Author Topic: External cell phone antenna question  (Read 1721 times)

Offline notsofast

• Survivor
External cell phone antenna question
« on: March 27, 2012, 06:05:58 PM »
So, at our land we have no cell service. Actually, I have none and my GF has enough to go outside, hold her phone up and send a text. Last night I tried to rig an antenna like the old school car antennas but got nothing. I don't know if I connected it wrong or if the phones don't have enough juice. Here's what I did:

I cut an old charger, exposed the two wires (red and black). Stripped a piece of co ax from an old satellite. I connected the red from the charger to the copper (inner wire) of the coax and the black from the charger to the aluminum sheath on the coax. I then connected the coax to an old external cell phone antenna from a car. Plugged the factory charger end to my phone. And got nothing.

Did I do it wrong? Will it even work this way? Do I need more power? If so, how can I power the antenna without frying my phone?

I was thinking I could try splicing directly to a charger and while it's plugged in i'd get more signal... Maybe.. Any ideas, thoughts, lols, "you're a dumbass"'s? Anything?
"This is why we do what we do."- Me

"If you're not worried... You're not paying attention."

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: External cell phone antenna question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:40:06 PM »
Try these ideas? I don't own a cell phone, so I have no idea if it works or not, but thought it was interesting to know.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/750707/how_to_make_a_cell_phone_antenna_under_5_minutes/

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-make-external-antenna-for-your-cellphone-185772/

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline notsofast

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 05:04:58 PM »
Well, can't view either on my phone. I'll have to wait until I can use my computer. Thanks though.
"This is why we do what we do."- Me

"If you're not worried... You're not paying attention."

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 05:54:55 PM »
I am not clear where you connected it to the phone, does the phone have an external antenna port?
The charger port is not likely the same.

If not your best bet would be an external type repeater, but they have to be powered.

Offline hawk5000

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 06:36:37 PM »
If they home made antenna option does not cut it you can get a cell phone repeater kit. They consist of an external antenna, an amplifier, and an internal antenna.

A friend of mine put one on his RV and now when he goes camping he can get cell service where most peoples phones would not. The other cool thin about this type of system is it works for everyone in close proximity to his RV.

http://www.repeaterstore.com/?gclid=CJCy0Jaija8CFWYJRQod_krmww

Offline NR5P

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 11:03:01 AM »
I'm not sure what you connected to the phone either. I have a link coupled antenna for my cell phone. It's a bunch of turns of wire inductively link coupling my ham dipole antenna to my phone. It works for sending and receiving texts. I lay my phone there at home. I have to make sure I move it when I'm on my radio!!

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 11:26:06 AM »
Years ago, cell phones had a little round coaxial connector for external antenna.

No more.

The antenna connection does not come out of the charging port.

Yes, the so-called picocell (really, just a packet repeater for cell traffic) is the way to go now.