Author Topic: 8 days late  (Read 4567 times)

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
8 days late
« on: July 01, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
..but not pregnant. I started jogging 5 weeks ago, but I do less than 10 miles a week. From what I could find on-line, there aren't usually problems until a woman gets to 30-40 miles per week. Any ladies have any experience with this? Should I keep running, slow down, quit until my body remembers how to act?

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: 8 days late
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 05:04:19 PM »
Keep going. Your body will adjust and your periods will return to normal. Possibly they will be lighter and less cramping too.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 07:52:12 PM »
Thanks. Even through high school sports I've never had this problem before. And it must be an unwritten law of the universe that a woman's period will begin 5 minutes after she opens a pregnancy test.  ::)

Offline Ronin4hire

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chance favours the prepared mind.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 08:05:41 PM »
If ya do a home pregnancy test, do another 2 days later-   and the Dollar Store brand are just as accurate!
The HCG level to trigger a positive is very low, either 25 or 50...     (20 is barely pregnant but still NEG)
That level doubles every 2 days with pregnancy- so the NOT today may be over the limit and be YES tomorrow!

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 05:37:31 AM »
It's also possible that you were pregnant but had a "chemical" pregnancy; that's where the fetus dies shortly after or shortly before implantation, but your period will still be delayed by 4-10 days because the hcg started rising. My doc said that happens to almost every woman occasionally and most don't know it because they either don't take a test or don't register a positive on it.

ETA: I'm not trying to upset anyone or anything. I just know way too much about this stuff, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 05:57:43 AM by summer98 »

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 06:31:21 AM »
I was 11 days late during my summer travels in Europe about 20 years ago.

I knew I wasn't pregnant because I hadn't been with anyone. However, being as late as I was just wasn't something I'd ever experienced before, so it definitely worried me. I'd been late before by 2 or 3 days at best, but never 11. But it turned out the best guess of why I was so late was that I was being hyper-stressed by the whole affair -- the plane trip, the jet lag, the culture shock of the differences I kept experiencing such as food and various ways of doing things, etc. Finally one night I totally broke down in tears and sobbed for half an hour in the company of two other women and told them all my woes:

-- the shower had fungus in it
-- nobody used (or gave us) napkins so I was wiping my hands on my socks at each meal
-- nobody ever rinsed off the dishes when they washed them, so the dishes were always left to dry in the dish strainer with the soap scum still on them
-- the sun never went down (I was in Northern Europe right at the June solstice and the sun barely dipped down behind the horizon)
-- I repeatedly almost got hit by cars and buses because they drove on the other side of the road so I kept stupidly looking the wrong way as I attempted to step out onto the busy streets to cross 

After that very cathartic sob session, I went to bed and then I started my period the next day.

I was just way too stressed and in an alien environment and my body reacted.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 08:01:04 AM »
Just thinking that I was possibly pregnant was enough to convince me it's time to talk to my doc about a tubal. Dh is also 90% on board with that plan. Once we stopped and thought about it, neither one of us really wants to start over with another baby. I don't want to have to potty train again until it's time to teach a grandkid. 4 kids would mean another vehicle, losing our babysitting on the weekends, boom boom goes back to 5 minutes here and there, etc. Calling my doc right now!

Offline snickers

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 11:50:44 PM »
..but not pregnant. I started jogging 5 weeks ago, but I do less than 10 miles a week. From what I could find on-line, there aren't usually problems until a woman gets to 30-40 miles per week. Any ladies have any experience with this? Should I keep running, slow down, quit until my body remembers how to act?

I was training for a marathon before I got hurt and running 30-40 miles a week. My periods were normal. My nutritionist/coaches in college said that irregular or late periods have more to do with eating too little and high stress levels than with too much exercise. If anything I would keep running to reduce stress and increase appetite! Hope everything works out and that you're not pregnant if you don't want to be!