Author Topic: Eneloop batteries  (Read 27948 times)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Eneloop batteries
« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2015, 09:36:11 AM »
and this is a que to introduce you to the DEFINITE battery testing master, the Danish HKJ.
http://lygte-info.dk/
check out the in latests, the Duracell Nimh and Varta Alkaline review....

Offline Ralph

• Survivor
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2015, 01:15:09 PM »
Wow, that is a good site. I got side tracked there before posting this looking at the Duracell tests. I will have to keep an eye out for those.
I did get to run 2 tests on Duracell Duralock alkaline AAs. They were out of the same package with an expiration of 12/2023. I wanted to see how they held up against AA Eneloops so I used the same 1.0 volt cutoff as all my NiMH batteries. At a constant 1 amp load, I measured 0.57 amp hours. At 500 mA they got up to 1.17 amp hours. Unlike Eneloops, the alkaline capacity varies a lot with load current. I didn't run any additional tests (it seems such a waste using 1x use batteries), but Peukert's law https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peukert's_law should be able to get additional data for different discharge rates from what I measured.
It seems at a load of around 250mA and under the Duracells will outlast an Eneloop in use. That may make the alkaline a good choice for a lower powered light (if it can take alkaline cells) which will probably sit around doing nothing for most of it's life. The longer shelf life of the alkaline is also a plus there. I keep alkaline Duracells and Energizer lithiums in my car kit- mostly not to cook my Eneloops in the car all summer.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2015, 12:23:05 AM »
do take notice that the use of more than one batteries distributes the load. (assuming the electronics change current draw when the voltage is higher)
in layman's terms, modern single AA flashlight are Killing alkalines. With 2xAA lights the situation is a bit better

PS where you were testing the batteries at? An analyzer, charger etc?

Offline Ralph

• Survivor
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2015, 12:25:40 AM »
I am using a CBA tester. The type of test I run, constant current drain, is not typical of battery drain in real life. Before I bought the CBA I would use a flashlight and time how long it would run. That seemed to be somewhat subjective and required my sitting around to actually monitor the test. I overcame the need to watch testing on my small battery bank by using a 120v mechanical clock to measure run time for whatever load I had on the inverter. The constant current for AAs was basically my choice for coming up with a standardized test and being able to compare my test against manufacturer's specs.. Not a perfect solution, but it seems to weed out weak cells. There is a second way to test on the CBA, but I dont have my PC handy to check it out. I'll have to look into that.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2015, 01:58:40 AM »
I use the constant power test setting on my CBA, mostly because the software doesn't crash when I append several tests to the same chart when going through a batch of four or more.  Constant current is flaky on my computer.
23:57:30

Offline Ralph

• Survivor
« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2015, 02:56:34 PM »
I never tried the constant power test on my CBA, but I probably should. That would probably be a better estimate of run time in a light than constant current. It may be interesting to compare the 2 tests. Up until recently I ran the CBA on a windows 7 laptop. The last few tests I ran were on a Windows 8.1 laptop. Win 7 appended at least 8 tests using constant current, but I haven't run many on Win 8.1 yet.

Offline Ralph

• Survivor
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2015, 10:35:26 AM »
Just a quick notice in case someone didn't get the email, there is some new firmware out for the CBA. I haven't tried it yet. As soon as I make sure my CBA still works after a recent upgrade to Windows 10 I'll give it a try.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2015, 11:07:13 AM »
just a heads up in the importance of charging conditions.
I have been using a battery for night reading charging it to capacity at 1A rate.
with less than 100 chargings capacity has fallen down to 1500ma

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2015, 11:19:48 AM »
just a heads up in the importance of charging conditions.
I have been using a battery for night reading charging it to capacity at 1A rate.
with less than 100 chargings capacity has fallen down to 1500ma

Batteries store power in chemical form and fast rate charging 'stresses ' AA Eneloops...500 Ma is as high as one should charge for long life .This is my long term use opinion. The cells rated above 1900 Mah are even more likely to have shortened lives by fast charging.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline Ralph

• Survivor
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2015, 11:32:27 AM »
I usually recharge my Eneloops at 200mA, 500 if I am in a rush for some reason. I have enough batteries I rarely have to rush a charge. The batteries that came with the Lacrosse charger I never trusted enough to put into serious use, so I started using them in a 1 AA light as a night light. I still have 2 of the AAs. What Ive been doing is alternating them in the light which I leave on every night & recharge in the morning at 200mA. Although they can no longer supply high current, both cells have gone through hundreds of cycles, sometimes being discharged as deep as the light will take them, and they still run all night and then some. I never expected those cells to last that long, so unfortunately I didnt keep track of how many cycles theyve been through- but it's been a lot. One thing I have noticed is sometimes when i put them (Lacrosse cells) into the charger they pretty quickly show up as charged. I pull the cell out and put it right back in and they charge normally.  I dont recall Eneloops needing the disconnect for a full charge. I should run the Lacrosse cells through the CBA (still havent tried it under Windows 10) and see how theyve held up. Is anyone using the CBA under Windows 10, or updated the firmware yet?

Offline gopack84

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2015, 01:00:19 PM »
Just for discussion, the Powerex MC-C9000 recharger manual does not recommend recharging at any value < .3C where C = the capacity of the batteries in mAH. So for an (approximate) 2000mAh battery like a AA that means charging at 600ma. They also do not recommend charging at rates over 1C.

Of course they also say that typically, lower charging currents = better battery performance. The reason they give for the limitation is that at lower charging currents, the battery may not produce the proper temperature and voltage readings to signal the charger to stop its charging cycle.

Having said that, I've always charged my AA's at 400mAh and never noticed any problems with end of charging cycle or improperly charged batteries.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2015, 01:19:36 PM »
Is anyone using the CBA under Windows 10, or updated the firmware yet?

Yep.  I updated to Win10 and then did the firmware update, plus the software update to 2.4.8, and ran it without any problems.  I just updated today to 2.4.9, but haven't tested with it yet.
23:57:30

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2015, 01:57:41 AM »
I am placing this here:
http://lygte-info.dk/info/batteryChargingNiMH%20UK.html
It is an article on various NiMh charging methods

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2017, 10:18:05 AM »
This is a huge resource.
Not only for buying smart, but for the wealth of collected info on eneloops.
Made by a genuine flashaholic
Rewrapped Enellop batteries
http://eneloop101.com/batteries/rewrapped-batteries/