Author Topic: What's your prep "focus"?  (Read 27913 times)

Offline Crosstimbers

• Prepper
What's your prep "focus"?
« on: October 09, 2008, 06:01:55 PM »
I'm curious...is there an area of prep/survivalism that you tend to focus on more than others?  Right now for me it is food storage.  I've learned so much and it has changed the way we eat at my house.  I cook more from whole foods like grains and beans.  I've even started grinding my own wheat to bake my own bread!

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: What's your prep "focus"?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 06:38:50 PM »
I know we would all be better off (healthier) if we "cooked from scratch".  I think for many (myself included) it's a lost art.  But think about it - we wouldn't be able to run to the store to "pick up something for dinner "tonight" necessarily if something happened. 
I realize that many (most?) work outside the home and may not have a lot of time to devote to this, but we should try.

You are a lot farther along than I. For me, it's been first aid supplies.  But still not enough of different things.  I know I need to really find a way to stock up on food, but with tight finances, that is really hard. Most of the stuff I have, I got when I worked two jobs, but I'm down to one now.  I wish I had more when I had the money to do it with.

Everyone should get as much as possible asap. 

thomasx7

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 07:11:21 PM »
Food storage, definitely. I am starting with the basics, and then start filling it out. I have guns, ammo, camping gear, etc. Food and water are my priorities.

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 07:39:19 PM »
I have food and water, first aid supplies, but the stuff I worry about is what I am going to do about shoes for my children.  My son seems to outgrow his shoes about every 4 or 5 weeks.  We have incredible growth spurts going on.  I was thinking of going to Goodwill and just buying bigger sizes of whatever I can find that he might wear, just to store.  It's hard to buy children's clothes with an eye on them getting bigger, he seems to grow out, then up. There's no way to predict how far out or how far up.  I don't sew.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 07:50:11 PM »
You can do as you said (go larger) then, if the kids outgrow them before you can use them, you can sell/trade them for larger sizes.  (or keep some for the smaller child(ren)  Someone would be thrilled to have them.  And if you get them at a thrift store, you wouldn't be out that much. (hopefully, you will never need them.)

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 08:27:41 PM »
I am trying to be well rounded in my preps. At first I tried to concentrate on the basics for life : air, water, food. I am concentrating more on food preparation, and how to obtain food whether it is vegetable or meat. We are planning for a garden on my mother's land. I am trying to learn how to hunt and clean. I am learning how to cook what I have and learn about other things that keep well. After setting up a BOB and the basics then I spread out into more specific areas. Learning how to grow food is another skill I am trying to learn. Always I have tried to buy things while keeping in mind their other uses. Not a single weapon I own can not be used for something else.

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 08:46:49 PM »
I've tried to be well rounded and practical, but a few weeks ago I found myself thinking about things I would never want to be without.  It occured to me that if things got bad, I might want a glass of wine.  I actually tried to make wine.  It's in there fermenting now.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Offline DrGonzo

• Survivor
    • Zombie Squad
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 09:39:28 AM »
I started out by picking up a bunch of the cool toys out there for my personal BOB and GHB.  But after a while I started realizing that I needed to focus more on my actual home and lifestyle.  The focus has gone from the whiz-bang gear (although I still drool over a new knife occasionally) to practical, long term preparations.  Gardening, food storage, getting out of debt, alternatives to driving in the city, developing a network of like minded individuals in the region are some of the areas I'm focusing on now.  Once I was personally prepared, then I had to focus on getting my household prepared.  Then my community.  And on, and on. 

*EDIT* Sorry, I just noticed that this is the "Ladies" forum.  I'm glad there is a dedicated forum for y'all.  I'll leave my comment since it does directly answer the question. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 09:43:36 AM by DrGonzo »

Offline Crosstimbers

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 11:58:38 AM »
....It occured to me that if things got bad, I might want a glass of wine.  I actually tried to make wine.  It's in there fermenting now.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Actually, I've heard it suggested to store various kinds of alcohol. It can be used for medicinal purposes for one thing and would be very handy to barter with if the economy completely collapses.  Plus a little escapism is a good thing in a TSHTF scenario!

