Author Topic: What's your prep "focus"?  (Read 28049 times)

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
Re: What's your prep "focus"?
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2009, 12:05:35 PM »
Excellent post PeaceChicken, some well rounded advice I can pass along to a friend just coming into awareness herself. Best of luck on your journey.

PeaceChicken

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2009, 01:53:39 PM »
Excellent post PeaceChicken, some well rounded advice I can pass along to a friend just coming into awareness herself. Best of luck on your journey.

Did any of you guys girls feel overwhelmed at first? Not knowing where to start because everything seemed urgent?

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2009, 02:02:27 PM »
Did any of you guys girls feel overwhelmed at first? Not knowing where to start because everything seemed urgent?
Absolutely. Then I looked at it as priority: water, food, shelter. In truth other than training I haven't gotten past these three yet, that's a goal for this year.

Offline madashell

• Prepper
    • Sugar Creek Homestead
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2009, 02:39:37 PM »
Food Storage and Gardening are my top two.

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2009, 02:55:14 PM »
Absolutely. Then I looked at it as priority: water, food, shelter. In truth other than training I haven't gotten past these three yet, that's a goal for this year.

This statement applies to me as well. I had to start with what I felt were the critical items, water & food. For now shelter is good as in paid for so I will sit pretty until I can get out of civilization. I have simple food stores and have started a garden so that's good to go and for water, well, I seem to consume what I store so that's a work in progress. I was overwhelmed early on but I came to realize what I needed for me and everything has fallen into place since. All in all this journey of preparation is a great learning experience I would not trade. It's also quite gratifying to see friends 'come into the fold' without me even saying a word.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2009, 03:45:29 PM »
That's all you can do.  One step at a time. It won't be long before you have what you need.

Offline nikki1843

• Survivor
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2009, 07:35:31 PM »
I just started a few months ago but have been focusing on food to last 3 months for now. I am almost there and will soon begin working on longer term storage for food. I have also started planning a garden for the spring. My next step will be getting a riffle of some sort. I have never had experience with guns but as a single mother with 2 kids at home I want to be able to protect them and provide meat for them if I need to.

Winchester32

« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2009, 12:37:57 AM »
Well, sometimes the order of importance varies, but it's most always food storage first, then ammo, medical supplies and gardening. 

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2009, 08:03:05 PM »
(This thread has been selected as a “best of” thread by Heavy G.  You can search for “best of” threads by using that term in the search mode.  Everyone on the forum is encouraged to reply to a post they think is “best of” worthy so we can all search for them.  For more information on the “best of” thing, see http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3423.0 )

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2009, 10:31:07 PM »
Our main focus is food, water and pet supplies. I've been into hunting, fishing and general bushcraft all my life so I've always had alot of stuff. The whole food, money, debt free stuff came into existence about 1982 when my wife and myself were both laid off from the high-tec world at the same time. Went from 96K yearly to 12K almost over night. Lost everything, except each other.  We learned some very hard lessons but emerged better for it. At first it was very hard to adjust to but through time we started seeing the benefits and after that just kept after it.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2009, 08:07:17 PM »

Lost everything, except each other. 

You are so far ahead of the general population.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2009, 09:45:40 PM »
Thank you...I would say to everyone when the going gets tough, pull together, not apart.....I can not recall anytime that if I needed help lifting or tugging on something that it did not work better when we work together...same for this problem and this group...we share and work together even though we may be miles and states apart we pull and work together. Enough said.

Evie

« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
My main focus is shopping and living in a frugal manner.  I shop sales, coupon, barter  and use freecycle.com  We waste very little anymore and compost what we can.  My husband and I both cook from scratch  and have cut out junk food...well he has to have his chocolate fix!  I've learned to make things that are clones of name brand products, such as Gatorade, chips, tortillas, crackers, dips, sauces and more.  I still do long term storage, canning and gardening.   We are fortunate that both our parents took such good care of their hand tools, treadle sewing machines and wood stoves.  In addition to being a pack rat for years, it has netted me many needful things as I de-clutter to make more storage space for essentials.

