Author Topic: Questions on the best way to trap or kill coyotes  (Read 3367 times)

Offline IAShooters

• Prepper
    • IA Shooters
Questions on the best way to trap or kill coyotes
« on: April 13, 2012, 08:51:04 AM »
Compatriots,

My dogs have been barking like crazy that past few nights and I figured out that we have some coyotes coming around to check out my chicken coop.  :(

I am looking for advice on the best method to trap or kill coyotes before they figure out how to get at my chickens. 

Chicken coop should be fairly predator proof, but I worry that the coyotes will start coming back during the day when the chickens are outside.

thanks for the help.

Wired1979

IAShooters

Come Join the Shooting Community at WWW.IASHOOTERS.ORG

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
Re: Questions on the best way to trap or kill coyotes
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 11:19:48 AM »
Big box traps are pricey and its hard to get them to go in.
Foot holds work ,using the step down dirt hole set. But then you have a dog.
I use snares and put my dog up at night. But then you have to take them down in the morning and reset in the evening.
Poison is a Non issue ,so i would say bait ,call and shoot them.
I place some thing dead and stinky about 4 foot in the air ,and call using a rabbit indestress call ,a spot light and 12 gauge.
Good luck , packs eather run a large circle or set up a den and pop in on you.

P.s. most snares dont kill they just hold the animal

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 11:46:19 AM »
Everthing 4bull said. Also, is it possible that it is another type of animal and not a yote? Other animals including domestic like chickens for dinner. Maybe a trail cam for a night or two would reveal the predator. I worked as a mechanic on a ranch many years ago and remember working late nights on the haying equipment in the shop and have a pack of twenty five or so circle the shop sniffing the ground. I never felt I was in danger but that's a few animals at once.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

"Survival is a form of rebellion, living is the punishment" Mr. Smith from the movie "The Way Back"

"Those who would give up freedom for a little security deserve neither" Ben Franklin

Ride hard as you can, rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thouroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "man what a ride!" Author unknown

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 12:26:16 PM »
A varmit call and this . . . .

“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline IAShooters

• Prepper
    • IA Shooters
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 02:30:38 PM »
Everthing 4bull said. Also, is it possible that it is another type of animal and not a yote? Other animals including domestic like chickens for dinner. Maybe a trail cam for a night or two would reveal the predator. I worked as a mechanic on a ranch many years ago and remember working late nights on the haying equipment in the shop and have a pack of twenty five or so circle the shop sniffing the ground. I never felt I was in danger but that's a few animals at once.

its a coyote, seen him last night running into my grove.   >:(
IAShooters

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 05:14:39 PM »
We have the same problem and I've gone out on a number of nights with the AR when they've been close, but no luck to date.  We have a lot of neighborhood dogs, so positive identification and a rifle seems like the best option.  I'm in the process of mounting a 900 lumen focusable light to the carbine so I can identify targets out to about 75-100 yards.  I have the flashlight and it's definitely bright enough since it's a light that can be focused, but I only recently found a mount that I think will work clicky.  That said, I haven't mated them up yet, but it should work.  I also want to change the switch to a simple momentary on instead of the multi-function on/off with no momentary.  Having to cycle through five different functions is more of a disadvantage than an advantage.

...and yes, I need to get out the predator call and confirm the local laws on using them at night.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 06:03:40 PM »
I've found that a BLR chambered in .243 works pretty good.

Seriously, they can be baited, and shot fairly easily. Trapping canines is not all that easy. They are pretty crafty.
I could go into the baiting process, but I'm afraid it wouldn't look good in print ;)

FWIW they die pretty easy. I have a coworker that kills them in his pasture with a 22mag bolt gun fairly regularly.
"A shotgun, a rifle, and a 4 wheel drive, a country boy can survive"

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 06:12:42 PM »
.223 HP work wonders on them too.

Agree with all, call and shoot. I went coyote hunting in WY some years back with a guy who used only his voice - no electronics, no tools of any kind. And about 7AM in bright sun across a wide open field he got one to come in, saw her about 400 yards out and let her come in to about 35 before we stopped her.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these to others, and I require the same from them.