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 12:58:50 PM »
Another good barter item would would be cigarettes.  Even if you don't smoke, others may.  They don't have to be expensive - the cheaper the better.  If you have a vacuum machine for food, you could use it for the cigs (individual packs) as well. Trade by the single cig or the pack.  Also sanitary products. Tampons and pads can be traded OR used for wounds.  Individual travel packets of wipes would be good for trade as well.  Travel size toothpaste/deoderants (on sale) would be good also. (Too expensive if not on sale)  Buy one, get one items are good to stock up on.  Rain panchos in the little packets cost about a dollar can be traded.

Don't only look for things that you and yours will use, consider what others might be willing to trade for - if you can get it cheaply enough. 

SkipOnStars

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 09:35:33 PM »
I am focused on food storage, but am also growing a winter garden.  I am going to the sawmill to pick up log end/splits, etc to burn in the fireplace.  They are cheap (about 10. a med truck bed full), and you don't have to have a chain saw or log splitter.  (I also got a tank of propane).  I've bought my seeds for next year's spring garden already.   I've also gotten some really swell books from Tractor Supply Co on concentrated amounts of "all country living skills".  I've also bought more fruit trees... plan to add even more permaculture.  Big item on wish list:  Big Berkey water purifier.

Offline susan1957

• Senior Survivalist
  • Steel Magnolia
    • Smith's Simple Frugal Life
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 09:56:35 PM »
My prep focus is food, money, and school books for the kids.  We have custody of our 3 great nephew and neices and I am concerned about their education in a shtf scenario which I am beginning to feel is approaching.  We see more and more anger in the McCain group, you hear things about the banks being nationalized.  I feel a revolt against the government approaching. Then there's the increase in taxes they are speaking of to pay for all this mess we're in.  I'm beginning to wonder if it's smart to believe our government about leaving our money in the 401k plans.  And I'm searching for solutions for diabetes during survival situations.  If I can't get my medication what to do etc.  I've stocked up on extra synthroid but it's difficult to stock up on the medication for diabetes.  My next prep focus is stress relief.  Stress relief is something we should focus on since stress destroys good health.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 10:15:36 PM »
If you find a good product(s) for stress, please post it.  I think that right now we are ALL getting pretty stressed!.  Too much negatively charged air! (I agree with the revolt issue.  They are pushing false hope now, but I don't believe it.)

Offline susan1957

• Senior Survivalist
  • Steel Magnolia
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 10:30:32 PM »
I go for walks right now and I have days where I just cut the tv off and play games with the kids and that's helped some.  The more I'm prepared the less stress I feel.

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 05:41:04 AM »
I also have tried to focus on the medication my husband takes for diabetes and heart disease.  We recently got his prescription for 90 day supplies, and wish there was a way to talk the MD into writing them for double strength of what he needs.  Then we could have had a 6 month supply.  Has anyone had any luck with Canadian Pharmacies.  I was thinking of getting a prescription on file with one so that maybe they could mail them to us.

Offline Crosstimbers

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 06:24:39 AM »
The medication issue worries me also.  I mail order 3 mos supplies through our insurance and hope that TS DOESN'T HTF at the end of a prescription!  I've also heard it recommended to start putting back a couple of pills a month and then rotate them, slowly building a small back-up supply.  That would work okay on my Prozac but not so much on my husband's blood pressure meds!

For de-stressing, knitting helps me tremendously and also produces another item that provides for my family.

Offline susan1957

• Senior Survivalist
  • Steel Magnolia
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 05:21:19 PM »
My meds have concerned me but I think I came up with a solution.  The doctor writes me a 3 month supply, then I call in for a refill a month before it's time to go out on the orginal prescription.  So I have a month of my first then the second prescription comes in.  I don't have insurance to pay for the second prescription because most of the time they restrict or won't pay because it's too early.  I've done this once and it's worked. 
Find ways to help your husband's blood pressure not be so bad.  Cut out salt, encourage him to walk more, but don't stop the meds, maybe doing this for a while will result in him not needing as large a doseage. 

GroundPounder

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 09:41:24 PM »
Right now mine is financial.  I have the beans and bullets covered so I want to protect my financial assets.  Been buying precious metals on the dips.  Been keeping an eye on Jim Sinclair's websites.  This guy has a lot of experience and I think will be proven right on his gold predictions.

http://www.jsmineset.com/ is his site.

Offline Aunt Bee

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 04:02:40 PM »
Food and food preparation has been my main focus up til now.  None of us take prescription meds yet but I have stocked up on over the counter stuff.  I have all the toilitries and cleaning supplies covered too and have started on ammo but we are considering looking into reloading so I've put the ammo on hold for a while until we can weigh the costs and make a good decision.

