh is nice and firm, and have a delicious fry.  The rest go back.

Species are usually trout, bass, sunnies, perch, pickerel and land lock Salmon.  I'd like to start fishing for Atlantic salmon and stripped bass, but that's a whole ' set of gear and tying supplies.

I prefer fly fishing, but I'm no snob- I'll happily chuck bait or whatever else may be required to entice the fish to let me look at them up close and personal for a few seconds.  I love hiking back into big woods and disappearing for a few days to fish, but I'm almost as happy on a friends boat with a cooler of beer.

Fishing is kind of like bacon that way I think.  Some is better, sure... but none of it's bad, right?

Offline katunk

• Prepper
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2012, 07:51:40 AM »
Bass, catfish, bluegill, and now rainbow trout. Fresh water fisherman in south TX.

The wildlife department is stocking rainbow trout in various lakes to be fished out at a rate of five a day (they don't live thru the summers here so it's keep what you catch with them). Food saver the extras and put 'em in the freezer.

It's all sport fishing to me unless the catch is large enough to eat then...

Regards

Offline DieselMcStacked

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Beast Mode Supreme
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 11:22:09 AM »
Summer is mostly smallmouth bass, sometimes walleye. Winter is all perch. Almost everything ends up on the plate. I only started eating smallmouth a couple years ago. To me, it's as good as walleye. Plus they're easier to catch and a better fight.

Offline Downeastwaves

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 07:59:58 PM »
We fished for mackerel last summer. Free Food! Fresh from the sea! Not even a fishing license needed (as of last summer)

Let me tell you they ARE YUMMY. We still have some in the freezer....

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 10:11:25 PM »
I used to tournament bass fish, but that was purely for sport...and the money when I would happen place. ;D   But nowadays I tend to fish more for the table, with my preference being crappie/goggle eye.  I probably have more invested in my tackle boxes than I do my jewelry box.  8)

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2013, 07:31:30 AM »
Summer is mostly smallmouth bass, sometimes walleye. Winter is all perch. Almost everything ends up on the plate. I only started eating smallmouth a couple years ago. To me, it's as good as walleye. Plus they're easier to catch and a better fight.

After they stop slinging the trout in WV, I fall back to smallies.   All summer long, pound for pound the best fightin' fish I go for.   I usually toss everything back in, but that's not to say I wouldn't eat one if the mood struck me.
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline dep190

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2013, 08:39:34 AM »
The question and answers can very on locations fished!

In Ohio you can travel to Lake Erie and catch walleye and perch easily!
The state Fishing regulations however have warnings about consuming cat fish and suckers do to some contamination in certain waters!
Ohio has numerous lakes and ponds that have abundant populations of bass and bluegills and sunfish wich make fine meals!