Author Topic: Need assistance on new knife purchase  (Read 3847 times)

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
Need assistance on new knife purchase
« on: March 22, 2012, 09:19:20 PM »
All you knife gurus, I need your help. I want to buy a large knife (10"+ blade). this will be used for backpacking trips where I can use it to split firewood (batoning), chopping tasks (downing trees), and any othe task that a big knife can perform. i have narrowed it down to the buck hoodlum and the ontario RTAK-II.

thoughts? opinions? any others I've missed? got to hell spooky, you bother me?
Light, Lean, Lethal.
This is my aim

Offline UA8

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Need assistance on new knife purchase
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 11:56:29 PM »
All you knife gurus, I need your help. I want to buy a large knife (10"+ blade). this will be used for backpacking trips where I can use it to split firewood (batoning), chopping tasks (downing trees), and any othe task that a big knife can perform. i have narrowed it down to the buck hoodlum and the ontario RTAK-II.

IMO although the RTAK II is a good knife the ESEE Junglas is a step up if you are going for a heavy chopping blade, I would strongly recommend if for better heat treat, edge retention, and overall fit and finish. As to what knife to go with. If weight of your load out matters to you then the Hoodlum is the way to go it is significantly lighter than the other options and from what I hear the edge retention is second to none in the blade length. The only thing that the hoodlum gives up in loss of weight is that it won't bite as deep when chopping. As for the Junglas/ RTAK they are both excellent although heavier options.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 12:30:01 AM »

What's your budget?

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 02:22:04 AM »
bidget, is max $250 but for tha kind of money it BETTER have a 100% lifetime guarantee
Light, Lean, Lethal.
This is my aim

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 02:57:23 AM »
Seems that basically "chopping wood" dominates your chores; $250 will buy about twenty Tramontina 12" machetes. You could buy two or three and save about $200 and cut a small mountain of wood before you wear them out.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 09:29:17 AM »
Honestly?

Save your cash and buy an axe.  A knife should not, IMNSHO, be purchased for doing heavy tasks such as the ones you're indicating.  Not only will you save quite a bit of money (even if you go the Gransfors Brux route. . I'd suggest the Scandinavian Forest Axe or the Small Forest Axe), you won't bust your budget AND you'll have a tool designed specifically for the tasks you want to accomplish.  They won't weigh much more, either.

Or, spend $40 and get one from your local hardware store.

No, they're not as sexy, but they're designed to do the work and you'll do it more safely.

Just a thought.

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 09:36:06 AM »
Chopping wood?  My money would go to a machete (I'm very partial to Ontario or Condor), an Estwing hatchet, or a Tomahawk.  Knives weren't built to be wood chopping tools.   Axes were.  Knives that do give up a lot of precision that makes them so handy for so many other tasks.

Look at Condor Tool and Knife.  Fairly priced, well made, and you can find a blade to fit most needs.  Some may need a little touching up on the edge, but all are solid values.  I hear many good things about their Golocks.

Oh and go to hell spooky.  You bother me.  ;D

Offline UA8

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 11:03:55 PM »
Honestly?

Save your cash and buy an axe.  A knife should not, IMNSHO, be purchased for doing heavy tasks such as the ones you're indicating.  Not only will you save quite a bit of money (even if you go the Gransfors Brux route. . I'd suggest the Scandinavian Forest Axe or the Small Forest Axe), you won't bust your budget AND you'll have a tool designed specifically for the tasks you want to accomplish.  They won't weigh much more, either.

Or, spend $40 and get one from your local hardware store.

No, they're not as sexy, but they're designed to do the work and you'll do it more safely.

Just a thought.

The Professor

Disagree completely on the safety of a hatchet or axe.  I have seen people bounce them off logs into their shins and fingers tons of times.  It is a thousand times safer to baton a knife through a log than split with a hatchet.  And a large knife can do the tasks a small hatchet can do and the tasks a knife can do as well a hatchet can only do what it can do. You can't skin or whittle with a hatchet.  In addition you are adding weight and reducing utility with a hatchet.

If you need to cut wood into smaller pieces to split use a saw.  More effective and cleaner (leaves a  flat surface to split) than an axe of knife. 

