Author Topic: Flash cards?  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Poppa C.O.B.

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Flash cards?
« on: March 29, 2012, 10:06:19 AM »
Is there somewhere I can go to print out free plant and tree identification cards? Looking for more of the medicinal type stuff. I have some books but they are not for the medicinal stuff. Thought it might be something nice to have in the bag when out in the woods. Might be something that can be added to or taken away from given the location or the situation or weight limits.

Offline Doc K

• "King of the Medicine Cabinet"
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
    • Temperate Climate Permaculture
Re: Flash cards?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 10:27:21 AM »
There are two books on my Amazon wish list... I haven't read them yet.
- Field Guide to Medicinal Plants (Peterson Guide)
- Field Guide to Medicinal Wild Plants (Bradford Angier)

I've read books by both authors, and I think they would be quality books.

I have a long way to go, but I am better than your average bear at plant identification. With that said, plant indentification can be VERY tough. It can be easy with a handful of plants during certain stages of their life (like flowering), but I would caution against a "just in case" book or ID cards. If you want to identify plants for food or medicine, and you want to do it when you really need them (like when you are really hungry, or sick, or trying to collect medicinal plants for a loved one who is sick), you don't want to be holding a leaf next to an illustration saying, "well, I think this looks pretty close..."

Getting a good ID book and spending time in the woods with it is highly recommended if you ever want to learn this skill.

Not directly related, but Eat the Weeds is a great website!

Doc K