Author Topic: Travel Burkey and ceramic filters  (Read 2102 times)

Offline jcarsey

• Prepper
Travel Burkey and ceramic filters
« on: March 28, 2012, 12:19:22 PM »
Jeff,

How to the travel filters work in the Travel Burkey?  I was going to get 2 extra black elements, but then I saw the ceramic filters and the other flouride filters.  Can you explain how those other filters work and compare to the regular black ones?

Thanks!

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
Re: Travel Burkey and ceramic filters
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 02:32:59 PM »
From what I have read the black ones are better than the ceramic. I think the ceramic were the original ones and then the black ones came out later as "new and improved" — I don't know much more than that other than the black ones are more expensive.

The flouride filter attaches in the reservoir to the threads on the black filter element, and is a secondary stage filter (you can't use that without a ceramic or black element upstairs in the filling chamber).

I have the black elements in the berkey I own and honestly — I know there are lots of water solutions on the market but I am VERY happy with my Berkey purchase. Everyone in my family appreciates the clean drinking water VERY much.

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
Re: Travel Burkey and ceramic filters
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 08:50:30 AM »
Jeff,

How to the travel filters work in the Travel Burkey?  I was going to get 2 extra black elements, but then I saw the ceramic filters and the other flouride filters.  Can you explain how those other filters work and compare to the regular black ones?

Thanks!

The Black Berkey Elements are superior to the white ceramic filters, but the white ceramic filters will also fit the Travel Berkey System.

The Black Berkey Elements and PF2 Fluoride Filters work together.
The White Ceramic Filters and PF4 Fluoride Filters work together.

Differences between Black Berkey Elements & White Ceramic Filters:

White ceramic filter elements:
Last anywhere between 2000-3000 gallons per set of 2.
They reduce Chlorine up to 90 percent.
They remove Pathogenic Bacteria to 99.99 percent, according to the tests at Spectum Labs in Arizona.
Easy to clean, as the filter collects contaminants on the outside of the filters. Just brush on the outside of the white ceramic filters.
Contains an inner core of carbon, but not as powerful at removing contaminants than the black berkey elements.
Does not remove any viruses from the water.
http://directive21.com/super-sterasyl.html

Black Berkey elements:
Last about 6000 gallons.
Last about 2-3 years or more, but based on usage.
Made of coconut shell carbon, the superior class of carbon.
Cleaned by back flushing or priming the filters, which involves pushing water through the filters backwards.
The black berkey elements absorb many of the contaminants, so that is why they need to be primed every 3 months.
Removes almost all the contaminants the white filters will remove, but to a higher level.
It removes pretty much all of the chlorine, 99.999999%, and VOC's, to the same level. Has been tested by the same lab as the white ceramic filters, and the tests show that the black berkey elements remove contaminants to a higher level.
Removes some viruses to non-detectable levels.
http://directive21.com/accessories-blac ... ement.html

We personally use a Royal Berkey with 2 Black berkey elements. We recommend people purchase the black berkey elements, but the white ceramic filters are still good filters and have been around for over 100 years in Britian.

The White ceramic filters are 7" or 9" in length. The 7" filters are the only ones sold in Britian, as the 9" are custom made for New Mellenium Concepts, the creators of the black berkey elements. The 9" filters are only sold in the USA.

theberkeyguy