Author Topic: berky water filters  (Read 2435 times)

Offline dr andy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
berky water filters
« on: April 16, 2012, 10:24:17 PM »
I am having trouble with the Berkey Water filters.  I have 2 carbon and 2 fluoride filters.  I've had to flush them 2 times.  Each time they work for about a week then eventually stops filtering.  I filter tap water from our local reservoir.   Does anyone else have similar problems?   Any other filtration systems that are less problematic and efficient?

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
Re: berky water filters
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 10:49:31 PM »
Make sure and scrub the black charcoal filters every 3 months with a soft kitchen scrubber. That is usually the maintenance I perform on my Berkey. The flouride filters need replacing more often than the charcoal.

I replace my flouride filters every 6 months and the charcoal at 12 months.

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 11:20:16 AM »
What do you mean by "stops filtering".  Does the flow into the bottom reservoir stop?

Offline desertmarine

• Prepper
  • Certified Master Herbalist
    • My Heirloom Seeds
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 10:02:10 AM »
Make sure and scrub the black charcoal filters every 3 months with a soft kitchen scrubber. That is usually the maintenance I perform on my Berkey. The flouride filters need replacing more often than the charcoal.

I replace my flouride filters every 6 months and the charcoal at 12 months.

I live and die with my Berkey.  Been a loyal customer for over 3 years.  However, a few months ago I was re-priming one of the black filters and got a major leakage from the top of the filter.  After doing some research I found out that some of the filters (depending on their manufactured date) were defective.  Not a good thing to hear if your filter is your only source for obtaining drinkable water. 

At any rate order replacements with two extras in case something happens.  Thus far since August the new ones are holding up. 

Other than that Berkey is a wonderful company and highly recommended.

Desert Marine