Author Topic: Disaster Response Think Tank  (Read 5674 times)

Offline November Foxtrot

• Prepper
Disaster Response Think Tank
« on: April 16, 2012, 11:59:57 PM »
Would anyone be interested in possibly kicking around a disaster response program for tornado/hurricane/ flood/forest fire etc areas? These types of things are all relatively localized to a region-sized area...a group of preppers with tools, knowledge and gear could have a significant impact in a disaster zone.

This is not only an opportunity to "practice" shtf stuff but I think it's the right thing to do....and imagine how much a prepper could learn from a situation like that.. A well outfitted prepper team could also provide minor first aid, clean up, demo, comfort, rebuilding and,  most Udall, it would give us an opportunity to spread the word and knowledge about the TSP message and the twelve tenets etc.

Infant idea right now but,  even if No one replies, I think I'll do this anyways....

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Disaster Response Think Tank
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 12:01:45 AM »
Can you explain more?

Cedar

Offline November Foxtrot

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 12:10:38 AM »
Can you explain more?

Cedar

Sure.  LeT's use this last round of tornadoes for example...
Right now there are hundreds of everyday people struggling after having a localized shtf event.  If a group of preppers all agreed to meet outside the impact zone and then went in to offer assistance...

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 12:51:12 AM »
Ok.. not before a disaster, but after. Cleanup and helping folks. I HIGHLY recommend taking some SAR classes (they are usually free) and pay particular attention to disaster stuff. Even as a searcher I was not allowed to go into a building until I got the all clear from the building inspector. Yes the house is down, but "will it come down more" is his job at that point. I usually got something like you have a 90% chance it will stay put.. or a HECK NO, you are not going into that one at this time.

Cedar - who misses her partner

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 08:32:39 AM »
Cedar, as usual, is right. We think we know what we are, but unless we have been thoroughly trained and have got some experience (even if exercises), we would be more a liability than an asset. Even such tasks as debris removal requires specialized knowledge and heavy equipment. Yank on the wrong thing...... You get the picture.

Then there are such issues as C3; Command, Control and Communications. As an on-scene commander, I would hesitate to send an unknown into a hazardous situation without knowing what they are capable of and not being able to talk to them.

If you want to get involved, you are much better off getting in contact with your local Disaster Preparedness Office and seeing what volunteer opportunities there are. Or check out your OFFICIAL State Militia, Civil Air Patrol, Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc.

Disaster Response is a serious business - not for the faint of heart or the untrained. It can be awesomely rewarding, or it can tear you up. Whatever it is, what it isn't is a job for well meaning amateurs. 

soupbone

Offline November Foxtrot

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 08:38:04 AM »
Maybe before and/or after.  Even if it was to board up houses and small businesses before or....clean up debris after after. I don't know really if it would be a business model or just pro bono.  Either way how would I fund it? Donations maybe?

Offline November Foxtrot

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 08:47:25 AM »
After thinking about you are both right.  I am part of a disaster response team for my employer,  a worldwide retailer,  but I've never been deployed.  I have some bizarre need inside of me to be part of sonething  like this.  I guess training and volunteering are the best first steps. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 08:48:42 AM »
Maybe before and/or after.  Even if it was to board up houses and small businesses before or....clean up debris after after. I don't know really if it would be a business model or just pro bono.  Either way how would I fund it? Donations maybe?

As a searcher it all came out of our pockets.

That said, I am not trying to kill off your idea. YES, volunteers will be needed, but usually they are placed under the wing of someone who is SAR certified or put somewhere that will free up someone else who is certified. I often had volunteers put under me as help. I remember a man named Don who I put through the third degree before we were out of camp. If I am going out with someone I don't know into a dangerous situation that me or my dog could get killed in, I wanted to be able to trust that person. And that is kinda dicey just meeting that person 5 minutes before. Don sticks out in my mind as he put up with all my questions without an attitude, knew map and compass and I felt comfortable with him.

If you are going to do it as a business, you will have to get through red tape. POLITICS! POLITICS! POLITICS! Even agencies get territorial and "my turf-ish". It is weird and it is stupid, but it exists.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 08:54:05 AM »
After thinking about you are both right.  I am part of a disaster response team for my employer,  a worldwide retailer,  but I've never been deployed.  I have some bizarre need inside of me to be part of sonething  like this.  I guess training and volunteering are the best first steps.

Start by calling your local country sheriff office and see if they have a SAR team. Often they will. My own county has a disaster response 'thingy' online that you can sign up for and it lets you tell what your skills are. It is like a call out list I think. I added myself and my skills. You may have something similar. Good luck. It is rewarding in doing it, you will get overwhelmed, you will be sad, you will be happy, you will have nightmares, you keep going back.. until one day you don't.

Cedar

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 09:38:47 AM »
you might also check and see if your community has a CERT (comunity emergency response team) program.

Offline TLBones

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Forum Chupacabra
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 04:57:06 AM »
You could always team up with a couple of local preppers and volunteer with the red cross or your fire dept./SAR as a "individuals volunteering together".   Even if you are just individuals volunteering together to a larger organization at least having the prepping in common might be a morale booster to stick with it. 

Offline November Foxtrot

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 06:36:16 PM »
All great thoughts.  I'm now looking into taking some official training so that i can go forward with this. My county has a CERT but it looks like im going to do some first aid training first . Thanks for weighing in everyone.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 07:57:04 PM »
All great thoughts.  I'm now looking into taking some official training so that i can go forward with this. My county has a CERT but it looks like im going to do some first aid training first . Thanks for weighing in everyone.

I have my SAR cards online for a blog I did once, but you can see what you have to get trained in just for basic. First Aid and CPR are the beginning. You end up being a First responder which is just a level below an EMT. It does not have all my classes on there like high angle rescue, scent dog, cadavers, water rescue, urban, child and adult psychology of when they are lost, winter survival etc.

I was Oregon and Washington State certified, but was able to go worldwide if required. I promised my family I would only stay in the PNW. They hated that I did SAR to begin with.

Cedar
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:04:02 PM by Cedar »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 08:09:40 PM »
And I feel everyone should take First Aid and CPR every two years anyway

Cedar - who needs to sign up for a class again too

Offline atleif

• Prepper
  • So long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 05:21:28 PM »
I see the point of keeping safe and leaving it to pros. However I still see plenty of safe opportunities such as supplying food,water,ice, used clothes ect. as far as clean up there are things such as cleaning the street of debris (not structures).  As part of fl division of forestry we do such things plus debris removal from roads. Most of us only have basic first responder skills and chainsaw knowledge. As far as using a chainsaw i realize it can be dangerous and i would suggest only doing it if you feel comfortable in your ability to use one.   Another possibility could be providing people transportation to their temporary housing, providing port-a-poties ect.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 09:49:27 PM »
http://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/index.shtm Lots of good beginner info here along with links to state programs to sign up for

download and read all the materials, there's even an online intro course thats avail. Click on the training materials link and scroll down to the IS-317 click the link to take the course