Author Topic: Podcast Transcribing  (Read 56084 times)

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
Podcast Transcribing
« on: April 10, 2012, 04:13:18 PM »
Is there any interest in transcribing the TSP podcasting to text?

I would make them easier to search for content. I am sure Jack would appreciate have having the shows in text.

With 877 Episodes this task may seems daunting..... but with a current 8,938 total TSP Forum members, maybe we could organize a 'crowd source' solution?

Let me know what you think.

Is it worth it?
any comments/questions/concerns?
would you be willing to help?

Offline Cianaodh

• Survivor
  • Dehydrated Water?
    • Temple Of the Standing Stones
Re: Podcast Transcribing
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 04:21:16 PM »
I think it would be awesome if someone were to do that but as you pointed out it would be a daunting task and a massive undertaking. It certainly could help people find content via search engines though. If I had more free time I would offer to help with such a project but alas, too many irons in the fire already I'm afraid.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 11:06:28 PM »
If we got 5% to help, we would only need to do 2 showes each.

Offline Thom

• Survivor
  • WARNING: Not suitable for public consumption
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 11:31:30 PM »
I think this is a great idea.  The main issue is to get a lost of people willing to do it and then pass out assign,entns so that there aren't ten people transcribing the same show.  I'm game as long as we do this before July.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 11:52:34 AM »
A better question maybe
'where do we put the text so people can search it?'

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 12:37:50 PM »
In order to make the job a little easier it should be possible to utilize some sort of voice recognition software to autotranscribe, then it would only require proofreading rather than typing everything out by hand from scratch.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 12:59:15 PM »
I used to be the transcriptionist for a podcast. I did something like 30 episodes (weekly episodes) for free before I petered out and just couldn't do it anymore.

Jack's podcasts run a full hour (at least they have for the past 2 years) and he is a FAST talker, which means he can spit out probably 250 words per minute, multiplied out over 60 minutes, which comes out to 15,000 words per podcast.

This would be a VERY daunting task. 

I personally would talk to a moderator about the following:

1) Is Jack open to this being done on a volunteer basis? (These podcasts are his copyrighted property, so transcribing them would need to be done with his permission only.) 

2) If it could be accomplished, is Jack willing to host an entire database of all those transcripts? And would that database be searchable? Or would a read-only sub-forum here in the forums be the ideal way to house them? (It's going to cost some time and money and administrative programming time
for someone on the admin team to set it all up. And then it will be a permanent additional alotment of bandwidth.)   

Offline Thom

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 01:07:27 PM »
In order to make the job a little easier it should be possible to utilize some sort of voice recognition software to autotranscribe, then it would only require proofreading rather than typing everything out by hand from scratch.

Unfortunately most of those would require some sort of calibration using the speaker's voice.  Over the past couple of months I've been listening to the podcast starting from the first episode and Jack's accent has changed a LOT over just the first 250 something episodes and it's different now than it was then.  Sadly it looks like the only option is going to be manual transcription.  Plus, there are moments where Jack makes umm, utterences about the traffic that probably wouldn't be included in a manual transcription that the software would pick up and decide what it thinks is best for the end result.  Trust me, an automatic solution is Mich preferable, but I don't think that's really possible unless someone knows of an application that would be able to overcome those issues.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 02:56:48 PM »
hosting it, creating a database, etc is a small part compared to the actual transcribing...
I'd be willing to create the front/back end web site, but dont have good enough ears for the transcribing part.

Offline Thom

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 03:55:56 PM »
Trust me, an automatic solution is Mich preferable, but I don't think that's really possible unless someone knows of an application that would be able to overcome those issues.

That should have read "much preferable".  For some reason the auto-correct on my Android tabled decided that I wanted to abbreviate Michigan there, I suppose.

I don't really think that the transcribing would be that much of a headache, if we can get 1) Jack's approval for this, and 2) enough people working it to make it possible.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 04:35:24 PM »
While we wait for Jack's response,

I am going to start transcribing, episode 877.
I think it's going take me a while.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 04:37:46 PM »
We could definitely do this, between us (the admin team). But... not for free.

By the way, I'm sure Jack would be thrilled with this idea, but I highly doubt he'd pay for it. I'll ask him.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 04:39:20 PM »
Just asked him. Will tell you what he says.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 04:55:46 PM »
While we wait for Jack's response,

I am going to start transcribing, episode 877.
I think it's going take me a while.
start transcribing, let me have the e-copy and i can post it on tsp somewhere..

