Author Topic: Berkey and plants  (Read 5740 times)

Offline nature_sprite

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Berkey and plants
« on: October 04, 2011, 02:16:03 PM »
Hey

cool beans there's a berkey person on the forum. i have a travel one with flouride filters and from the beginning since i owed it if i had some spare water left ( i use to use lots of water last year) i'd water just a few plants with the filtered water... rest of plants with tap water.
well a cactus plant died after a couple months using the filtered water... she was always healthy before. then an ivy type of plant started dying. a different type of ivy species seemed to be okay. so i quit watering them with the berkey filtered water and just used tap water from then on and the dying ivy plant sparked back up with new life within a couple of weeks.
i never felt ill off of the water, but it's mighty strange, eh?! and the filters weren't expired with usage.
i haven't used my berkey for probably 7 months now because i think i may be due for new flouride filters and keep holding it off to buy a new set.

i've never done the red dye test, but i could definately taste the taste differance after about 5 or so fill-ups to get that plastic taste out... after that the water tasted great. i followed the instructions specificaly and even watched youtube videos to make sure i installed it right.

has this happened to anyone else?

i'm a bit reluctant to order more filters. i haven't used my berkey for about 7 months now because i may be due for a new flouride filter(s) and have been drinking bottled water.

Offline nature_sprite

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Berkey and plants
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 02:20:50 PM »
ps

i never had any spare water. infact i would fill that travel berkey about 3 or 4 times a day to keep up with my drinking it and using for cooking etc. i only bought the small one so it's smaller and less space to use for camping incase it's needed.

Offline nature_sprite

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 02:49:11 PM »
okay

i just read a response on another currently active thread.... someone had just posted minutes ago that there were bad batches of filters distrubuted last year. i purchased my berkey in july of 2010. could my filters be of a bad batch?

if it killed my cactus and made my ivy dying.... i am seriously wondering what harm it has done to my body. i drank 2+ gallons a day plus used for cooking.

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 07:50:37 PM »
okay

i just read a response on another currently active thread.... someone had just posted minutes ago that there were bad batches of filters distrubuted last year. i purchased my berkey in july of 2010. could my filters be of a bad batch?

if it killed my cactus and made my ivy dying.... i am seriously wondering what harm it has done to my body. i drank 2+ gallons a day plus used for cooking.

Thanks for posting this information on the forum, as there was a bad batch during the first part of 2011.  Your filters purchased in July 2010 should be fine, and have passed the food coloring test.

I am unaware of anyone having problems with their plants because of berkey water, and I would monitor the situation more and see if the plants may have began to die for any other reasons.  I am not sure the water would of killed the plants, but please let me know what happens when the berkey water is used again.

theberkeyguy

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 08:25:20 PM »

Filtered water is perfectly safe for people/animals, however it's not the best for houseplants because most (if not all ) of the minerals have now been removed.  While we get various minerals from a variety of foods and supplements, plants can't just get up and go pop a multi-mineral tab when they need it.  Or think of it this way...you wouldn't dare drink barnyard tea (dried manure steeped in water), however plants grow crazy beautiful on the stuff.  Filtered water is the same way, but in reverse....great for people/animals, but not something you want to give to your plants.

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 08:00:48 AM »
Filtered water is perfectly safe for people/animals, however it's not the best for houseplants because most (if not all ) of the minerals have now been removed.  While we get various minerals from a variety of foods and supplements, plants can't just get up and go pop a multi-mineral tab when they need it.  Or think of it this way...you wouldn't dare drink barnyard tea (dried manure steeped in water), however plants grow crazy beautiful on the stuff.  Filtered water is the same way, but in reverse....great for people/animals, but not something you want to give to your plants.

The Black Berkey Elements do not remove minerals, but plants can thrive on water that may not be purified as this happens in nature.

theberkeyguy

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 12:06:23 PM »
The Black Berkey Elements do not remove minerals, but plants can thrive on water that may not be purified as this happens in nature.