Winchester32

« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2009, 01:01:29 PM »
My main focus is shopping and living in a frugal manner.  I shop sales, coupon, barter  and use freecycle.com  We waste very little anymore and compost what we can.  My husband and I both cook from scratch  and have cut out junk food...well he has to have his chocolate fix!  I've learned to make things that are clones of name brand products, such as Gatorade, chips, tortillas, crackers, dips, sauces and more.  I still do long term storage, canning and gardening.   We are fortunate that both our parents took such good care of their hand tools, treadle sewing machines and wood stoves.  In addition to being a pack rat for years, it has netted me many needful things as I de-clutter to make more storage space for essentials.

Gotta love those treadle sewing machines.  I am in my 40's, and that is all I have ever sewn on.  I tried one of the modern gadgets a few years ago........couldn't stand it. 

It sounds like are right where you need to be........and where I almost am.  Still got a few ends to tie up.

Gloria

« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2009, 03:08:07 PM »
After reading this where am I? where is my focus/  Just trying to make sure I haven't forgotten anything.  You know how something will nag at the back of your mind and you just can't put your finger on it?  So my focus I guess is learning what the others are doing and trying to see if that fits.  Great posts.

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2009, 09:38:10 AM »
Focus:  Transition to Long-term sustainability.

Can I do what I want to do / need to do, for some indefinite period, without depleting my resources?

For example, the purpose of food storage is to ensure the ability to transition from grocery shopping to grazing from the back yard...

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2009, 09:45:33 AM »
Short Term Focus: Learn to garden so as to rely less on food system.

Longer Term: Less reliance on public utilities.....wind/solar in the works

Log Term: 95% Self Relience (Can dig oil well on property  :))

coffecat

« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2009, 11:54:54 AM »
Think I have finally worked into a kind-of survival mode with my two older girls.  I help a lot with their gardens and can garden some myself, and I can help with their children so they can get rest when they need it.  This week got one daughter's garden planted.  Serious yard saleing this sat.  Stumbled on a sale in a house of someone who went to nursing home.  They did not want to fool with shed, so I called SIL and he helped me dig out stuff - new boil canner for $5.00.  4boxes of jars and 12 lrings !!!!  Some other things too - someone on here mentioned clothing as preps and I am finding good socks and got 50 cent brand new sneakers !  Got some kero - good quality, and some sevin 10 which I think is wonderful, few other items.  SIL got some tools to complete two basic sets.  They have his tools and are completing her set "the upstairs" set with tools of sizes she can handle.  I got a Stanley Sawtooth saw - very manageable saw for me.  Love it !  I can't use the big saws.  I buy glass hurricane chimneys whenever I can find them.  Got one this week.  If I can add this to prepping, the wilderness survival forums has thru trapperjacksurvival some interesting little videos on using pine sap to do some things and use as fuel - very interesting.  C.

Offline SLOHomemaker

• Prepper
    • Musings from the Peanut Gallery
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2009, 12:20:18 AM »
I have been working toward where I am since 1994, which is not as far as some of the other folks here. I revived my homemaker skills: sewing, baking, food storage, cooking from scratch and canning. I had a nasty fall a few years ago (long story for another thread) from which I received enough cash to pay off the accumulated debt from raising two boys with hardly any money and putting a few bucks away for later.

1. Cash - my old debt and car are paid off. DF was Mr. Frugal Forever and has no debt except the house. An FYI - he was about to take the cash out of his savings account and pay off the house. As he mentioned it to his brother, BigBro said: "hear these two words" Imputed Income". He explained about how Clinton in 1995 had thought up this was to move every homeowner in America up one tax bracket. I will post my research in the Financial thread. Bottom line - kept the mortgage. Also salted a bit of cash, coins and gold for a Rainy Day. We have His N Her tobacco cans of each. (Tobacco covers up the smell of paper...DF visits the ATM daily - just in case)

2A. Food  - We have about 75 lbs of various dried beans with which I am QUITE proficient at preparing in various combinations. We have serious stash of spices by the pound that I use in Indian and other ethnic recipes. I also have store-bought cans of beans, veggies and assorted fruits for ready-to-eat foods.  I am planning on getting dried milk, powdered eggs, oatmeal, nuts and more flour. I keep about 20+ pounds of ww flour for my bread baking (every Friday morning) and once-a-month oatmeal cookie bakeathon for the 7 grandkids. Bought a pressure canner and will be using it for the first time tomorrow when I can some chicken stock and chicken meat. Have 8 dozen quart jars and 3 dozen pint jars for canning with lids. Need to go to Wally World and get more. Have a stock of canning salt and pickling lime. I reckon the stuff on hand will last about 6-9 months.

