Author Topic: security  (Read 4633 times)

coffecat

security
« on: March 02, 2009, 06:25:29 PM »
I need a little help with this - I have a small very solid built shed with a handle that locks with a small key.  I would think it is breakable though I have no idea how.  I do have one of those circular locks that cannot be cut off.  Should I put on a heavy duty padlock and use the lock in addition to the door lock?  Am living alone.  C.

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
Re: security
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 08:00:56 PM »
coffecat I am overly protective of my stuff so I would say 'Yes' add the extra lock. I too live alone and am always trying to think of ways to deter possible thieves or predators. I lock everything all the time and I have double locks on my shed as well in addition to a motion sensor light. I live in a pretty populated place where extraneous activity would be noticed so that helps but I am ever the paranoid type. I hope to put security bars on my home but I fear that will only draw attention to my place. I would suggest the additional lock as well as a motion sensor light.

coffecat

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 05:32:26 PM »
Thank you lots.  I lost my husband a year ago and just don't know what to do about quite a few things.  I can manage some things but a shed just dumbfounds me - security never having been considered seriously before.  I did do the security lights out back.  Bear trouble - 450 lbs. worth last spring.  C.

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 06:07:09 PM »
Bear trouble - 450 lbs. worth last spring.  C.

well, i cant imagine............i just worry about skunks.....

if you have the security light that should help tons, few thieves and criminal want to be seen

amberwolf

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 10:39:04 AM »
Having a dog has always helped me feel secure. When my Shepherd barks I look out at the back porch, if the motion sensor light is on then I know something is prowling, or was. Nothing has ever occurred since having that dog out back, a shepherds bark is the best deterrent I've known. And you know what would be a great idea for a new invention? A remote control that will release the collar from the chain, just in case you want the dog to further chase the prowler.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 07:26:06 PM »
At the risk of being contrary, I believe that two locks could attract undue attention especially such a heavy duty lock. What I would suggest, if you are able, is adding a latch say at the bottom of the door, normally unseen by the cursory viewer. This way you still have the added security without the attention. I do love those circular locks though, they are so sturdy!

Another thing I would suggest is adding something that looks like a 'gate' something like a simple frame with some chicken wire, even better if it has some barbed wire on it to deter the bears. It gives the impression that there's lots of stinky undesirable manure inside, thus using assumption as part of your defense from prowlers.

Those things aside, I am sorry for your loss. Bravo for being so prepared!

Offline fngrlickingood

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 01:54:20 AM »
More locks are always good but I wouldn't put so many on that it would draw attention to the shed like another member mentioned. I have always thought that if someone is going to get in they are going to find a way in even if it means taking an axe to the side of your shed and literally breaking their way in. I really like the idea of motion sensor lights and, if you are really concerned about someone trying to get in, I'd link them to some sort of battery backup so even if the power is out you are able to see if anything/anyone is out there. Dogs are a great idea too, most run of the mill, steal a few things here or there, criminals won't want to mess with a dog... but everyone knows a bullet (or maybe even a nice juicy steak) can take care of a dog real quick so I'd never rely 100% on an animal for protection but again, a great deterrent.

Offline ClarkB

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 07:57:51 AM »
You could install a deadbolt security lock, of the kind that has a vertical in that engages and makes the door and jam one piece.  The lock plate on the outside won't show that there is a vertical pin deadbolt on the inside.  Make sure that the hinges can't have their pins pulled, otherwise the lock does no good.  You can add some sort of 'pins' along the hinge side of the door.  These will engage when the door is closed and make it nearly impossible to separate from the door jam.  For the door jam pins you can just install some lag bolts so that their head sticks out about a half an inch.  Then drill some holes in the hinge side of the door so that the heads of the lag bolts fit into the recesses you drilled.  If you need more security than that, then build a wall about 10 inches out from the current shed wall, fill with a rebar grid, pour in concrete, and Viola!  instant bank vault!

Offline mrs gator

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 11:43:53 AM »
coffecat I am overly protective of my stuff so I would say 'Yes' add the extra lock. I too live alone and am always trying to think of ways to deter possible thieves or predators. I lock everything all the time and I have double locks on my shed as well in addition to a motion sensor light. I live in a pretty populated place where extraneous activity would be noticed so that helps but I am ever the paranoid type. I hope to put security bars on my home but I fear that will only draw attention to my place. I would suggest the additional lock as well as a motion sensor light.

One thing to always remember about something like is if something like a fire happened and the windows were the only means of escape.

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 03:55:50 PM »
One thing to always remember about something like is if something like a fire happened and the windows were the only means of escape.

very true mrs gator, this is a thought i have not fully addressed although it has crossed my mind.

Offline mrs gator

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 07:38:44 PM »
very true mrs gator, this is a thought i have not fully addressed although it has crossed my mind.

I few years ago I was reading an article about a family that couldn't escape because of bars and now that thought has been with me ever since. I say as long as you have a good mapped out escape plan you should be fine, but that story still scared me from installing something like that in our house.

johncoths

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 09:44:25 AM »
You should start thinking about your own security. I think your home security is never an issue to take lightly. Get three competitive quotes on home security systems from leading industry providers.. You should find some security companies that could help you about it.

Offline thefishingangler

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 10:18:43 AM »
Hello all.

What are you storing in your shed? I think you need to measure the loss against the cost of the high security shed. Although I know the original post only spoke of a lock that might cost you $30??

I think that a dog fits into the disaster commonality thing that our friend Jack always speaks of. A good dog will do more, as I'm sure you know, than keep away the bad guys.

Just my two cents worth.
Thefishingangler

Offline GotFurryKids

• Prepper
    • Smith & Werder, Inc
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 09:24:41 AM »

Here in El Paso, TX security bars on windows are very common. On some windows they use an emergency latch so that the bars can be opened from inside the house. I think this is a city ordinance.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 09:26:55 AM by GotFurryKids »