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 04:16:40 PM »
I have amachete (Cold Steel Bolo0 but do not want to use it for batoning, won't it end sice te blade thickness is so small? seems to me a ticker blade is the trick
Light, Lean, Lethal.
This is my aim

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 06:57:59 PM »
Looking for something that don't cost an arm or a leg - I kind of like real Kukri knifes. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kukri

Now if you don't respect their edge they could take an arm or a leg.

I kind of like the k-bar version from http://www.khukuriblades.com/
http://www.khukuriblades.com/products/details.php?id=313730fc98

Note:  shipping is not cheap - and if they are out - of -stock of raw materials the lead times can be long.  However; I did order their smaller k-bar version - after some issues with the sheaf material I ended getting "up sized". 

However; you should be able to batoning with a chunk of wood without too much worry.

Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 07:35:50 PM »
Disagree completely on the safety of a hatchet or axe.  I have seen people bounce them off logs into their shins and fingers tons of times.  It is a thousand times safer to baton a knife through a log than split with a hatchet.  And a large knife can do the tasks a small hatchet can do and the tasks a knife can do as well a hatchet can only do what it can do. You can't skin or whittle with a hatchet.  In addition you are adding weight and reducing utility with a hatchet.

If you need to cut wood into smaller pieces to split use a saw.  More effective and cleaner (leaves a flat surface to split) than an axe of knife.

Sorry guys, I have to agree with UA8 on this one . . .  That said If money is not an object, I have to go with the Hoodlum for the reason that you can take the grips off and tie the knife to a stick to fasion in to a spear.  Many other features as well, pretty darn nice knife. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFjuIzuDmJs

Also, you could help out a fellow TSP'r and go with the Camillus, Becker Knife and Tool BK1 Brute . . . .

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=32934.0

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 07:58:17 PM by nelson96 »
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 06:40:16 PM »
If you want a real Kukri . . .

http://www.khukurihouseonline.com

Both the Utility and Survival series are built to take some real punishment.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 06:53:34 PM »
Becker BK9 should be on your list. Hard to beat for the money. I would also look at the Kabar heavy and /or cutlas machete.

Junglas is also a nice chopper.

(My dad put an axe through his foot splitting wood in the backyard....)

Honestly, a good buck saw is usually faster / easier for most wood than chopping.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 11:00:56 PM »
Interesting answers from everyone. All valid. Just to stir the pot some I carry a double bit forester axe for heavy chopping, a machete for limbs and brush work and a fixed blade knife for other duties. Currently I'm trying out a Coldsteel Bushman just to see how I like it overall. All these items together fit well within your budget. The only other issue is loadout weight.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

"Survival is a form of rebellion, living is the punishment" Mr. Smith from the movie "The Way Back"

"Those who would give up freedom for a little security deserve neither" Ben Franklin

Ride hard as you can, rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thouroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "man what a ride!" Author unknown

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 03:57:16 PM »
decieded togo with an esee junglas, in the mail now, should get it by end of the week. we will see how it goes...
Light, Lean, Lethal.
This is my aim

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 05:58:10 AM »
that looks like a nice blade! wow, wish I would have known about this one, i've been reasearching the poop out of the junglas and hoodlum for the last few weeks!
Light, Lean, Lethal.
This is my aim

Offline UA8

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 07:05:50 AM »
that looks like a nice blade! wow, wish I would have known about this one, i've been reasearching the poop out of the junglas and hoodlum for the last few weeks!

Had I not been following equip 2 endure on youtube I wouldn't have known about it either. It was totally by chance that I happened to catch it. For some reason when I saw it I knew that was the knife I wanted, bit the bullet and signed up for the preorder.

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 03:12:40 PM »
well I finally got my ESSE Junglas and so far I like it, keep in mind I am judging it on looks and feel alone, have not yet put it through its paces. I added my own "flair" (DMT sharpeners, and an Exotac ferro rod) for 2 reasons:

1. I think some of these items belong with a knife
2. Everyone should be like Fonzie and "be cool..."

sorry about the lighting I am in my basement
Light, Lean, Lethal.
This is my aim

Offline RazorCityDen

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 03:44:02 PM »

If you need to cut wood into smaller pieces to split use a saw.  More effective and cleaner (leaves a  flat surface to split) than an axe of knife.

Yep, me too, but maybe it's just the fact that many folks don't have much skill with hand tools in general.