2B. Garden - I dug up the perimeter of the yard a couple years ago and began preparing it for gardening. I have a nice patch about 11' by 45' on one side of the house and have posted on my blog at http://anotherjewishrepublican.blogspot.com/2009/07/garden-pictures-from-june-16.html.  If you look closely, you can see the drip irrigation system I installed. I have since planted the root crops, another batch of romaine lettuce, more tomato plants, more squash and cucumbers and broccoli/cauliflower and cabbage. And more fenugreek. I love fenugreek leaves stir-fried. I plan to plant the front later. Probably have to start some plants on my own in pots first and them transplant to the front yard. I also want to finish digging up the corner part of the garden and plant more tomatoes. One can never have enough tomatoes in the garden. Canning tomatoes gives meaning and purpose to canners.  They are also way too versatile: sauces, plain, ketchup, soups, pickles....

2C. Water - We have about 25 gallons on hand at all times. That will last about 2 weeks if we just it just for drinking/.cooking. Planning on getting a 55 gallon  rain barrel and filling it for the garden with a hose... just in case, for sanitation. Bathing will be optional and infrequent if the water gets knocked out. This area needs serious work.
I have 4 gallons of bleach, and some rudimentary water filter straws I bought like in 1994. Only used one once. The filtrate taste was enough for me to put them away and pray for water. We had a drought that year. Guess the Big Guy was not humored by my behavior.  ???
3. EEK/BOB bags: DF bought expensive EEK bags as a surprise before consulting with me. They were well stocked, but I supplemented with granola bars, better emergency blankets, a few additional first aid supplies (he is a doctor), can openers, canned tuna and organized them to where most important items were within reach. The bags are BRIGHT ORANGE, so I may switch it all out to other backpacks we have laying around. He also purchased new sleeping bags and a nice, but heavy tent. We have GOT to start COMMUNICATING...LOL. He also needs to put the EEK bag in his trunk. He travels too much and too far to not have it with him and available. In his office in town will do him no good if TSHTF and he is in the Central Valley. Although he does carry a case of water bottles and V8 juice in the car at all times. *sigh* One thing at a time....

4. Communications - I was going to go make friends at the LDS church. I have heard rumors (LOL) that many churches have HAM radio folks to help keep families in touch during emergencies. Since Son #1 (with the 7 kids & wife) is attending in KS, figure me in CA can keep in touch with him at least. Have cell phones. Which will probably be dead from an EMF or satellite problem with my luck.

5. Entertainment - We both gave up cable service several years ago, mainly to save money, but also to save our brains from the zombies. We listen to the radio in the car only. I may have SERIOUS withdrawl requiring MEDICATION and COUNSELING from the Internet when it goes down.  >:(  Good thing he's a trained Dr. Shrink! We are both  bibliophile and have invested heavily during our single years in books. He has books I haven't read and I have books he didn't know existed. Plus we have Hebrew books to study. He has a trombone and electronic keyboard (if there is juice) and I have a flute. We also both have computers if there is electricity. I have painting, craft and quilting supplies to last me FOREVER.

6. Protection - we are weak in this area. Have a 12 gauge Mossberg and .357 Taurus revolver. Enough ammo for a little practice (maybe 500 rounds each) and and some protection (maybe 50 rounds of hollow point and 200 rounds of 00 buckshot). 5 so-so folding knives and 4 good folding knives. Baseball bats. Need to get plywood and bolts so that windows can be boarded up, if it becomes necessary. Gotta find a class for him for gun safety. I don't want him to have to learn THAT on the fly.

7. Tools - Compressor, electric drill. Hand garden tiller, hoe, shovels, rakes, pitchfork, lots of small hand tools, hammers, crowbar, screwdrivers (can double as weapons), hammers, etc. Also have putty for reinstalling glass in windows, car tire repair stuff and emergency tools in my car. He has not gotten to this stage for his car.

8. Clothes - I have the electric sewing machine and 10 boxes of material, plus notions and needles. Also have patterns coming out my pattootie, even some from when the boys were small. Kids patterns from infant to when I was X-large. Men's, women's, kids. Easy and elaborate. (Confession: I moonlighted at a fabric store for six months. In 1993. But I was careful NOT to pick fabrics with obvious "dating".)