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 04:57:29 PM »
start transcribing, let me have the e-copy and i can post it on tsp somewhere..

We can make a board for it specifically, Archer.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 04:58:12 PM »
We can make a board for it specifically, Archer.

Actually, a sub forum right here in show discussions would be perfect.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 05:35:04 PM »
and if we post the transcripts as threads in the forum, the forum could search them...

Offline Jonathon January

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 06:11:26 PM »
Reading..... Thats Sooo 1995

If i had more free and was a better typer id help. Sadly, I suck!

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 06:16:46 PM »
If we got 5% to help, we would only need to do 2 showes each.

Transcribing is a very cool idea, and I don't want to throw cold water on it, but you should be aware of these numbers as a reality check:

Members who have made 10 or more posts:  2024
Members who have made 100 or more posts:  539

Jack's podcasts run a full hour (at least they have for the past 2 years) and he is a FAST talker, which means he can spit out probably 250 words per minute, multiplied out over 60 minutes, which comes out to 15,000 words per podcast.

Thanks very much for that estimate!

I would not try it myself.  It takes me ages just to transcribe a little snippet from a song or a movie.  But some people seem to have the ear (and typing ability) for transcription.

and if we post the transcripts as threads in the forum, the forum could search them...

FYI, we are currently set to a maximum of 50,000 characters (call it 7000 words) per post.  Probably better to break up a podcast into several posts in one thread anyway.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 07:09:12 PM »
I would be more than okay with it being done and I would be happy to host the files here as we have WAY more space then you can imagine and I will be adding a second server for bandwidth long before we need hard disk space.

Considerations

1.  Don't underestimate the task at hand, 250 WPM is likely right for my speed, and a good key boarder is flying at 90 when copying text. 

2.  I would want all copies to fully credit TSP and link to the original episode so as they get republished they would dive traffic back here.

So yea go nuts if you want to do it but understand that it is a bigger job than many think it is.  Mods if this does gain legs I am happy to allow for the hosting of the documents. 

Offline Thom

• Survivor
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 07:42:22 PM »
A few thoughts that I had about this is that, if we had the information, we could start with the most downloaded episodes if that data is even available. 
While there is a ton of information included in most of the listener feedback and call-in shows, we should probably start with the shows with only one theme.
When we're talking about transcribing the shows, are we talking about just the show contents or are we talking about going from the time the mic is turned on until it's turned off at the end?

Again, just my thoughts, I'm just really volunteering to type..until July when I go to Basic Training.  They won't let me have my laptop there.  :-[

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 08:08:06 PM »
I would be more than okay with it being done and I would be happy to host the files here as we have WAY more space then you can imagine and I will be adding a second server for bandwidth long before we need hard disk space.

Considerations

1.  Don't underestimate the task at hand, 250 WPM is likely right for my speed, and a good key boarder is flying at 90 when copying text. 

2.  I would want all copies to fully credit TSP and link to the original episode so as they get republished they would dive traffic back here.

So yea go nuts if you want to do it but understand that it is a bigger job than many think it is.  Mods if this does gain legs I am happy to allow for the hosting of the documents.

I have a business where I purchase transcription services. It is very hard and expensive. I rotate through companies like crazy. They are usually good for a month or 2, then they get sloppy.

What about an option for MSB members? I think it would be a huge advantage in SHTF, as you could have the good ones in text and printed with the important docs. At 15,000 words an hour it would run $300-500 per episode. You could find a few people to do it for $75-100 per audio hour, but they would fad out FAST :o . You might be able to do it overseas for about $50 per audio hour, but I suspect you talk too fast, and use too much "technical Jargin" for that to work.

I ran Jack's voice through a couple voice recognition software packages, and he is at 52 and 64% recognition, and that is on new podcasts, without call in. So, that will not work, I used high end  voice  to text editors, and it was a no go. A professional version of Dragon, google, and one that can not be named as they are not currently selling their technology on the open market. That ran at 75%, but they want $.06-.10 per word, if they would even allow for it.

You could do a pretty quick processing of the 50% and use it a place holders for keywords. So you could search "calculator" and see it is in Podcast X at 1:15 3:45 5:17 etc which would be a great help.

But I would love to see it happen, lots of good info out here. The sheer volume of text would rank you at number 1 on most search engines.

