Author Topic: I'm spending 3 weeks camping  (Read 3798 times)

Offline phobos

• Prepper
I'm spending 3 weeks camping
« on: April 11, 2012, 07:57:16 PM »
Next mouth I am planning on spending three weeks campaign. Do you have any suggestions on skills I should work on. I will be working about an hour from home and don't want to use the gas or spend money on a hotel. I will have 4 -5 hours a day to fill. The skills I plan on working on are fire building, rope making, and glass knapping. I am a eagle scout so I do have a good base set of skills I want to Polish them up and learn some new stuff. I look forward to your suggestions.

endurance

Re: I'm spending 3 weeks camping
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 08:22:19 PM »
I'd buy Tom Brown's book Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking, start studying it now, and bring it with you into the field.  There is so much you can learn by spending a few consecutive days or weeks camped out in the same spot and making daily observations.  How do deer tracks look five minutes after the deer passes through a grassy field? through mud? through forest duff?  How do they look after an hour in dry conditions?  In windy conditions?  After a light rain?  After four or five hours?  After a couple of days? 

Making daily observations can really make a difference in how you perceive the natural world and make you a much more observant person in all situations.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 09:19:16 PM »

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 06:42:43 PM »
I spent all summer camping last year, but I didn't have the luxury of being in one location.  I had to pack up and move camp with my every morning.  Because of this, most of the skills I improved were tent site location, tent set-up, fire building, and bathing without a shower or bath tub.  Once I took care of those four things it was usually time to sleep.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 06:17:38 AM »
Be sure to take some binoculars with you to do some bird/animal watching during the day and star gazing at night. Keep a journal about your experience as it is always fun to look back years later.

Offline Wingman115

• Survivor
    • Wingman115 YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 10:16:54 AM »
Keep us posted on how it's working out. I'm interested on how it went for you and what you did to prep.

Offline phobos

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 06:46:06 PM »
I have the book and will put it to some use. I going to get some guides on wild eatable plants. I plan on doing a lot of post on my blog those weeks, so I will put some links hear.

Offline phobos

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 04:59:48 PM »
Monday was the first night. I got it was raining bad so I stayed at a friends house. The next night I stayed in my tarp shelter. I stayed dry though the night time rains. I spent most of the evening walking around the camp ground. Last night a cop told me I could not camp there and had me follow him to a RV park.  Those people with there TVs an air conditions look at me like. I was nuts for. Sleeping under a tarp. To night I am saying with a coworker because my car had a serious bracket down. I might have blown the engine.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
Yeah.. don't worry about the RVers looking at you. I camped for 5 months in a tent, my truck and my moms couch while pregnant as I still had stuff I had to do in the USA and Canada. I stayed at the same 2 campsites heading north and south and people got to know me.

Cedar