J.B. Books

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 06:24:37 PM »
For some reason up here the calls don't always work. Seems to be seasonal.
Bait however, works every time. 8)
"A shotgun, a rifle, and a 4 wheel drive, a country boy can survive"

Offline LemonsCorner

• Survivor
  • One Family's Journey To a More Sustainable Life
    • Lemon's Corner
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 08:13:59 PM »
I use a pair of these. Now I only find pieces of their kills.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 10:24:04 AM »
Coyotes can be hell to trap. The best method we have found is to always be coyote hunting while hunting other game, and baiting.

We have big open hay fields on our place so we will pick a spot to place bait where we have a concealed route to an overlook point around 100 yards away from the bait sight. Then we will spend a several days picking up every roadkill deer we can get our hands on and placing at the bait sight. If you use smaller animals they just carry them off. We will let them get comfortable at the bait for a couple of days then we will sneak in with AR-15's and 30rnd mags locked and loaded. Listen till we can hear several coyotes on the pile. Hit the lights and start shooting. We've never been able to kill them all but we have pushed them away for awhile.

If you get really lucky you can find the den and shoot them as they come and go. Once you get as many adults you think you can, get the pups if they are still there.

Repeat next year.

I haven't tried it yet but I was told that placing bait with a literal mine field of foothold traps around it is productive. The guy telling me this said he set them so thick it was impoosible for a coyote to get to the bait without stepping in a trap. Then he sat back and waited until he heard traps going off like crazy. Once he didn't hear traps anymore he walked in with a light and shot all the coyotes.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 10:52:42 AM »
LOL trekker ,i did that the first time i got call out to hunt them out , every trap i had was on log chains locked to a post .
the bigger (skunk is best ) the stink the better .

An old farmer put a T post in deep in a hole  then drops a trap ring over it ,then dirty ,diaper, dirt, trap on the other side ,trap ,Dipper  dirt .
up the post he bedded the traps , dirt, diaper, dirt , sounds nasty ,he walks out shoots the yot pulls the trap  walks off,almost every day.LOL

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 11:20:21 AM »
Are you having issues with coyotes? Did you know on average they eat 22 mice a day? I used to have coyote and wolves all around my property with 75+ animals on it and the only loss I had of livestock in 6 years was from hawks. Not cougar, not fox, not bear, not coyote, not lynx, not wolves, all of which crossed my property on a daily basis. One female coyote even had a litter of 19 pups in the slash pile across the road from me.

I used to hear them yip and howl night after night for weeks (for years) until one night it came from under my bedroom window less than 10" from my head. I then borrowed a gun and she would come and mock me just out of the light of the cabin. You could feel her sitting there laughing at me, as she was JUST in the dark. But even at that there was never an issue and eventually she moved on.

The problem with baiting, is if you did not have an issue before, you could be bringing in more predators than you had before. Kinda like hanging out a neon sign like at a fast food restaurant.

I hate poison as not very controllable as to what animal gets into it.

When I moved into the bush, I realized the chances I took there. And I was moving into the wild animals home. In fact the day I moved in there was a black bear on the cabin's porch. Their area is getting smaller and smaller. I made sure I had stout fences, animals were in at night and it must have worked other than that hawk, who met his demise (and no I did not shoot it, someone else did). But sometimes the threat one thinks, is not always the reality. So although I know coyote can be more than a nuisense, they can be beneficial as well.

This one had just been digging for and hunting mice with its mate.

Their primary diet is made up of small rodents, but coyotes are opportunistic and will consume a vast array of foods including birds and insects, fruit and vegetables, human garbage and compost, outdoor pet food and small free-roaming pets. Typically only the dominant pair breeds and produces one litter per year.