9. Transportation - We both keep our cars in good mechanical order. We have the BEST mechanic in the world who sees the cars every 3-4 months and keeps the records for us. I have a set of snow tires for my car and he is getting new tires for his. I suppose it is time to change the tires back to the regular radials now. (I was in Colorado Springs for 6 months and had the snow tires put on in October. Drove back to PSRK in January. Okay, will call Firestone tomorrow.) Haven't got any stored fuel.

10. Cooking - I have a plan for a solar cooker. Have a copper fire pit that I was going to put a tire on with a thermometer. Then a piece of glass over that. WIll make reflectors from old boxes and aluminum foil. Project for next week. Have all the piece but the old tire. I am not sacrificing good tire to this project. Another reason to call Firestone.

11. Most Important - Spiritual - He is better at this than I am. He prays and studies regularly...We at least talk about this together weekly on Sabbath. We have the necessary prayer books, Torah books and ritual items to go it alone in this area at home. I need to improve in this area.

12. SOC - DF has lived in this house for over 10 years, but, because of his heavy travel schedule, didn't really get close to the neighbors. I have started talking to two: the ones next door are elderly gentlemen who have a food dehydrator, food stores organized in the garage and are avid gardeners. Lady neighbor across the street has a big dog, chickens and a garden in the back yard. And an annoying cat that poops in my backyard. (I now close the gates.) Will be getting to know the other people in the near future, probably will bake cookies and pass out to them. Might even share some of the melons. Naw, I'll dehydrate them for snacks. Oh, maybe with the two families with little kids...

Okay - I'm rambling. Time to sleep. Tomorrow I'm trying out the new Pressure Canner. Chickens are cool enough to put in fridge now.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2009, 02:17:31 AM »
I have been working toward where I am since 1994, which is not as far as some of the other folks here. I revived my homemaker skills: sewing, baking, food storage, cooking from scratch and canning. I had a nasty fall a few years ago (long story for another thread) from which I received enough cash to pay off the accumulated debt from raising two boys with hardly any money and putting a few bucks away for later.

1. Cash - my old debt and car are paid off. DF was Mr. Frugal Forever and has no debt except the house. An FYI - he was about to take the cash out of his savings account and pay off the house. As he mentioned it to his brother, BigBro said: "hear these two words" Imputed Income". He explained about how Clinton in 1995 had thought up this was to move every homeowner in America up one tax bracket. I will post my research in the Financial thread. Bottom line - kept the mortgage. Also salted a bit of cash, coins and gold for a Rainy Day. We have His N Her tobacco cans of each. (Tobacco covers up the smell of paper...DF visits the ATM daily - just in case)

2A. Food  - We have about 75 lbs of various dried beans with which I am QUITE proficient at preparing in various combinations. We have serious stash of spices by the pound that I use in Indian and other ethnic recipes. I also have store-bought cans of beans, veggies and assorted fruits for ready-to-eat foods.  I am planning on getting dried milk, powdered eggs, oatmeal, nuts and more flour. I keep about 20+ pounds of ww flour for my bread baking (every Friday morning) and once-a-month oatmeal cookie bakeathon for the 7 grandkids. Bought a pressure canner and will be using it for the first time tomorrow when I can some chicken stock and chicken meat. Have 8 dozen quart jars and 3 dozen pint jars for canning with lids. Need to go to Wally World and get more. Have a stock of canning salt and pickling lime. I reckon the stuff on hand will last about 6-9 months.

2B. Garden - I dug up the perimeter of the yard a couple years ago and began preparing it for gardening. I have a nice patch about 11' by 45' on one side of the house and have posted on my blog at http://anotherjewishrepublican.blogspot.com/2009/07/garden-pictures-from-june-16.html.  If you look closely, you can see the drip irrigation system I installed. I have since planted the root crops, another batch of romaine lettuce, more tomato plants, more squash and cucumbers and broccoli/cauliflower and cabbage. And more fenugreek. I love fenugreek leaves stir-fried. I plan to plant the front later. Probably have to start some plants on my own in pots first and them transplant to the front yard. I also want to finish digging up the corner part of the garden and plant more tomatoes. One can never have enough tomatoes in the garden. Canning tomatoes gives meaning and purpose to canners.  They are also way too versatile: sauces, plain, ketchup, soups, pickles....

