Author Topic: antibiotics from the pet store? (off doomday preppers)  (Read 11329 times)

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
antibiotics from the pet store? (off doomday preppers)
« on: March 27, 2012, 11:10:50 PM »
I was watching doomsday preppers tonight and they mentioned preppers storing antibiotics from pet stores
it is the stuff you put in fish tanks, any info on this? or what preppers are buying? I think it was Amoxicillin

which one to get? how much is a dose?

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • TSP Ultimate Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: antibiotics from the pet store? (off doomday preppers)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 11:55:24 PM »
I was so not excited that they aired that. Depends on body weight and what the issue is. Not all antibiotics will work on all issues and now I can see repercussions coming from that. People abuse antibiotics as it is, and if they think it is a free for all to be able to get them this way and use them indiscriminately, they are not doing themselves any favours.

Cedar
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 12:26:42 AM by Cedar »
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

walker

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 12:14:00 AM »
This has been discussed at length in several threads, search is your friend.

I wrote a lengthy post two years ago about not using antibiotics:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=5804.msg58007#msg58007

The only updated info I have to share is from an edgy blogger I know.  He did some good research on this topic, but I don't agree with everything he wrote in regards to selecting treatment regimens.
http://www.truthistreason.net/guide-to-veterinary-drugs-for-human-consumption-post-shtf

Despite this information, my stance on the issue remains the same... establishing a network of people with necessary skill sets is paramount to long term survival post SHTF.  If you can't get meds you need for prepping, it is probably because you have a giant gaping hole in your network.  With that said, the knowledge I posted above still has great value if we end up scrounging for meds post SHTF.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 01:45:15 AM by Archer »

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 12:47:24 AM »
I agree there are lot of nut jobs out there that won't use this stuff wisely (we view them every week on the show).  But many of us simply need a source for our own preps and much of us (like me) have no intention to use them without the proper training (or possibly at all if we don't get it).  Personally, I would hate to not have it in the event that I may need it some day, especially if I happen across a doctor who can help but needs these items becuase he/she doesn't have them either.

I also agree with Cedar in that this could cause serious trouble for us farmers someday if people start running to the fish store or vet to get this stuff for human use, and the feds make yet another restriction making it impossible to doctor our own animals. . . .  The cat's out of the bag though, time to make hay.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline YoungGunsPrepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 10:08:36 AM »
DOC K had a great response to the antibiotics in the medical and first aid section under fish flex aka cipro posting. He explained it the best I have heard so far.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=33804.0
"Leaders are made and not born, But great men are born and re born"

Offline gringogigante

• Prepper
  • Firearms & CHL instructor
    • MetroplexCHL
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 06:34:18 PM »
I saw that one the show too and, while a little risky sounding, it appeared to be difficult to dose and assure that you were getting the same med for the same purpose in the same chemical formats.

SO, before delving into this while side of prepping, I decided to see how hard it was to get the real thing online. I had a tumor in my throat that killed my thyroid a couple of years ago. As a result, i have to take Synthroid for the rest of my life. If I don't take it, it can kill over the long term.

I simply googled Synthroid and found many companies (mostly in Canada) that would sell it. They asked for my doctor's info and charged my visa card. 2 weeks later, I got a small box with 9 months worth of Synthroid sitting in my living room.

The best part.....THEY NEVER CALLED MY DOCTOR FOR VERIFICATION!! :-)  I know because he's a former CHL student of mine, so I asked him.

In order to test this, I decided to get another 3 month supply from a different company. The exact same thing happened! They asked for my dr's contact info and then never called them!

Lesson:  Try to get the real deal first. There are plenty of companies in Canada that will sell it to you
Thanks!

Chris McCollum
concealed handgun Plano
concealed handgun Dallas
Dallas CHL Forum
metroplexchl@gmail.com
www.metroplexchl.com

Offline savannah kay

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 08:37:04 PM »
Dr. Bones and Nurse Amy, on the Doom and Bloom Podcast and Blog have posted the names in the pet stores and online pet stores
that match the RX names for humans.
Does anyone know anything about colloidal silver as an anti-biotic?  Or if it's easy to make a generator?
Thanks!

Offline savannah kay

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 08:43:59 PM »
Whoops, I just saw the colloidal silver thread, sorry.