Reducing Human-Coyote Conflicts

Never deliberately feed a coyote or other wild mammal.
    Securely cover garbage cans and compost bins.
    Remove fallen fruit from yards.
    Don't feed pets outside
    Eliminate opportunities for rats to breed in and around your yard.
    Never deliberately approach a coyote and teach children to respect all wildlife from a distance.
    Keep house pets indoors and allow only controlled access to the outdoors (fenced yards and leashes). Always keep pets in from dusk to dawn when coyotes are most active.
    To prevent coyotes from entering your yard consider removing unnecessary brush, installing a motion-sensitive lighting system, or installing a coyote proof fence. To be    effective fences must be at least six feet tall, have no openings greater than four inches and should extend flush with the ground.
    If you do not want coyotes around your home, let them know that they are not welcome.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline oldevolkshome

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 04:03:54 PM »
Prepper, from my experience they WILL come back and take chickens during the day if they're out.  I had it happen, right in front of me.  I've gone the call and shoot route.  Called one in the first time I tried calling and my wife ended his chicken stealing days with her .270 at 115 yards.  I'm using a 22-250, Harris bi-pod, Leupold 6-20, full camo, etc., etc.  Called a second one in before I got the bipod, he caught me off guard and I missed him.  Which is a problem, I understand, because if you "educate" them they get very hard to call in again.  I don't ever feel bad about taking a coyote.  They might eat mice, but they also eat a lot of fawns, and I happen to like venison.  Besides, try as we may, we will never kill off all the coyotes.  We almost did with the wolves once, but never the coyotes.  They're too smart and adaptable. 

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 04:44:38 PM »
Prepper, from my experience they WILL come back and take chickens during the day if they're out.  I had it happen, right in front of me.  I've gone the call and shoot route.  Called one in the first time I tried calling and my wife ended his chicken stealing days with her .270 at 115 yards.  I'm using a 22-250, Harris bi-pod, Leupold 6-20, full camo, etc., etc.  Called a second one in before I got the bipod, he caught me off guard and I missed him.  Which is a problem, I understand, because if you "educate" them they get very hard to call in again.  I don't ever feel bad about taking a coyote.  They might eat mice, but they also eat a lot of fawns, and I happen to like venison.  Besides, try as we may, we will never kill off all the coyotes.  We almost did with the wolves once, but never the coyotes.  They're too smart and adaptable.

And calves too. IIRC, I posted here someplace about a buddy who had to sell one of his cows, after she healed up. Seems the coyotes got to her as she was birthing a calf. They took the calf and chewed up her backside rather badly in the process. Calf gone, and a young cow's breeding life stopped cold.

In a good year out west, you can figure on a 5-6% calf loss to critter and disease. Bad years, more, and then you factor in the loss of breeding cows and it doesn't take long to see they can make a real impact when a cow is going for $1200 at market to replace a loss.

They can eat all the mice and ground squirrels and pocket gophers they want. Problem is, they don't stop at just that.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these to others, and I require the same from them.

J.B. Books

Offline Joe in TN

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 04:49:26 PM »
I use a pair of these. Now I only find pieces of their kills.

Awesome!  Dogs doing what they're meant to do.  Very nice too, by the way.  Semper Fi,

Joe

Offline grizz2225

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 07:43:48 PM »
I've been told.  Never tried it, but been told by a very reliable source. To wound the animal. If you wound it you teach the rest of the pack not to come around. If you kill it they might not learn that lesson. I've not had any trouble with coyotes or wolves, but its always in the back of my mind.

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 07:55:26 PM »
I've been told.  Never tried it, but been told by a very reliable source. To wound the animal. If you wound it you teach the rest of the pack not to come around. If you kill it they might not learn that lesson. I've not had any trouble with coyotes or wolves, but its always in the back of my mind.
The flaw I see in that is that coyotes are not pack animals.  They're very solitary except when a female still has her pups around. 
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline grizz2225

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 08:02:19 PM »
The flaw I see in that is that coyotes are not pack animals.  They're very solitary except when a female still has her pups around.

There are other flaws too but he claimed it worked. I personally think its pretty inhumane. Not to mention the risk of running into said wounded animal somewhere and getting mauled.

Offline grizz2225

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 08:06:14 PM »
Also I've seen coyotes run in packs. Not big groups mind you but 6-10. I had 5 on my trail cam two years ago.

Offline IAShooters

• Prepper
    • IA Shooters
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 09:54:30 AM »
Compatriots,

Turns out not only do I have coyotes, a darn fox came in this weekend and stole 4 chickens.   :(

I chased her out of my yard, unfortunately I was not armed at the time.  Looks like I am on a mission now to eliminate the predator population in my area.

wired1979

IAShooters