The Berkey does not remove minerals?  So does that mean it also doesn't remove chromium (a trace mineral found in our bodies), copper, or cadmium?  Because these are also minerals.  And if the minerals are filtered out based on size or ionic properties, the plants are still going to suffer, as they require minerals found at both ends of the spectrum.  Just because something is bad for us, doesn't mean it's bad for plants (take carbon dioxide for example).     

And I didn't say that plants couldn't thrive on non-purified water (how is barnyard tea even remotely considered "purified?"). I said it's just the opposite. That people thrive on purified water, but plants need unfiltered/non-purified water.

The bottom line is that plants don't do well on purified water, no matter what type/brand system you use.

Offline nature_sprite

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 09:57:49 PM »
okay. thanks for your responses to each of you. i've never heard of people advising not to use filtered water especialy from a berkey. i thought a berkey ridded just all the bad stuff. so this may be why a plant died and a dying one. and i am absouely certain it was due to the berkey, berkeyguy. my plants enviroments never changed for very many months and once i used the tap water it slowly sparked back up. but using the filtered water both it and the cactus quickly died. i just got ones life back and also sending it much loving energy to not die on me. and i will never use filtered water on plants again.... i love my plants and they are living beings.

Offline nature_sprite

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 09:59:34 PM »
ps

i've had some house plants for nearly 15 years holding up strong! i know my plants.

Offline nature_sprite

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 01:52:59 AM »
hey

just another question because i hadn't ordered my berkey from you. obviously as anyone would be concerned as i am with the regards to my plants and to my health.

when the bad filters came out... did the other companies selling the berkey filters... were they forced to return the filters and replaced with QC approved ones of no charge?

i have every right to be skeptical here. and deserve some answers. am questioning IF i was sold some bad products.... if there is that chance and certainly could be that yes... but would like to know what berkeys actions were taken once the bad filters went out.

how was this dicovered? i've looked to find these answers and all i ever find is that just some bad ones were sent out. i've done QC and QA and a lab tech plus more for very many years on many products with food and non food related. seriously am racking my brain how berkey allowed this to happen.

i'm wanting to buy more filters for my safety. questioning the trust level for berkeys measure. and i hope you can understand.

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 08:34:19 AM »
hey

just another question because i hadn't ordered my berkey from you. obviously as anyone would be concerned as i am with the regards to my plants and to my health.

when the bad filters came out... did the other companies selling the berkey filters... were they forced to return the filters and replaced with QC approved ones of no charge?

i have every right to be skeptical here. and deserve some answers. am questioning IF i was sold some bad products.... if there is that chance and certainly could be that yes... but would like to know what berkeys actions were taken once the bad filters went out.

how was this dicovered? i've looked to find these answers and all i ever find is that just some bad ones were sent out. i've done QC and QA and a lab tech plus more for very many years on many products with food and non food related. seriously am racking my brain how berkey allowed this to happen.

i'm wanting to buy more filters for my safety. questioning the trust level for berkeys measure. and i hope you can understand.

New Millennium Concepts is replacing all sets sold during that period at no charge.  If you purchased filters between Dec. 2010, and June 2011, it is recommended that they be replaced.  Please call them at 888-803-4438.

This was discovered, in April, when filter sets started failing.

I personally have elements that I have been using for almost 3 years, and they are still working great, and have had no problems.

theberkeyguy

Offline nature_sprite

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 05:31:47 PM »
okay thanks!

Offline Ralph

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 04:36:23 PM »
Someone brought me some Red Ti branches to grow. The branches grew nice roots sitting in nothing but Berkey water. Now, being moved to soil the plants look just fine. I could be wrong (and correct me if I am), but I always thought plants got most of their minerals from the soil, not water. Perhaps after 15 years in one environment your plants got adjusted to their soil/ water mix and changing things by using filtered water 'upset' them.