2C. Water - We have about 25 gallons on hand at all times. That will last about 2 weeks if we just it just for drinking/.cooking. Planning on getting a 55 gallon  rain barrel and filling it for the garden with a hose... just in case, for sanitation. Bathing will be optional and infrequent if the water gets knocked out. This area needs serious work.
I have 4 gallons of bleach, and some rudimentary water filter straws I bought like in 1994. Only used one once. The filtrate taste was enough for me to put them away and pray for water. We had a drought that year. Guess the Big Guy was not humored by my behavior.  ???
3. EEK/BOB bags: DF bought expensive EEK bags as a surprise before consulting with me. They were well stocked, but I supplemented with granola bars, better emergency blankets, a few additional first aid supplies (he is a doctor), can openers, canned tuna and organized them to where most important items were within reach. The bags are BRIGHT ORANGE, so I may switch it all out to other backpacks we have laying around. He also purchased new sleeping bags and a nice, but heavy tent. We have GOT to start COMMUNICATING...LOL. He also needs to put the EEK bag in his trunk. He travels too much and too far to not have it with him and available. In his office in town will do him no good if TSHTF and he is in the Central Valley. Although he does carry a case of water bottles and V8 juice in the car at all times. *sigh* One thing at a time....

4. Communications - I was going to go make friends at the LDS church. I have heard rumors (LOL) that many churches have HAM radio folks to help keep families in touch during emergencies. Since Son #1 (with the 7 kids & wife) is attending in KS, figure me in CA can keep in touch with him at least. Have cell phones. Which will probably be dead from an EMF or satellite problem with my luck.

5. Entertainment - We both gave up cable service several years ago, mainly to save money, but also to save our brains from the zombies. We listen to the radio in the car only. I may have SERIOUS withdrawl requiring MEDICATION and COUNSELING from the Internet when it goes down.  >:(  Good thing he's a trained Dr. Shrink! We are both  bibliophile and have invested heavily during our single years in books. He has books I haven't read and I have books he didn't know existed. Plus we have Hebrew books to study. He has a trombone and electronic keyboard (if there is juice) and I have a flute. We also both have computers if there is electricity. I have painting, craft and quilting supplies to last me FOREVER.

6. Protection - we are weak in this area. Have a 12 gauge Mossberg and .357 Taurus revolver. Enough ammo for a little practice (maybe 500 rounds each) and and some protection (maybe 50 rounds of hollow point and 200 rounds of 00 buckshot). 5 so-so folding knives and 4 good folding knives. Baseball bats. Need to get plywood and bolts so that windows can be boarded up, if it becomes necessary. Gotta find a class for him for gun safety. I don't want him to have to learn THAT on the fly.

7. Tools - Compressor, electric drill. Hand garden tiller, hoe, shovels, rakes, pitchfork, lots of small hand tools, hammers, crowbar, screwdrivers (can double as weapons), hammers, etc. Also have putty for reinstalling glass in windows, car tire repair stuff and emergency tools in my car. He has not gotten to this stage for his car.

8. Clothes - I have the electric sewing machine and 10 boxes of material, plus notions and needles. Also have patterns coming out my pattootie, even some from when the boys were small. Kids patterns from infant to when I was X-large. Men's, women's, kids. Easy and elaborate. (Confession: I moonlighted at a fabric store for six months. In 1993. But I was careful NOT to pick fabrics with obvious "dating".)

9. Transportation - We both keep our cars in good mechanical order. We have the BEST mechanic in the world who sees the cars every 3-4 months and keeps the records for us. I have a set of snow tires for my car and he is getting new tires for his. I suppose it is time to change the tires back to the regular radials now. (I was in Colorado Springs for 6 months and had the snow tires put on in October. Drove back to PSRK in January. Okay, will call Firestone tomorrow.) Haven't got any stored fuel.

10. Cooking - I have a plan for a solar cooker. Have a copper fire pit that I was going to put a tire on with a thermometer. Then a piece of glass over that. WIll make reflectors from old boxes and aluminum foil. Project for next week. Have all the piece but the old tire. I am not sacrificing good tire to this project. Another reason to call Firestone.

11. Most Important - Spiritual - He is better at this than I am. He prays and studies regularly...We at least talk about this together weekly on Sabbath. We have the necessary prayer books, Torah books and ritual items to go it alone in this area at home. I need to improve in this area.

