Author Topic: Does bucket color matter for food storage?  (Read 3692 times)

Offline NightOwl

• Senior Survivalist
Does bucket color matter for food storage?
« on: March 01, 2009, 10:25:31 PM »
I looked at 5 gallon buckets at Lowes yesterday.  Need some for food storage.  They were a bit under $3 plus an extra dollar for the easy-off lid, which seems reasonable considering how they aren't coated in donut frosting that has to be scrubbed off with Dawn in the bathtub.

But there was a problem:  The buckets were all grey!  (Not counting the overpriced translucent buckets with squishy handles.)  I'm used to seeing white for buckets meant to hold food.

Is whatever makes them grey going to cause a problem?  Does it really matter anyway?  Should I even trust buckets from a home improvement store?  It doesn't say "food grade" anywhere.

Maybe I should visit the donut shop again.  A dollar each with heavy gasketed lid, and known to have previously held food safely.  But they're a gallon short and smell like frosting...

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
Re: Does bucket color matter for food storage?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 12:00:32 AM »
Actually I would think that the grey buckets would keep more light out of your foodstuffs which is better for LTFS. Enjoy the buckets!

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 12:15:55 AM »
There was a discussion here a while back about the dye used in coloring the buckets.  IIRC, the suggestion was to let them sit awhile, assuming they hadn't already been sitting & were newly manufactured, so that any out gassing could occur before sealing.

I personally don't think there's much to be concerned about.  They've already been sitting out & they've had to travel quite a while to get to wherever they're going anyway so they've had time to air out.  If you're planning on sealing your food in mylar or something similar any small risk should be negated anyway as the packaging isn't air or gas permeable.

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 12:25:16 AM »
White is for grains. Orange is for salt/sugar. Green is for pasta.  ;D

Offline ElyasWolff

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 08:38:47 PM »
White and blue are the colors used for food grade storage. As long as you seal your food in Mylar you are g2g!

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 08:44:27 PM »
I use color coating to help me remember things. I have a lot of white buckets for mylar storage, but I have recently bought a green and black one. The black bucket is the first one to be used, not only for what is in it, but afterward it can be filled with water and allowed to heat in the Sun. The green bucket is for my rotation stock, and in an emergency...well...lets just say it has some garbage bags in it as well.