Author Topic: Looking for partner/mentor in OR area  (Read 5360 times)

Offline jcarsey

• Prepper
Looking for partner/mentor in OR area
« on: March 19, 2012, 03:38:51 PM »
I am in OR and I am looking to do some hunting.  I have never been before.  I grew up a camper and fishing, but never hunting.  Not sure on why, but none of the relatives do that.  Looking for a mentor who wouldnt mind showing someone the ropes.

and aparently I plan in advance based on when I am posting this...

Thanks!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Looking for partner/mentor in OR area
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 04:18:46 PM »
What are you going after for the type of beast? Deer, elk, grouse, turkey???

Cedar

Offline jcarsey

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 11:59:24 AM »
I am more interested in deer, elk, and the like. 

This is primarily because I do not have a shotgun that is apropriate for hunting game.  I did see a guy climbing into his car with a shotgun and a bunch of fowl (ducks I think) about a mile from my house.  I wished that I had time to stop and talk, but ...

nelson96

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 02:49:16 PM »
I don't want to sound like a snob, but more of a bio on you would be good to put people at ease (ya know, the guns and strangers thing).  And what's the closest city to your location?

Offline jcarsey

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 11:12:53 PM »
Not a snob at all.  I am new to this forum (and to most forums), so still figuring out how to do all the initial set up things.  Please - be safe.  I don't want to be part of or near any gun-related injury myself.

I am near Portland pretty much. I am all in Beaverton, Portland, and Hillsboro in the course of every week.

nelson96

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 07:56:57 AM »
J . . .  You live way north of me but you are welcome to email or pm me any time if you have questions about hunting. 

Offline RUReady

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 10:16:48 AM »
I live on the other side of the Mt Hood. When in eastern OR do not tell anyone you are from Portland. What area in OR are planning to hunt? It's hard to hunt public land, most of the best hunting is private lands. I have a great ranch to hunt on(I do mechanic work for the owner) and last year shot a doe, buck and cow elk. filled the freezer with the best eating meat.

Dave

nelson96

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 10:46:40 AM »
It's hard to hunt public land, most of the best hunting is private lands.

I would have to disagree with that.  And if you don't have access to a ranch via friends, family, or employer, it can get pretty spendy. . . .  I typically deer hunt in central Oregon and elk hunt in eastern Oregon and have had great success hunting on public land.  Oregon has a lot of what is considered WILDERNESS (public land) and it is great hunting.  When I hunt wilderness land I can often hunt from dark to dark without crossing a road or running in to another hunter (big plus in my book).  That said, I have also successfully hunted for many years on private land out her in the west and had great success.  Primarily that consisted of hunting on private timber lands (owned by corporations).  Many (but not all) of those land owners allow hunting on them at no cost or filing of paperwork of any kind.

Offline RUReady

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 02:26:41 PM »
You are right, there are no roads in the(wilderness areas) and that is why I can't hunt them. I can't hike anymore, the wilderness areas are for the limited people that are young or people with good legs or have enough money to have horses. The public lands should be for everyone.
My .02
Dave

nelson96

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 02:41:39 PM »
You are right, there are no roads in the(wilderness areas) and that is why I can't hunt them. I can't hike anymore, the wilderness areas are for the limited people that are young or people with good legs or have enough money to have horses. The public lands should be for everyone.

I hope I'm not offending (not my intention) but, we have older guys that can't walk far and other guys that are partially disabled, hunting with us all the time when we hunt wilderness. . . . Often, there are many closed roads that cross or enter in to wilderness areas.  These are perfect for the person that can't walk on uneven ground.  Even more often there are very good hiking trails too that offer good footing.  If you can't walk at all you can drive a road that borders the wilderness area . . . .  My brother and I carefully plan out hunts to end up at a point that one of these guys are at (usually end up with multiple choices depending on how many guys are hunting with us) so that we can get picked up and driven back to camp.  There has been many times that we have pushed elk right to them.

For deer hunting, at least 75% of our party hunt out of their vehicles.  They drive on BLM (public land) via dirt and gravel roads that are scattered for miles and miles.  You can literally hunt for a week and not drive the same road twice if you choose to.

AND, Oregon also has a lot of ATV designated trails, often surrunding "wilderness".  These ATV trails also go for miles and miles.

Go to your local Forrest Service Ranger Station and they can provide maps that show you where all these are.  The choices are many. . .  When I hunt wilderness, I prefer to use their "fire map".
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 02:52:15 PM by nelson96 »

Offline clayfarmer

• Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 03:29:37 PM »
I am in OR and I am looking to do some hunting.  I have never been before.  I grew up a camper and fishing, but never hunting.  Not sure on why, but none of the relatives do that.  Looking for a mentor who wouldnt mind showing someone the ropes.

I commend you for reaching out and looking for help!  Hunting is one of those things that is really hard to get into if you don't have someone to help get you started.  Hunting with an experienced hunter will literally knock years off the learning curve, and save you a lot of money and frustration.

That being said, I'm in IL but if there's anything I can do to help, questions I can answer, etc, don't hesitate to ask. 

Offline dmprepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »

Question for you OR hunters:  I currently live in WA where I been hunting big game/upland birds for 15 or so years.  I'm close to retiring and we're thinking of settling in OR but I hate the thought of loosing all my WA hunting knowledge/connections/drawing points, etc if we do.  One of my partners told me all hunting in OR is by drawings.  Is that true?  Up here they have both special hunt drawings for specific hunts for specific species, in order to cull the herds (game management), etc.  If not drawn you accumulate points each year to increase odds the next.  In addition, they have general seasons where all can partake without being drawn but these are somewhat limited, for example east side, spike only elk, depending on which game management unit your hunting in.  Is it similar in OR or do you have to be drawn for all hunts?  I've looked at the regs online and hard copy but...  Thanks for the help. 

nelson96

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 10:22:46 AM »
Question for you OR hunters:  I currently live in WA where I been hunting big game/upland birds for 15 or so years.  I'm close to retiring and we're thinking of settling in OR but I hate the thought of loosing all my WA hunting knowledge/connections/drawing points, etc if we do.  One of my partners told me all hunting in OR is by drawings.  Is that true?  Up here they have both special hunt drawings for specific hunts for specific species, in order to cull the herds (game management), etc.  If not drawn you accumulate points each year to increase odds the next.  In addition, they have general seasons where all can partake without being drawn but these are somewhat limited, for example east side, spike only elk, depending on which game management unit your hunting in.  Is it similar in OR or do you have to be drawn for all hunts?  I've looked at the regs online and hard copy but...  Thanks for the help.

OR is nearly identical to WA. . . .  Yes, we have a point system for "draw" hunts, and we have many "general" over-the-counter hunts available too.