Having owned a bunch of hatchets and big knives over the years, I think the big knives 10"+ cut faster and are definitely more versatile than a hatchet for shelter building, fire starting and other bushcraft task. Especially if your going to carry only one cutting tool. I've lost count of the number of small critters I've worked down with large knives and sure you have to choke up and be carefull, but it's not a big deal. Try that with a hatchet, I know you can worry though it (I've done it) but it's definitely a different class of suck. 

Between the two knives listed, your in luck I've owned and used both. I wanted to like the Buck Hoodlum, I've been a Ron Hood fan for years and spent a fair amount of time around him. Ron Hood was why I bought my first large Busse and retired my Buck Frontiersman and Case Bowie many, many moons ago. God rest his soul and be with Karen  :(

However, the knife just never cut it for me (pun intended ;D) Steel is fine, quality was fine and it's a great value, but I just didn't care for how it felt in the hand when I was using it. It just felt too light to me and I know the curved handle is supposed to be ergo, but it was too curved for my taste. I also never warmed up to the notch on the back of the blade. My buddy loves the thing and bought it the instant I offered to sell it.

I still have the ESSE Junglas, but don't use it. I kept it because it's has what I want in a large knife But I've been a Busse user (and abuser) since way back when Jerry started in his garage. My go too, favorite blades are a vintage Attack Badger and a Bushwacker. I still have my trusty rusty Battle Mistress as well, but IMO heavy bush knives get no better than the Bushwacker in INFI.

Don't sweat it too much, there ain't no perfect knives and either of your choices are good ones. 8) 

Offline UA8

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 11:49:17 PM »
Based on the shape and size of the Bushwhacker I have high hopes for my survive knives GSO 10 when it finally arrives. Semi custom production run which is running a bit late on delivery but such is life when you order custom items.

Offline Freebirde

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 07:19:33 AM »
Here are some good knives.   http://www.twowolvesoutdoor.com/fixedblade.html    Two wolves Outdoors are good people to deal with.   I have the Schrade Extreme Survival 9 at the top of the page.    It has a very robust blade and large handle.    If I could only have one blade in the wilderness, it would be this one.
With all the new and different mistakes out there waiting to be made, why keep repeating the same ones?

http://www.extension.org/

I just don't let preconceptions get in the way of doing what needs to be done.

Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, nihil deerit
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 01:31:53 PM »
So you guys chop large branches and small trees with knives?
Lookin' good and feelin' fine

Offline ADKwarrior

• Survivor
  • MSB Member Omegaburn
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 02:39:34 PM »
So you guys chop large branches and small trees with knives?

Yup, its called batoning.  Although a small hand saw is a prefered option IMHO.

Batoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batoning

-Practice until you get it right, train until you can't get it wrong.
-"You will live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension." N. Tesla

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 06:54:39 AM »
Like a pruning saw/

Offline UA8

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 12:43:02 PM »
Like a pruning saw/

A pruning saw will work but most guys go with a pack saw like the sawvivor or one of the pocket chain saws, when in the field.

Offline ADKwarrior

• Survivor
  • MSB Member Omegaburn
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 10:47:36 AM »
A pruning saw will work but most guys go with a pack saw like the sawvivor or one of the pocket chain saws, when in the field.

For extended stays in the woods i like a folding buck saw and often carry just the blade in my pack anytime i go in the woods.  With some experience you can easily make the "body" of the saw n the field.

-Practice until you get it right, train until you can't get it wrong.
-"You will live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension." N. Tesla

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 12:25:44 PM »

Thanks for the advice.

Joe

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Scientist prepper in training
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 10:37:09 AM »
Good point about the value of folding saws. They make it much easier to cut up smaller logs into sections as opposed to chopping away with the knife, IMO. I do use batoning to SPLIT the wood though.

I personally have NEVER heard anything good about the pocket chain saws, particularly for big(ish) logs, so I've always steered clear of them. Are there some good ones out there?

Offline inbox485

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2013, 12:01:27 PM »
May the ghost of every knife designer past haunt anyone who spends $250 on a knife to use it for a hatchet. But if you are looking for a knife in the $250 range, I have four words for you: Cold Steel, San Mai.
www.DeepRootsHomesteading.com

For now it is a blog for tips, tricks, ideas, and thoughts, but a full blown site is being built in the background.