I'm starting to focus on getting my household more organized and getting the finanaces where I would like them to be.  This economy has been an eye opener and even though our home and land are paid for, I would like to be debt free.  As far as the household organization...with all the stress that we've all felt lately, the last thing I need is a chaotic home.  I'm very busy and tend to stock up on stuff faster than I can get it put away or have a place for it. 

My main rule in preps is not to get anything we wouldn't use anyway.  That may change at some point but for now I have a ways to go in daily necessities.

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 06:44:38 PM »
The medication issue worries me also.  I mail order 3 mos supplies through our insurance and hope that TS DOESN'T HTF at the end of a prescription!  I've also heard it recommended to start putting back a couple of pills a month and then rotate them, slowly building a small back-up supply.  That would work okay on my Prozac but not so much on my husband's blood pressure meds!

For de-stressing, knitting helps me tremendously and also produces another item that provides for my family.

I also take lots of meds and over the years have built a large supply (almost 6 months worth now) that I keep at all times. You can put aside a pill now and then and keep track that way or get your doctor to write it for an extra one a day. Talk to him and tell him that you trying to save up a small stash for an emergency and he should work with you on it. Blood pressure, diabetes and serious problem really require the individual to stash meds just because of the seriousness of the condition.

Offline Mrs. ElyasWolff

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 09:45:52 PM »
I don't know if everyone has a GoodWill store near them or even heard of it and for those that haven't it is a second hand store. I love going there for jars, tins and all sorts of stuff for cheaper just used slightly. My favorite thing to look for though is how to books even though with the internet you hardly need books, but if shtf I am not going to be able to count on the internet so I like having hard copies. I just came back from Goodwill now with a treasure, a book called "Back To Basics" printed in 1981 and it has nearly everything in it, building log cabin, canning, gardening, winter gardening, making leather, blacksmithing, trapping, etc..., everything for only five bucks. In the back it even has old games and how to dance the do si do. lol   :D
I would like to learn all these skills but there is a lot so I like to have this hard copy to go by after shtf.
-Christi   ;D

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 04:54:21 PM »
Well, the wine was a bust, not sure what I did wrong.  For stress relief I am storing good old Jack Daniels.

GroundPounder

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 09:34:35 AM »
Well, the wine was a bust, not sure what I did wrong.  For stress relief I am storing good old Jack Daniels.

Good plan!  You get get the big bottles at Costco at a good price.  Problem is every time I try to stock up I always end up using it!  :)

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 10:19:34 AM »
For the Stein family, it is financial and food.  Financial for everything we may need to buy and food for the possibility that money can't buy it.

Fortunately, we cook almost everything from scratch.  We have rice, flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder stored.  I consider this the basics needed for survival and am adding more luxuries as we have the cash.

On the financial front, it is completing our Get Out of Debt program which will finally finish this year after 2 hard years of work.  It also involves keeping tabs on Wall Street to know how, when and where to move money around as well as having cash on hand.

Kara

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2008, 09:55:32 AM »
Right now, my prep is focused on making sure my house is in good repair and that my storage space is increased. We've lived in our house for 8 years, and I think it just got tired. It's an old house, and has started to fall apart here and there, so I want to make sure it's solid before any SHTF scenario, especially since I live in North Dakota, and the winters here can be brutal and long some years.

I am also really into edible landscaping. My front and back yards are blank slates, and that will allow me to put all new plants in, all of which will give me food or fiber of some kind. After a few years of planting I expect that I won't have any grass left, so it will truly be an urban homestead. The fiber I am referring to is flax. currently I am researching how to raise and retrieve the fiber out of flax. I crochet and sew, and being able to have those skills, and the supplies close to hand in order to make things, could give me something to sell/trade with in a SHTF scenario. It looks time consuming, but it's not hard, and I think it will be fun. The spinning will give me something to keep my hands busy on nights when I have time to watch a little tv.