12. SOC - DF has lived in this house for over 10 years, but, because of his heavy travel schedule, didn't really get close to the neighbors. I have started talking to two: the ones next door are elderly gentlemen who have a food dehydrator, food stores organized in the garage and are avid gardeners. Lady neighbor across the street has a big dog, chickens and a garden in the back yard. And an annoying cat that poops in my backyard. (I now close the gates.) Will be getting to know the other people in the near future, probably will bake cookies and pass out to them. Might even share some of the melons. Naw, I'll dehydrate them for snacks. Oh, maybe with the two families with little kids...

Okay - I'm rambling. Time to sleep. Tomorrow I'm trying out the new Pressure Canner. Chickens are cool enough to put in fridge now.
Sounds like you got all the bases covered.

sage0925

« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2009, 02:18:14 AM »
Having been homeless and hungry before, my biggest focus is on those...well, we have no trouble with rent...so food is next on the list. We have a couple years worth of rice and beans (and pasta and wheat), all the vehicles are paid for, we have built a green house, I have more tools than one female should probably EVER be allowed to own (including a lot of manual tools that nobody even has anymore).

I have more clothes than god (just an expression, nobody get their panties in a wad), guns out the eyeballs...the only big thing we don't have that we are going to get soon is a hand pump or solar system for the well, and I'd like more in the way of ammo. Have 2 sawdust toilets built for compost.

Our house is heated with wood...bought a couple of 2-man cross cut saws, in case fuel becomes an issue. Bought a crapload of herbal seeds in case of no doctor in the house...including opium poppy...PM me if you want more info on that...bought vegetable seeds that are suitable to our climate...when we run out of anything (mouthwash, toothpaste), we buy 2 of everything (one to store, one to use)...Did I miss anything? Please tell me if I did.

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2009, 04:52:30 AM »
I focus on food...buying it and growing it and finding ways to make it taste good. I also make sure we have the suppllies needed to run the house smoothly, including gas and genny. My "food" includes herbs and the knowledge to use them.

Offline madashell

• Prepper
    • Sugar Creek Homestead
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2009, 08:18:38 AM »
I also tend to focus more on food. We just recently turned our 3rd bedroom into a food storage room for our dry storage foods and supplies, I have been canning the harvest from my garden and trying out new recipes for using my food storage. This spring I planted my garden from heirloom seeds that I started and I am thrilled with how well they have done. Yesterday I canned 3 pints of whole red tomatoes, 2 pints of green tomato salsa, 1 pint of yellow tomato salsa and 1 pint of yellow tomato preserves. I also sliced and froze about 10 peppers. We have 6 laying hens and will be inheriting more from our neighbors when they move this weekend. I'd like to start raising broilers soon. My husband and I are on the look out for a country home and hope someone will buy our place so we can move. Here are some pics of my place and our preps http://www.flickr.com/photos/mygarden2009/. Our goals is to pay off our last credit card this year then sell our home, truck and travel trailer and move to a cheaper country home with a paid for used truck.

MRS. DREYER
GUN TOTIN, BIBLE THUMPIN,
HOMESCHOOLIN, TRUCK DRIVEN,
REDNECK AMERICAN PATRIOT.

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2009, 08:34:15 AM »
i was a boy scout so i had the gear mostly so i focus on food, meds, money, then weapons (i live in an apt and don't have a gun safe so the mrs. says no go)

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2009, 08:52:29 AM »
My focuses are:

1. Knowledge
2. Mental preparation for bad times and getting through them
3. Guns/ammo
4. Stored food
5. Miscellaneous needed supplies (water purification, batteries, medical)

I am not set up for homesteading so I only have a working knowledge, but not active preps in, gardening, water supply, heating/cooling, advanced medical.  But I have basic knowledge and books on these.  So if a homestead situation presented itself, I could carry my preps into these areas.

Offline HelenWheels

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hooah!
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
My prep focus is to not sit down and weep in frustration, nor to run around in circles screeching like a banshee, nor to bury my head in the sand.

That being said, where I am right now, I'm still storing food. My new dehydrator will be here in less than a week (hopefully) and I am going to start drying as much food as possible. My 10-yr old car is with the family mechanic right now, getting a new tranny, all new brakes, tune up, oil/filters change and a general checkup. Should be good to go for another 50-75k (has 190k now).