PokeShell

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »

JackSpeaksWayToFast.  ;)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 08:40:09 PM »
I ran Jack's voice through a couple voice recognition software packages, and he is at 52 and 64% recognition, and that is on new podcasts, without call in. So, that will not work, I used high end  voice  to text editors, and it was a no go. A professional version of Dragon, google, and one that can not be named as they are not currently selling their technology on the open market. That ran at 75%, but they want $.06-.10 per word, if they would even allow for it.

Thanks for giving it a shot.  I was wondering – idly, I'll admit – if any software could come remotely close.

Offline ShannonB

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Mom
    • B4Gear.net
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 08:42:11 PM »
I would definately be down for helping with this project!

Also, would it be possible to use DragonSpeach iPhone app for this? Im going to just pick one ep and do a test run with it.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 09:06:01 PM »
My advice:

a) There should be a master editor who is responsible for proofing all the transcripts before they get submitted to a Admin for upload. This master editor can keep the transcripts uniform-looking in their formatting and grammar and syntax, since different people will transcribe in different ways. (Some people go crazy with too many commas, some people want to include every last "uh" and "um," some people are too generous with em-dashes and parentheses, etc.) Also the master editor can make sure the transcriber got each and every technical word correct, like all the names of and numeric designations of and calibers for different guns, or the correct spelling of a guest's name, or the correct way to format the call numbers of a House Resolution that is about to be voted upon in Congress, or the correct name of a town that comes up in the news, etc. 

b) I also think that a VERY expanded version of "Show Notes" should be included on Page One of each transcript. The expanded version would be more than just the links to this and that around the web, but even a dry list of every unique word mentioned in the podcast. By "unique word" I mean the exact name/caliber of a gun, or the exact name of a person from history that Jack mentions during the podcast  (like Thomas Jefferson or Fibonacci), or the exact name of a web hosting site Jack names as a very cool site to do business with (like Host Gator), or the exact name of a huge corporation (like Monsanto).   That way, Page One can serve as an at-a-glance guide to the contents of each transcript.

c) I think that a sub-forum for housing the transcripts here would be awesome. But perhaps that sub-forum should be read-only, or else maybe it should be restricted in such a way that only admins can start new threads, but regular posters are still allowed to post in those already-started threads. That way, the admins can control the wording of the thread titles so that they titles are all uniform with each other like a card catalog. 

Just my suggestions. 

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 07:55:28 AM »
Oil Lady, thanks for those suggestions which would give us a very professional product.  I think we're going to be limited by a very small pool of volunteer labor, and we will have to make the best of what we get.  I wouldn't want to delay the posting of a first-draft transcript because of the lack of a master editor, but we could always replace a draft with an edited version if someone steps up to do the work.

Of course, all transcribers and editors will get full credit for their labors, undying gratitude, and possibly a reward in the afterlife if we can pull some strings. 8)

However we host the transcripts, I'm sure they will be read-only.  We've already got the Show Discussions board here for related discussion.

Which podcasts to transcribe?  Actually this is simple.  The volunteer transcriber decides.  Sure, anyone can make suggestions, but the person who's actually donating the effort should be the one to choose where that effort goes.

Thanks to everybody who is even thinking about participating in this project! :)

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
So far i am 8min of 64min done...   
8min = about 2hrs   (what can i say, i am a slow typer)    :P

I agree that this is not a one man job.  but not too crazy.

My humble thoughts as newbie:
  • maybe instead of cash... karma  ;D
  • I see a huge need for admin before we post transcriptions (such as how to formate the text)
  • maybe not one person per episode, but 5min for each person
  • remember one caught up, new episodes can be attacked by the 'typing mob'

for those of you thinking about starting this. let me know what you use. Always glad to hear ways to make life easier.

Was using:   
   iPod and Word.

Now using:
Chrome Web browser  (it plays MP3s, and has shortcut keys for rewind)
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ogokenmicnjdfhmhocanoemnddmpcjjm

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
I've begun work on episode 875. I'm using Windows Media Player, and I've found you can actually slow down the speed of the audio without too much distortion, here's a video on it and this page has further advice on the matter not only with WMP but with other softwares as well.

Could I throw out a recommendation that we skip full transcriptions of the sponsors? Instead, just writing the sponsors' names and the main blurb should be sufficient, IMO. I have nearly 2 pages of straight text from the sponsorships alone, and bringing that down would be most efficient both for transcribing as well as those reading the transcriptions afterwards.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 10:10:26 AM »
for now skip the first "house keeping".

I can go back and use my "house keeping" as a template, and change as needed.