kimrpeterson

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 04:18:58 PM »
My husband and I are focused on the following:
1. Financial - understanding (as much as possible) where our economy is headed,  Learning about gold and silver investing, starting up small businesses with skills and merchandise that can be bartered in a depression, downsizing and moving our net worth into more stable areas.
2. Gardening - We started 3 deep bed gardens this past year with some success.  I will be digging out more this month before we get too much snow.  We are purchasing a greenhouse and researching how to grow in an extremely short growing season.  I have planted several fruit trees this year. 
3. Animals - We will be purchasing chickens and putting up a hen house this spring.  I have raised chickens for eggs and butchered for meat in the past.  We are raising and training German Shepherd dogs (one of our small businesses) for search and rescue and protection. 
4. Guns/Ammo - I am taking a defensive handgun class in the next 2 weeks and will continue with my training.  I hope to apply for a CCW within the month.  My husband is starting to manufacture high power airguns. We are stocking up on ammo (just spent a hour at Bass Pro Shop last night)
5. Home - We currently live in a log home on a couple of acres, and are converting the fireplace to an insert so we can heat with wood.  We just chopped over a cord of wood and are stacking it this weekend.  We need to look into getting a generator and outdoor sheds for more storage of food, water, etc.   
6. Food - Because I am a backpacker and camper, I have learned how to dehydrate just about everything.  I also cook outside in cast iron dutch ovens and am always learning more about this type of cooking. 

We still have a lot to learn, but are well on our way to becoming fairly self sufficient.  Not bad for a couple of 50 year olds raised in the big city. 

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2008, 05:06:48 PM »
Have to say I think its spread out across the board.  DW is always the functional prepper in our family .  Pre Y2k stratigies she worked so hard on have again fallen in to place here.  Alot of focus on food, protection, self suffiency, debt reduction, energy savings and independence from others. 

Each week I try to do something, not matter how large or small to add to the list.  A trip to the store reaps an extra package of food, ammo, battery or other usefull household consumed item. 

Concious of trying to save an extra $10 or $20 a week or so in cash to stow away.  Always aware to try to do "something every day".

For the last year due to early warnings in various websites we began to prep.  As of today we have a pretty good program in place, but we still know the need to it keep going.

If nothing else, I notice we dont shop for  things "we ran out of" as much any more.  So at least Im saving some gas and travel time to and from the convience store. And it feels good to just go down stairs and bring up that "extra item"  when needed.   

Currently we're planning on the upcoming new england winter and spring garden season so some garden planning and energy conservation is in effect here.

One step at a time I guess!

Sorry for the rant, just my two cents!

GroundPounder

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2008, 07:54:39 PM »
Kim - I am really impressed with what you and your husband are doing.  You are very fortunate to live in a place you can make those sort of preparations.  It sounds like you are doing exactly what you need to do.  Please keep us posted on how you are doing and your lessons learned.  That is what this group is all about.

Slowfade

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 05:44:17 AM »
Food storage is also my focus...it's the one area I have the most control over.
But I'm trying to do at least a little in every area to at least some degree.
I'm also working on a small library...at first it was mostly Christian materials, but have recently started looking for any kind of educational books that might help with survival...I did find some first aid manuals to keep with the first aid kits.
Prescription meds were a concern of mine too. I'm taking antidepressants right now. They've helped me immensely, but I'm also pretty messed up when I don't take them. All I can think to do is cut back when/where I can and save up for future use. I have to be really careful doing that, and it has to be a really gradual thing. My long term goal is to get off of them altogther, but until then, I'll continue to put back as much as possible. Hubby is on blood pressure meds, so not sure about his.

The two things I'm most concerned about, and coming up short on the most, is water and some kind of security. I haven't really decided on how to deal with it, other than just buying a few extra jugs of water for the pantry, and then buying some pepper spray somewhere.

GroundPounder

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 08:06:28 AM »
The two things I'm most concerned about, and coming up short on the most, is water and some kind of security. I haven't really decided on how to deal with it, other than just buying a few extra jugs of water for the pantry, and then buying some pepper spray somewhere.

For the water I would recommend some sort of filtration system and purification system.  There is a lot out there on the market.  Consider your 'stash' of water for short term emergencies and your filtration system for longer term.  DOnt underestimate the amount of water you will need.  At least 1 gallon per person per day.  You may even need more if its during the summertime and you are having to do a lot of physical labor. 

As for safety, nothing is more effective than a firearm.  Possessing one is a personal choice, but I think you will find that an overwhelming majority of 'preppers' possess them.  They are the great equalizer.  IMO a rifle is the best home defense weapon.  A handgun is excellent protection when away from home. 

Good luck.