My biggest concern/worry/issue is that it is me, alone, no one else. I can prep for myself but when TSHTF, I can't do it alone. Like I've read/heard, there are 168 hours in a week - I certainly have to sleep sometime. Gotta use the bathroom sometime. Gotta cook/eat sometime.

<sigh> ???

Angie

« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2009, 12:54:46 PM »
Knowledge is #1 Heavy is right
next is food
then guns and bullets
emergency stuff - radios, compass, firestarter etc.
gas for the car

But number one is knowledge.  Without it I couldn't store my for long term.
Without it - I wouldn't know how to shoot, or what ammo to buy or what gun to buy
Without it - I wouldn't know how to use Sta-bile for my gas storage
Without it - I couldn't start a fire

The list goes on.

Offline JeanetteW

• TSP Posse Boss
  • Survivor
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2009, 10:20:38 AM »
It seems like our focus has changed over time. Here is a rough sketch of the things we focused in the order of focus:

• Money: We figured the single thing that was most likely to happen as a job layoff or some other loss of income. To prepare for this we determined our actual cost of living for one year and then diligently put money in the bank until we reached that number. By cutting back frivolous consumer expenses we were able to same a lot more and reach our goal faster.
  • Debt: Once we had our safety cushion in place we focused on debt elimination. Less debt means lower month-to-month expenditures making the year's savings stretch a lot further. We turned all the money we had been putting away for savings towards paying off debt. It disappeared FAST!
  • Security: We used to live in the city and we determined that this was unsafe, not to mention unpleasant. We saved up more money and moved to a smaller community in a rural area where life is a lot safer and a LOT more pleasant. We also added some livestock at this time - mostly for fun - but didn't focus on super efficient production.
  • Food: Determine actual food needs for our household and put away a one year supply. Use and cycle the supply.
  • Other essentials: Tools, non-foodstuffs, etc.

My current focus is self-sufficiency - especially my water supply. While I have a year round water just a couple of hundred yards away. I'd like to have full access to my well without being dependent on the grid. Sure, this has obvious SHTF advantages, but the pump is one of my largest energy consumers so getting it off grid will save me a lot of money too.

Once my water supply is self-sufficient, I'm going to focus on my food production. I'm doing well with livestock right now, but could do better. I experimented with a garden for the first time this year, but had disappointing results. I have problems with soil quality (too acid) and irrigation, so this is next on the list.

Taking care of these concerned should keep me busy for a year. :D
 --
 Jeanette

Offline madashell

• Prepper
    • Sugar Creek Homestead
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2009, 07:50:55 AM »
I need advice on my prep focus and was wondering if you nice ladies could help me  ;) My prep focus had been 1) Food & Supplies 2) Security  3) Pay Off Debt  4) Save $$ but now I am thinking about changing my priorities. We have been spending our money on food, garden, guns, ammo, etc. and paying down our debt but by doing this we haven't put hardly any money into savings. We live paycheck to paycheck and a job loss would be catastrophic. We have a small travel trailer that was to be our "bug out" mobile in the case of an evacuation for hurricane (and we use it for vacations) but I am thinking about selling it. Question is...do we save the money or pay down our debt? The Dave Ramsey plan would have us pay down our debt but I think it would be wiser to hold on to the cash. My husband thinks we probably shouldn't sell the trailer at all but if we keep it we'd need to put money into it to fix it up. I'm not sure what to do. Thoughts?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2009, 07:24:49 PM »
madashell...

It sounds like you are doing very well on all your self-sufficiency and prepping... and your focus on reducing debt is key. I think you need to have some emergency savings first, though... (you may already have this in place). I'm thinking you are already pretty far along on the prepping... istm that you need to really put a plan together to get the debt gone as much as you can. The savings are important, but the debt is so toxic, that once you get your emergency fund together, I would consider putting all efforts into reducing that first, if it were me.

As for the travel trailer... you have to analyze it in terms of how much it would be worth to you vs. how much you can get for it. It may well be that you couldn't get enough by selling it to offset its value to you.

The value of sitting down and really putting the numbers on paper (debt, income, expenses, etc.) and making a plan together might be something to consider.

Best of luck to you (and I love the pix you posted).

Our prep focus is still mainly on growing/storing food and looking for a BOL.